Helping a Family with a Sick Child

Some friends of ours just learned that their almost three year old has cancer. He just went through one major surgery, will soon have another, and then will undergo chemo. We have socialized with this family a handful of times, but they live a good drive away from us, so we haven't seen each other very often. I have two children of my own (2.5 and 4 months) and cannot imagine what they must be going through. I want to do something for them to help and show support for them, but I don't know what is most useful. I know that many people from our religious community are lending a hand. I've signed up to bring them a couple of meals. I want to do something more, but they aren't interested in having visitors and I'm limited in what I can do because of the long drive to their place and juggling my two kids. Does anyone have suggestions for what I might do to lend a hand? Can you think of useful items to put in a care package? Any other ideas?

My BIL has a friend who's son also suffered from cancer. When they were spending a lot of time in the hospital, someone put together a back pack for her. Things to keep her busy...snacks, refillable water bottle, word searches, a small notebook, to record info from the doctors. There were some other puzzle books, magazines, change for the vending machine. A small overnight kit with toothbrush, razor etc. There were some small gift cards for subway, since there was a store right around the corner from the hospital. She told my BIL that is was really nice to have those small distractions when she needed it. He worked with her at the time, and the place of business did a collection for yard service for a few months to help out.

Hey,
My dad suffered with cancer for a few years before he past.
An one thing that helped us out the most was those pre paid Visa cards that friends gave us. We used them to help get back and forth from hospital visits. and we used them for food. sence we was always on the go, and some got used to help pay the medical bills.

You might once a month send a "thinking of you" card with a gift card enclosed. Gift cards can very from restaurants to bookstores, whatever you send I'm sure they will use it. They will look forward to their mail at least once a month if it becomes routine.

I'm sure they will be super busy and spending most of their time and attention on their little boy.
I'm thinking about the mundane, day-to-day things that will need to be done when they really want to focus on their child. Grocery shopping and meal prep are big ones (you could include grocery store gift cards and gift cards for places to pick up takeout), laundry (you could offer to come and pick up, do, fold and return it) in a timely manner, yard care (do it yourselves of get a service to do a fall yard clean up for them) Is the 3 yo an only child? If not, maybe you can pick up the sibling(s) one day and keep them til evening to give them a little relief. And money for parking for tolls, parking garages at the hospitals, etc is always welcomed.
Drop them a card every week or so, so they know you are praying for them and keeping them close at heart. Hope this helps.

Between my daughter's heart surgeries & my son's 4 hip surgeries....been there, done that. It's not fun. You're torn between wanting company & support.....& wanting everybody to leave you alone. You want solitude & yet that silence is deafening. It is such a time of torn & spent emotions.

With my son's last surgery (just 3 weeks ago), what we found helpful was a prepaid hospital parking card & lots of ready cash for the cafeteria/snacks. It is amazing how draining this is on the financial front....& when combined with the emotions involved......whew!

The backpack idea is excellent....BUT, I have always packed my own bag. This last time around, we hauled two bags. One with food snacks, both junk & healthy. The other bag contained reading materials, cards, notebook & pens, address book, medical files & info from the dr, hankies (because I knew I was going to cry), puzzle books, etc. **In reality, though, you are so distracted.....that concentrating is beyond your abilities when waiting for your child's update. ** Oh, & one other thing in my bag: a neck support pillow for napping & a small blanket.

A "Thinking of You" card is always welcome. One of the hardest things for me to deal with....is avoidance, discomfort, & .....in the case of my in-laws: a complete non-involvement. Seriously, in the 3 weeks since my son's surgery, we have had zero contact from my husband's family.......they're "all busy" with their lives! !! I'm just glad that I have my family & our friends!

Ooooops, one more important thing: I post updates on CaringBridge.org for our family & friends. It's free, it's easy to use....& I've had excellent responses to using this format! & most importantly for me....I can make journal entries for all to read....without having to repeat the same story again & again (with phone calls). Maybe this would be something to pass on to your friends!

You've got a lot of great suggestions. When my son was diagnosed with leukemia - he was 2 1/2 - some things I found helpful were:

- my SIL and mother offered to do my laundry. I wasn't home much when he had hospital stays so it piled up and I had a hard time getting it done

- help with shopping. Again, I didn't have much time to do this if he was not doing well. My parents would do my shopping for me

- a phone call to talk about everything else. Sometimes I needed a break from talking about cancer. I was happy to hear about my SIL's prgnancy or about how my niece did at her dance recital, etc.

- the backpack is a great idea. We received little packs of snacks from friends. They also bought my son toys to keep him busy in the hospital. It really lifted his spirts and kept him entertained which in turn lifted my spirits.

- offers to cut grass, rake leaves, etc. These are things we didn't have much time or energy for. They were put on the back burner, yet always on our minds. It was nice to have them done.

- meals were very much appreciated. We didn't get gift cards for take out places but that is a great idea.

- offers to take care of my daughter. Sometimes I had to be home with my son when his immunity was low. If friends or family members were healthy, my duaghter enjoyed playdates and outtings with them. It was a good release for her and allowed me to concentrate on my son without feeling like I was leaving her out.

- offers to watch my kids for an hour or two so I could get our of the house. I usually spent the time shopping or running errands, but made sure to grab a treat for myself. DQ was very good for me. ;)

I'll keep your friends and their son in my prayers.

Hey,

You might want to check which hospital he is being treated at. If you contact the hospital directly they may have suggestions. I know at Children's Hospital in Oakland they have a playroom for sick children. They are always in need of supplies, toys ect... It might be nice to give a new toy or two that you know he might be playing with in the next few weeks.

It is wonderful that you are reaching out to help another family they will appreciate it more than you will ever know.

N.

Hi - I am proud that you are thinking of ways to take care of this family that is going through so much. How about researching house cleaners in the familiy's area and paying for their house to be cleaned? Or, how about calling on an afternoon you know they are home and letting them know that you are having dinner delivered (pizza or chinese are the norm but a lot of restaurants will deliver these days). I have a girlfriend whose child was very ill when she was born and she recvd the gift of housecleaning and absolutely loved it - it took the worries of how were those chores going to get done away and that really did comfort her.
Sincerely,
N.

1 / 3