Hep B Vaccine at Birth

Hi there,
I was reading this book from Dr.Oz,You having a baby..It says that they recommend to give the baby the Hep B shot 2 months after baby is born instead of right away,unless one of the parents has Hep B (we don't). I don't know if I should wait or not.I don't think it would be harmfull to wait a few months since there is no reason why a newborn should get a vaccine the minute it's born.Does anyone have a bad experience with this?

As a mother of a child with autism, who could fill a large room with local mothers of kids who regressed into autism after a vaccination, I'd say approach vaccines like you would any other health issue. Read the research, pro and con, and make an informed decision. I don't vaccinate either of my children anymore however it is a very personal, individual decision.

For what it's worth, the large hospital where my daughter was delivered refuses to give the Hep B shot to any infant.
There is absolutely no reason for an infant to be vaccinated against Hep B. since it's only transmitted through sexual contact or intravenous drug use.
I would wait.

As far as vaccines not causing autism, I would trust a room full of moms who have experienced it rather than articles from usa today or washington post.

We waited; no harm. There is NO reason a baby would contract Hep B while in the hospital if both parents are negative.

I do not vaccinate my children at all and think all parents need to make an informed decision about vaccinations. I am glad you are asking questions. Go to Mercola.com there are tons of vaccine information links and studies, etc. Good luck with your decision and I hope you learn the truth about what vaccines are and make an informed choice rather than believing you have to have these shots when recommended or any time as most new parents are led to believe (especailly if you plan to send your kid to public school).
Hope this helps! :)

I would suggest looking at thinktwice.com or childhoodshots.com They have tons of information on all kinds of shots. Maybe you'll decide not to give your baby the shot at all. They don't really need it anyway.

My kids didn't have any vaccines until they were a year old or later. Then it was only one at a time, and spaced a few months apart. No MMR until after age 3, and no chicken pox, no hep A, no flu shots.

If yo uquestion it, don't do it. Wait it out. We did, and I have never for a second regretted our decision to delay vaccinations until our children are older, the blood/brain barrier is closed, and spacing them to avoid a massive 'chemical cocktail' of multiple vaccines at one time in an immature system.

I would wait.

I completely agree with everything Amanda C. said. I didn't research the Heb B vaccine and I wish I would have. I too felt pressured by the hospital to get it so we did. I got the Dr. Sears vaccine book later on and wish I would have had it sooner. I now follow his schedule for my 2 1/2 year old. Nothing happened with the shot (that we know if I guess), but I just wish I would have researched before the pressure of the hospital to get it.

We vaccinated my son at birth, and I really wish we had waited. He had no bad reaction, and was wonderful and healthy and had no issues at all, but I felt pressured into it by the hospital, and after doing the research, I was really quite angry. It was an unnecessary thing to do at that age, and in fact, the amount of aluminum in the vaccine is higher than is recommended even for older children. Most children can process the aluminum and flush it out of their systems, but I still think the baby's very first birthday is a scary time to try to find out. With my second child, we will wait a while to give this vaccine. I recommend you read Dr. Sears' "The Vaccine Book," which goes into detail about the ingredients in this particular vaccine and the risks for and against it.

Just as a side note, not everyone who is concerned about vaccines thinks they cause autism. Many of us are more concerned about the other ingredients in the shots, as well as the shocking LACK of safety studies done on vaccines. No matter what you choose, there may be risks involved, but do your research and then stick to your guns. Good luck!

None of my three sons have received Hep B at birth, although my first, who was the only one to be born at a hospital, got it shortly after. The middle boy got it when he was 3, and my toddler still has not received it.
This is a vaccine I do not feel reckless about delaying, as my husband and myself are Hep B-negative. The risk factors for Hep B are the same as for HIV, and while most Hep B vaccine proponants would have all children vaccinated long before they reach middle school, I feel fairly certain I can control the sexual and illegal drug and self-tattooing activity of my preschoolers long enough to minimize the risks. ;)
That said, accidental needle sticks are a possibility even outside the world of illegal, recreational drug use, or sloppy tattoos and the Hep B vaccine is considered by many to be one of the first "anti-cancer" vaccines since it can prevent the lliver damage that precedes liver cancer. There have also been a couple of cases reported in recent years that cannot be traced to a particular, typical risk factor, and this has made more people feel more urgent about vaccinating against Hep B earlier.
It's a worthwhile vaccine, but you're not the only one thinking it's OK to wait on this one. This risk factors for a newborn are just not there yet, if Mom is Hep B-negative.
You might like "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Bob Sears if you'd like to learn more about vaccines. I appreciate its non-hysterical tone and regular updates via his Web site. It doesn't tell you what to do, it just gives you all the facts so you can decide what is best for your family.
Congrats on being a proactive mom! Best wishes!

1 / 3