Help with Onion Smell

Hi Moms,

Ok, so here's the deal. I've recently started really cooking nightly after about 15 years of my husband taking care of it. I had never learned as a kid, and now I've found that I really enjoy it thanks to joining e-mealz.com. I love all the new recipies that are loaded for me each week. So, here's my dilema. When it comes to slicing up onions. Well, when I do, my hands wind up smelling like them for quite a while afterward. I wash and wash with soap and warm/hot water, and still the odor remains. Anyway, if any of you know something that will get it to go away, I'd grealy appreciate it. Thanks so much moms.

Hi Moms,

I greatly appreciate all the great advice/feedback I received from y'all. I'm going to the store today and will p/u some of the products suggested and start trying them as I have 4 meals this week that call for onions.

Again, Thank you. I knew I could count on y'all for the answer.

great question! I never thought that much about the smell on the hands. It's the crying that always got me. And bad. But I put on a pair of swim goggles before chopping onions and NO MORE TEARS!

Stainless steel. I have a soap shaped bar of stainless steel that sits in its own 'soap' dish behind my kitchen sink. I cant remember where I got it, but it wasnt real expensive and it works like a charm. I just wet my hands, grab the 'bar' and rub on my hands like soap. Works for other nasty smells too, like garlic!

Fresh lemon juice will eliminate the smell of both onions & garlic. It will also take care of that "sticky fingers" feel that you have after messing with fresh garlic.
Also, if you peel and slice the onion under cold running water, you won't have so much of a problem with the smell and it will make the onion sweeter.

Rubbing your hands on a stainless steel spoon underwater will take the smell away.

slice a lemon and aqueeze the juice on your hands. You might also aprinkle baking soda and rinse. Vinegar is also good, if you can stand the vinegar smell. I personally prefer the lemon.

Hey C... plain ole salt works. you can rub the salt on your damp hands and viola the smell is gone. Also if your cooking with onions and want the faint taste but not one that over powers.. cut the onions and take the salt and scrunch then together. Rinse them well and you keep some of the taste but not have it over power everything. Works great for onions in a salad too..

Rub your hands with a fresh lemon-just a slice...or there is this little metal thing you can get at kitchen gaget stores that you rub your hands on-it takes the smell away.

Wanna come cook dinner for us? heeeheee

Have fun...

Silver -silverware works. Wash your hands with soap while rubbing your hands on like a silver spoon works.

I know it sounds crazy but I do recall my grandmother and godmother telling me that to take the onion or garlic smell away rub your hands on stainless steel. So if you have a kitchen sink that is stainless steel rub your hands on it or there is also a thing I believe they have it at bed bath and beyond and is a stainless steel bar about the size of a soap bar that you rub your hands on. Good luck!

Hello C.!

This is my first response on this site. I can tell you a 100% tip for onion smells on your hands. If you have a stainless steel sink, rub your wet hands on it. If you don't have a stainless steel sink, you can rub them carefully on a kitchen tool made of it...be sure your hands are wet. Works every time and it is a tip I have passed on to many people. It never fails!

A.
Texas

1 / 3