HISD Pre-K

Has anyone ever enrolled their three-year-old in a Houston ISD school? I'm having difficulty doing so (red tape, it seems), and would like to know how you did it. What school? How did you qualify? Etc.

You can try Wilson Elementary School @ 2100 Yupon. It is a Montessori school and is a Houston ISD School. I do know that the Pre-K classes are really good. Try there. Phone Number to the school is: ###-###-####. My kids went there when they were elementary school kids. My son just finished the 5th grade there and is on his way to Middle school at Lanier.

Not all campuses have 3 year old Pre-K. You will have to call around and then you will have to qualify. It is for low income or English limited students. I do happen to know that most schools are not required to verify income. If your child would qualify for free lunch, then he would qualify for Pre-K.

There are some schools with Magnet programs (Montessori) that accept 3 yr olds. We live in SE Houston, but my son is attending an HISD school (Montessori program) in Montrose. If your child is accepted to a magent program you can attend a school outside of the one your specifically zoned to. You would need to check out the website or call specific HISD schools in your area to confirm whether or not they will accept 3 yr olds. Pre-K is only free if you qualify (low income, english not 1st language), but they may also accept you on a tuition basis. Another option may be Head Start. Good luck!

Hi!

I moved here from out of town 3 years ago and tried to enroll my kinder in HISD. They utilize the lottery system here for the "magnet programs". There is red tape, but I learned the rules of the game and stayed persistent. Check out the HISD website. My kids are enrolled at a dual language school (Spanish) that has a pre-k program. I love the school and the teachers. My children have been there 2 years and are speaking Spanish! The shool is adding the 7th grade this year and plans to continue up until the 8th grade in order to keep the kids' language skills growing until high school. Stay encouraged!

It is my understanding that to enroll in an HISD Pre-school your child needs to be 4yrs old, you must be a low income family and/or your child speaks English as a second language. A great school that offers Pre-K is Barbara Bush elm. I have not experienced it first hand, however, I am a substitute teacher and the school gets great reviews.

will he be 4 before Sept. 1? If so, then the way you qualify for PK (free) is if you are low income. Dependent on your income or if the child does not speak English. Unfortunately the state does not provide money for PK to be free anymore so we middle class people get stuck in the middle. We make too much money for certain things but yet we struggle for others. I hope this is helpful. I work for Spring Branch ISD and that is how it is here. Good Luck!

Hi as far as I know, your child needs to be 4yrs. old to enroll in a Pre-K program (hence the name pre-kindergarden) otherwise It is a day carel/mothers day out/pre-school which usually is private schooling. There might be head start programs from HISD but again I think your child needs to be 4. If it's a financial issue, usually the schools have financial aide. Check your church etc.. to see if they have a pre-school or mothers day out program. Lots of these places cater to working parents & have before & after care. You could look into a Montessori
school as well. Good Luck.

Hi. I work in HISd. Most schools don't take pre-k 3. You can try the Martin Luther King pre-k center or look on the website houstonisd.org and find the pre-k centers. they really like them to be four because of the maturity. Private catholic schools have pre-k 3 and four. email me if you need anymore help. ____@____.com

1 / 3