Hiring a Nanny

I am hiring a nanny for my 5 year old for a few nights per week. This is my first time doing this. I am an education major, so I am spreading the word with other Ed majors and college student would be ideal.

Anyway, this is new territory for me. Any advice on specific questions to ask or things to consider? Any helpful websites? What to do or not do? I am an open book, so any advice would be helpful!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Make sure to get references, ask for a dmv driving record if they will be transporting your child at all, and see if there is an inexpensive way to do a background check online. And make sure to call the references. You're looking for someone who knows how to be around a 5 year old, not just someone wanting a job :)
Your child is also old enough to meet the applicants and give you input on the decision, might not hurt.

Lots of people think they are qualified to be a nanny (and maybe lots are) but you will probably get a lot of applications. Save yourself TONS of time and grief by not actually meeting any of these people until you interview the best few on the phone. Then, call the references of the one or two you like best. Now, if this were a full-time job and you were stealing someone away from a competing company, this strategy wouldn't work. But is has served me well over the past 11 years. (Only 5 nannies during that period, who were are GREAT.) Also, my youngest are now 6 and 4. Our current nanny brings her five year old. I have to say, the kids are such darling friends. With a child your age, I would seriously consider someone who could bring her child, unless you want tutoring, or structured activities during that period.

R.,

I have been a full time nanny for years. I use care.com. It is great. You can either search for nannys in your area OR post an ad which will then email to nannys in your area.

Set up plenty of interviews. As the other poster said make sure they have great references. And call all of them. Another big thing set up trial days for the nanny. A couple days where you can be around doing other things in the house and seeing how they interact and making sure they're a good fit.

I have a nanny contract and a long list of nanny interview questions that I'd be happy to share, if you'd like. We LOVE our nanny!

PM me your email address, and I'll forward them over.

Search this sites "library" for everything you need to know. Questions to ask..questions nannies should ask you, taxes and legality issues...all sorts of stuff. As a former nanny (now a home childcare provider), I highly recommend their resource library for parents and nannies. Both sides can benefit from something there!

http://www.nannynetwork.com/library/Parentlib/hiringa.cfm

try www.care.com they have a questionare and all sorts of things to help

I am a nanny. Here are some questions that are always asked of me / and some that I always ask.
What is his schedule? (sleep, food, play, homework etc)
what do you use for treats?
What are your discipline policies?
Do you allow me to take them places? (museum, park etc)
Who pays for any field trips you would like done?
What would you like me to do with/for him?
how many nanny's have you had? (big red flag if parent has been thru a lot of nannies) (big red flag on nanny if she has been thru multiple families in a short amount of time unless that is what she specializes in is short term care)
Are you willing to take a background check?
Do you have references? (be prepared to offer your own references as well)
Do you want someone at your house or mine?
What are you used to paying? How many hours? Is that weekly or hourly? This makes a huge difference. I accept jobs based on a weekly amount only not hourly. As I am setting aside a specific amount of time for this job. If the parent takes a day off and doesn't need me the electricity bill still needs to be paid lol) I do take weekend jobs but charge higher amounts for hourly single day jobs.

1 / 3