Help with Stinky Tupperware

I got some Tupperware that had never been used, but had sat in a old, musty-smelling basement for a few years. I have tried washing it in hot, soapy water and then setting it outside to dry for an afternoon, but it still smells. Are there any safe methods to get the musty-smell gone? Thank you!

H.,
Have you tried soaking it with diluted vinegar or lemon juice? I would give that a try. If that doesn't work you could consider using some Young Living Essential Oils. they seem to work real well at getting rid of musty smells, especicially a product called Theives Cleaner, which is completely safe.

wash it with baking soda or vinegar and warm water or better yet set it out in the sun with baking soda and water in it. Should take out the smell. My mother also said often time salt water will do the trick (soaking in).

I bought a new Tupperware pitcher from a garage sale. Got it home, took the lid off, and it smelled like smoke. I decided to give it a shot before I threw it out. I hand washed it in hot soapy water, ran it through the dishwasher, THEN made a paste out of baking soda and water, covered the entire pitcher, let it sit then repeated. It worked!

As a former Tupperware manager (whose mom had a whole room full of unused Tupperware when she moved to assisted living), my suggestions are simple.

The baking soda is one of the best ways to rid the Tupperware of the smell.

The other method is to soak newspapers in water. Wring them until damp dry. Put them in the Tupperware and seal it up. After 24 hours, it should be good to go.

Tomato juice also absorbs the smells, but then, don't forget to wash it right away with COLD water.

Contacting Tupperware is great too. They will contact you back. And just for all of you - Tupperware is not made from any toxic products. Even the microwave pieces were not put on the market until they could find a solution to making the product safe for foods at all temperatures. But - Freezer pieces are not made for the microwave. And older (20+ years) are not even made for the dishwasher. They make a very good product and stand behind it 100%.

Good Luck.

Fill the containers with crumpled newspaper, cover it with the lid and let it sit a few days.

go to the tupperware website and see if you can contact someone who works there...i am sure they will have some good suggestions for you or maybe even replace if still new.

This is a little off topic, but with all the worry about plastics, BPA, and other nasty stuff, is Tupperware safe? Since there are Tupperware reps on here, I'd love to finally know what type of plastic Tupperware is! I too have a lot of old and new stuff, but have been debating making the switch to all glass and stainless steal containers!
Thanks!!

Soak in white vinegar and water overnight. Should take care of the problem!

The vinegar suggestion is good and usually works. I have also used diluted bleach to get stains out of sippy cups and then soaked them in hot water to get the bleach out of the plastic. We did that at a day care I worked at.

A vinegar rinse or soak could work, or make a baking soda and water mixture and set outside for a few hours in the sun.
Either should take the smell out.

1 / 3