High White Blood Cell Count

my 1 yr old has been sick off and on since mid oct. in nov. he was put in the hospital with a viral infection and has just been sickly since...ear infections upper respirtory problems colds the whole nine yards. i took him for his 12 month checkup and the did a routine blood drawl no biggie other than him screaming and fighting the nurses of course. well today i took him back to the doc(its been a week and a half) he is having upper respirtory issues again and he had a spot in his diaper area that turned into staff infection also can handle this been thru it before with my other kids. so we get ready to leave and the doc says he needs to come back in a week after hes been on antibiotics to redo hes blood. they said that his white blood cell count was way too high and they wanted to recheck it after antibiotics. now when they did it the first time he wasnt sick so we are hoping the reason is the staff infection and we just didnt know he had it yet but other options are lupus and luekemia so i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen or has any info or opinions would love to hear them all. im sure its nothing but i like to have all the info i can and be prepared for anything thanks so much!

thank you all so much for the support and advice i got for my sons having high white blood cell count! we went back to the doc on monday to recheck his blood and the called me today with the results. his wbc is still elevated and now his platlets are elevated. we go back next monday to do another cbc so much fun not at all so this is the updated so far and i will keep everyone posted with the results of the next test. thank you so much again for all your prayers!

the amstrong family

When my little girl was 3 she was very ill for 3 months, they thought she might have leukemia, I put her on liquid minerals and she responded right away, maybe this will help you. I also tried dag, (an herbal solution) for my daughters diaper rash which was staph.

Dear A.,
I have been a nurse 32 years (a cancer/hematology nurse and a mother/baby nurse). There are many things that can cause a high white cell count-most of them are not to worry about. If your son had leukemia, all the white cells would be what we call "skewed"-not in the normal percentages. The doctor wouldn't be waiting if the counts were really off.
I have seen too many people sick for months at a time this year. The strain of flu that came around is strong and not covered by the flu shots available. It frequently leads to pneumonia and bronchitis, and the respiratory issues linger awhile. Your son may be completely normal and just have had the flu to start this process.
No matter, I agree with those who encourage adding high quality natural vitamins and minerals to his diet. He needs good nutrition to replace the sick cells as they die with healthy cells. He needs added nutrition because the antibiotics and illness have cut down on his ability to use his foods well. The antibiotics have likely killed all his "good" intestinal bacteria, which hurts digestion and absorption. He does need Optiflora by Shaklee-it's the only product I've found to actually work like it says it will. I recommend it often. You would need to put the tiny pill in warm water for awhile to soften it, then give it with a bite of something soft and thick. The powder that goes with it is sweet tasting, and can be given in anything. It feeds and supports the "good" bacteria, and helps support the colon.
I do phone and email consultations without charge, if you have questions.

The angles will help. A long time ago, anyway the basic problem was allgeries to dust etc. My son, who is now 42, still remebers erthomycian( the antibotic) of choice back then. So pray and clean your house. My son was also "alergic " to his own bacteria on his skin. And would reinfect himself. We did all the protocal for allergies. Washable rugs., little clorax, double rinse on his clothes., strip the room, no dust catchers. Toys were wahed frequently Anyway God bless and keep positive.

Did they lance the area where the staph infection was to drain the pus? What was the white count? If not, and his WBC was too high, he really needs to be on IV antibiotics and checked more often than in a week. A staph infection is serious!!! My son had one and he had to be hospitalized, had surgery and IV antibiotics. I am a nurse and I see abscesses on a regular basis, children need more urgent treatment than an adult on this. You may need to see a surgeon for this if its a "boil" or abscess. Clindamycin is usually the RX for MRSA, or Bactrim DS suspension. ALso you need to do hot soaks with warm compresses on the area every 3-4 hours while awake. Let me know! GOod luck. Nick

Hi my name is M. B I have a child with Luekemia (ALL). It can develope very fast please see a hemotologist or a dr. that deals with kids with cancer (Childrens Hospital, St. Judes) do not over look this. If you feel you are not getting any answers please see another Dr. soon. There may be something wrong with your childs immune system. They need run a full cbc and anc count. Take it from me they may be the doctors, but you're the MOM!!! Good Luck, My prayers are with you and your family...

I don't know much about high blood counts so I won't be much help, I just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you, your little one, and your family.

A.

Just some thoughts from a mom like you: I don't know about leukemia, but just being sick raising white blood cell count. Make sure you finish off the whole batch of antibiotic, even if he's feeling better - most people don't finish the dose, and that makes it more likely to have a relapse. Don't let him sleep with a bottle to help prevent ear infections. Think about his nutrition - is he getting enough vitamins? If he's on solid foods now he may need a supplement. I give my 1-yr-old a dropper full of Poly-vitol (spelling?) - infant vitamin drops made by Enfamil that you can get at Wal-Mart. He still takes formula (similac go and grow) but eats solids more and more now. Next, think about where he's getting the viruses - nursery, daycare, your other kids? Lysol everything, change sheets alot, wash and sanitize hands and bottles.... avoid nursery or daycare if possible, or ask the workers to take special care not to contaminate him. For any diaper-related rashes, I like A & D ointment.

Hun my grandson Trace is 2 an he has been sick from the day he was born an when he was 7 mo old i ask girl to get the dr to send him to St judes for more test an they finely did an after many test on him an Cindy an me they found out he has XLR I can send you a link so you can read more about it just keep telling the dr to do more test an dont take no for the answer, will keep you an son in my prayers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-linked_agammaglobulinemia

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/x/x_linked_agammaglobulinem...
Hun i hope these links will help you
hugs S.

1 / 3