High Chair - Seattle,WA

I'm a first-time Mom looking to buy a high chair. I'm interesting in hearing recommendations of high chairs (good & bad). I'm not interested in the space-saver type because I don't think that my kitchen chairs are safe enough. Thanks for your input!

I hate the big plastic high chairs, so we waited to get one until my daughter could sit up (around 6 mo) and got a Zooper Hook On High Chair. It attached directly to the table, is pretty much fully machine washable and we love it.
I have friends with the stokke tripp trapp and that seems to work out nicely too - but was prohibitively expensive in my eyes.

We had a big high chair with our first, and it depends on how much room you have to store it when it's not in use. We now have the fisher price space saver high chair, which just straps on to one of our regular chairs, has a removable, washable tray, and she sits at the table with us. My friend has the hook on high chair so her son is at the table too with the family. The stokke is a good idea for some, I didn't want t chair that doesn't match our current chairs and table. We got our first daughter's wooden chair at a wood furniture store, very sturdy. Other than that we considered the peg perego prima pappa. Lots of options-good luck!

We have the Graco Contempo and I like it. It was well priced, easy to get the kiddo in and out, nice big tray with a top part that can go in the dishwasher and vinyl seats that wipe clean quickly. Actually the only problem is that if you use the harness buckles that go over the shoulder it's sort of a pain -- so I just use the waist belt. I bought it partially because it folds flat to store in a narrow spot, but I've never bothered to put it away. I also like that the pattern (Kasbah) is neutral and goes with our decor vs the ones with animals and bright colors. Happy shopping!

Another thought is that we just used a bumbo chair for the first few weeks of solids and that worked great. It's cheap and you can pick one up at Target while you think about what kind of high chair you want or wait for one to be delivered.

Hello,

I chose the Graco Classic Wood Highchair.
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber...

I have been very pleased with it so far. It was very easy to assemble and feels much more sturdy than most of the plastic and metal tubing models I saw. So far, it has been easy to clean--most food has wiped off of the seat fairly easily without staining, especially when I catch it immediately.

My one complaint with it is one that may affect you since your son is just starting out. The seat back does not recline at all. At 6 mos, my daughter didn't sit up straight enough even with the tray in place for me to reach her mouth with the spoon. Until she was stronger (about 7 1/2 months), I fed her in her infant bouncy seat to help her keep her head up.

The chair will also grow with baby. When the tray is not in place, there is a small "toddler" snack-size tray. The leg divider and toddler tray unscrew (no tools required!) to make the chair a stool for older children who no longer require restraints.

My husband and I can't stand how huge high chairs are these days. They recline and swivel and have three different trays and antibiotic plastic - and on and on!! Yikes - we just want the kid fed without falling to the floor!! So we went on Craigslist and found an old wooden spindle-type high chair. The seller gave it to us for $15, and it's in perfect condition. It's so much better than the plastic Graco we had with our first two. That one got smelly and the plastic seat ripped.

The old wooden style might not be what you're looking for, but just don't get suckered into paying $$$ for something you don't need.

If I were you...I would just keep a few things in mind when selecting the high chair.
1. wipable material on seat.
2. on wheels
3. able to adust the tray with one hand
4. reclinable
I really used my high chair alot when my daughters were still infants. I could recline them back and set them in there while i was cooking. Being on wheels made it nice to move her where ever I wanted with out scrating the floor.
Make sure that the seat cover in NOT fabric. The last thing that you want to be doing is machine washing it daily...during the toddler stage, it can get pretty messy. You would be surprised at the mess that can be made. Hope this helps

I love our peg prego. We tried a few others and even a wood classic one and nothing compared. you can recline the set for age or if the fall asleep`at dinner. it folds up not small but kinda flat. No assembly jut take out of box and start using. It`is easy to clean. just to many great things about it we love.

we have the Stokke Trip Trap and love it. Our daughter sits at the table with us, which she really enjoys. She is never off to the side as she would be in a "normal" high chair.

It's a spendy chair, but can be used beyond baby years and holds a lot of weight -- an adult can use it.

It's also a nice design. It doesn't have the bulky plastic look that I normally associate with baby gear.

If you go this route, I also suggest a kiddopotomus (sp?) placemat for the table. It keeps the table clean. You can also use it in restaurants, which is really nice.

1 / 3