Help with Cats in Heat

Does anyone know of a natural helped for cats in heat? I plan to have them spayed when I can afford it (My local Humane Society states they no longer help with the cost) However for now they are driving me nuts, and I hate to see them in discomfort.

To be honest this is kind of funny. They are not in pain or discomfort. They are just horny. I guess if you want to relieve that then you could run their back near their tails or make a male cat available. Pimping out the neighbors male cat may help in a pinch. Lol. As long as no money is exchanged it is completely legal. Lol.

Hi E., I have lost 4 cats in the past. If you live in Columbus, Ohio there is a place called Cat Welfare###-###-#### and Pet Concern ###-###-####. They are real cheap if they are still in buisness, hope this helps....Get them spayed ASAP.

you can contact FACE they are in the phone book and this is on a sliding scale for the cost. They also do this free depending on were you live.

I am in Summit County and we have a vet's office/shelter that is non profit and does everything for cost . I believe the name is PetGuards shelter . Might be something to look into near you, as this place is in Cuyahoga Falls .

http://www.indiana-paw.com/resources-public.htm#spayneuter

try this link, it has low-cost solutions for spaying... hope it helps hun.

I'm not sure how far from Toledo you are, or how much of an inconvenience it would be to travel here - but there is something called Humane Ohio www.humaneohio.org
that does low-cost spay/neuter.
Also, Planned Pethood www.plannedpethood.org
has options for low cost spay/neuter.

The female goes out of heat after being stimulated by the male. The only so called "home remedy" for this while waiting to spay her sounds truly gross on the human end but it does work. If you GENTLY take a pencil with a soft eraser and rub the outer vulva area it may trick her body into thinking mating has occured and thus take her out of the cycle (for now). Cats are not like dogs with their regular heat cycles about 6 months apart. They can continue to go back into another heat every few weeks. Spaying is the only permanent cure for this. I hope I didn't make anyone sick by sharing this info but I have worked for a Vet office for the better part of 15 yrs and this came straight from the Dr.'s mouth.
P.S. What the other person was referring to when a cat or dog isn't spayed is called pyometria. It occurs in unspayed females and it is an infection in the uterus causing it to fill with pus. They only remedy at that point is an emergency spay or the uterus will rupture hence leaking the toxic infection into the body and causing death. Just another reason to spay/ neuter our beloved pets! Good luck!

You might call Cat Welfare
They are in The Clintonville area in Columbus they use to help with spaying and Nuturing

If memory serves, cats can make themselves go into heat anytime they want to. So... she can do it weekly if she chooses until you are able to get her fixed.

Also, the more heat cycles that a cat goes through, the more chances she has of having some sort of health issues later on. I can't recall now what it is, but I think it's similar to uterine cancer or some such.

I'm gald someone else brought it up first. I've heard the same thing about the pencil. Only I've been told it should be a q-tip. It really does sound like the grossest thing. I've been told that cats are induced ovulators. If I'm not mistaken, that means that just by mating, they can ovulate & get pregnant. The q-tip, does just what she says, makes them think that they've mated. I also think that Cat Welfare is still in business & does help with low cost surgeries. Also, the only discomfort is ours :) in listening to them. They are in no pain or discomfort.

I do know that you can take the cat to the spay and nueter clinic i belivie that it is located on the east side of columbus and they will do it for less than $40.00 they are all about helping people out who cant afford it. so you should look them up in the phone book and check that out.

Here is the website of the lowcost ($20) clinic I used for our cats. They should be able to direct you to other nonprofit lowcost clinics in your area. There is even a mobile neutering service here in Indiana. None of these are run by the government, but from private donations. Hang in there!

E.,
As the mommy of 6 girl kittys, there is nothing you can do to help them through their heat cycle. Most areas have Spay and Neuter clinics, ours only charge $65 for regular stiches, or $70 for the disolvable ones. I wish that there were more we could do for them, I know how hard it is to watch them and hear them. But the only way to stop it is to get them fixed. Check on line for a spay and neuter clinic. We have one here in Ft Wayne Indiana.
I hope you can find help soon for her.

They are not in any discomfort, at least mine never were. They act funny to us because that is how they let males know that they are "primed and ready." Give it about two weeks and it will pass. Whatever you do, make sure they do not get even near the door, let alone outside. Even for a minute. I had a female cat who was in heat for the first time last spring and she liked to lay by the back door. Before I knew it, I had every male stray in the neighborhood spraying at my back door. Once she got wind of the smell, she ran outside quicker than we could even pull the door shut. Fast forward about 5 months and I had an 8 month old mother with 5 kittens!!

There is a place called Face
http://www.facespayneuter.org/
i took my cat there if i remember correctly it was FREE or no more than 20 bucks but i think it was Free.

otherwise getting pregnant will help and i will take atleast 2 of the kittens if you aren't too far from Carmel!!!! i'd Love it- you wouldn't need to get them shots or anything- we've got a vet. Let me know!!! :)
-D.

p.s. that pencil trick is Just Wrong! :)

Have you tried calling Valley Save-a-Pet in Bedford? They're a volunteer organization that hooks people up with local vets who are willing to do low-cost spay/neuter if you qualify. Try calling them on Mondays 10:-1:00 or Wed. 10:-4:00 at The Purrfect Place in Bedford - ###-###-####. OR, call directly to the Spay/Neuter Clinic located on Fulton Road, where Valley Save-a-Pet sent me, ###-###-####. I paid $45. for female cat and $26. for male cat about 2 1/2 years ago. Way cheaper than vets will quote!!!!!

Go see Dr. Parr in Galion she is really reasonable with prices her number is ###-###-#### and you can also try STOP in lexington they are really cheap i think 30.00 but that was the price a long time ago and don't shave them cause their coat keeps them cool try a ice cold water bottle and fans that usually helps mine.

There are places you can go that will spay them for free. Check it out in your area.

Have you talked to your vet? You can give a mare hormones and she won't ovalulate so there should be something you can give a cat.

what city and state do you live in, i am new to this site myself so i don't know if this is a local site or a nationwide site.