help..I Hate My Granite Countertops!

The house I'm renting has brand new black granite countertops. Help, I hate them! I can't use normal kitchen cleaners on them like my clorox wipes b/c they can bleach them out over time, water alone leaves water spots and doesn't clean up well enough, and the expensive granite countertop wipes I got from Home Depot just smudge all the grunge all over and never get them clean and nice looking. I work long hours and don't have time for high maintenance stuff. I need an easy, fast convenient way to get these suckers clean without ruining them over time. Help! And why is this stuff so popular? It may look pretty initially, but if you can't keep it clean, what's the sense? Even when I cleaned them up for Thanksgiving the best I could, they still looked smeared.

I have granite counter tops and use the Clorox wipes on them all the time. I can't see how it would bleach them out if you are regularly sealing them like you should. Granite is a stone and therefore porous. Clorox also has a new product called Green that I love and works great.

I use Fabuloso (I think that's how it's spelled). I love the purple one. It smells wonderful. I just spray it on and wipe with a dry cloth. The granite looks fantastic.

Target's brand "Method" has a granite spray. It works well and smells nice. I spray with a good layer, wipe of dirt and grime with paper towel. Works nicely and it's not too expensive.

When we got our granite, they told us to use equal parts white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water and keep it in a spray bottle. It cleans them. The odor is very faint and the alcohol makes them shine. If it is dark granite it will show more finger prints, etc.

I disinfect with Fantastik and then use Sprayway Glass Cleaner for a streak-free shine.

I am guessing that you have a solid color black granite countertop, right? That is the only color I have heard people complain about because it show fingerprints, etc. The house I moved into about a year ago has granite countertops and I love them. I just wipe them with a wet cloth and spray occasionally with antibacterial 409. My counters have a pattern in them and I can't even find the twist tie from the bread sometimes. Don't let your countertops scare you off from getting granite in the future. Your landlord should have picked a black with some sort of pattern or flecks in it.

Meluclua has a product called Tough and Tender, its cut through grease and is all natural so it wont hurt or bleach out the counter tops. If the job needs a little more, you can use there product Mela Majic.

Good Luck, I dont have them, but i hate them too!

Hi M.. We just got granite countertops installed last week and i cant believe you dont like them!! Mine isnt a single color though so it hides things real well (too well). Honestly, I would talk to your landlord and do exactly what he recommends cause in the end, you will be held responsible if there is any damage to the granite. And take it from me, its sooo expensive to fix.

1 / 3