Highlights, How to Get Rid of Red/Orange

Hi! Moms, I just highlighted my medium brown hair and it came out orange, what i like to know is what kind of color toner should i use and which product is best to use.PLEASE HELP I never knew how hard it is to get an answer for this question, But I' am not giving up.

Hi J., You may have to strip the color out first before you get the color you want. Brown hair has red pigments. I have light brown hair and when I color it I use light Ash so I do not get red or orange. I have also used Frost and Tip. If you get the one that shows dark brown hair it should have a strong enough blonde to get the result you want. I know it is expensive but the best way is to have it done at a beauty shop. They know what they are doing. My best, Grandma Mary

I've done this before... and learned quickly. (ha,ha)... always pick a color with "Ash" in the title. otherwise, you'll get red/orange highlights.

Aveda has a line of conditioners that leave pigment in your hair - red, brown, or blond. The brown one (clove) might tone down your hair if you don't want to further process it.

Try calling the consumer help line for the product you bought - such as Loreal. They have color specialists you can talk to. Check their web site for number.

The reason it came orange is because the color was not lifted enough in the bleaching process. I would call the number on the box and they will be able to help you, however the highlights will not be able to be made blonder just toned down maybe to a lighter brown. Highlights are tricky to do on your own. Most people who have success doing it themselves have dark blonde or really light brown hair. For medium brown to dark brown the hair has to go through all of the red stages to get to the blonde. Sometimes the over the counter stuff is just not strong enough. It usually takes a trained eye to know when to rinse the bleach because the hair always looks lighter then it is with the bleach on. I am sure whatever product you used has a hotline number that can help you for the time being. Good luck!!

call the 1-800-number on the box. I had that happen to me before, they told me exactly what to use and how to get rid of it, then sent me coupons/gift certificates for like $50 worth of products as a bonus apaology. They were very helpful and the free stuff was great!

How long has it been? Sometimes, it takes a while to oxidize/"calm down" and not be so bright. Same thing happened to me and I waited about a month and decided it was still too orange and bright so I dyed my hair dark brown which kind of evened the orange out. You have to wait a while to do another dye because you don't want your hair to fall out from all of the chemicals. Good luck. Hope my suggestion helped a little.

*kim*

Dear J.:
I would strongly recommend going to a salon to fix it. I know it will cost extra-wear a cap for a week or two and condition your hair a few times (leave in conditioner for an hour or two-even over- night) and then have them correct it at the salon. It will really be worth it-I have had this happen a few times and learned the hard way. Good Luck!

1 / 3