Help with Birth Control

hello i just need a little help with something,i just had a beautiful,handsome little boy a week ago.i am blessed,but my quetions is i will see my doctor next week to check me and i want to start on birth control but i dont know which one i am breast feeding and dont want to stop so i need a mild one but one that will still protect me from getting prego ,i do have a three year old but forgot what the pill was called the one i took after her,so anyway if anyone knows of a good birth control pill that they took and it didnt affect your milk flow please let me know thanks

My doctor told me that he could give me a "mini pill" that was progesterone only that would be safe while I was breast feeding. He also said that it wasn't as effective as "traditional" pills. Us, we opted for the old cover-up method. Working for us so far...waiting to wean so we can get back on the real deal!

Don't take any kind of medication until you talk to your doctor. Most doctors tell you not to have intercourse for 6 weeks as your body needs time to heal.
M

I have a friend who says she would do a "mini pill" - a lower dose of hormones while she was breast feeding - and she and hubby would use a condom as well. Then, after the baby weaned, they would continue using condoms while the "full pill" took effect, generally about a month. I used the patch myself before my first baby, but couldn't do that while nursing. We ended up not using b.c. because the IUD caused lots of bleeding and migraines, and I'm not consistent enough to make the pill worth the expense. Now we have TWO kids - but I wouldn't trade our second for anything. :)

If you are breastfeeding on demand, and your baby gets no other food (no expressed milk, formula, cereal, etc), and your period hasn't come back, then you don't need to worry about birth control until 6 months postpartum. This is call the lactational amenorrhea method (LAM) and is as effective as the pill (98-99.5%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactational_amenorrhea_method

your doctor will know different brand names, but it is called a "mini-pill" which means it has progestin only...I took it until I stopped breastfeeding when my son was 10 months and then I switched back to my regular birth control that has progestin and estrogen.

I am also breastfeeding and I am on Micronoir (not sure how to spell it). It is a progestrone only pill. My dd is 18 months and I've been on it since she was born.

ask your doctor about a something like the mereina there is one that has no hormones on it and the mereina only has a little.

My doctor prescribed Camila for me, which is a Progesterone only Pill, or the 'mini-pill'. It is safe to take while breastfeeding.

E.,
I know when I had my youngest, my obgyn tried like hell to get me started on the depro shot, and I was still trying to nurse at the time. I'm pretty sure that one's okay, but I don't know about pills sorry. You might ask about that one. S.

when i went in for my 6 weeks check up they asked me if i was breastfeeding and i said yes.
i think there is only one kind of birth control you can use and its the pill. just tell them your breastfeeding and what are you options of birth control.

Maybe talk to your doctor about an iud(intrauterine device). They have one with a hormone and one without. The one without the hormone might be better for you if you are breastfeeding. The bad thing is they are like $500. Not sure how much you would have to pay out of pocket with your insurance. The good thing is they insert it and it lasts for 5 years. You never have to worry about taking a pill everyday. It can also be removed at any time during those five years if you would decide to have another baby. Just a suggestion other than the pill.

Just tell your doctor that you're breastfeeding and he will put you on a progesterone-only birth control pill. I took it and it didn't effect my milk supply. (I can't remember the name of it either, but your doctor will know!) Hope this helps.

Camila/Micronor/Nor-QD all are the same type of pill, the progestin-only pill. I used it while breast-feeding all of my girls. It works great and doesn't interfere with you milk supply. Ask your doctor for the POP/progestin-only pill.

The only one available for nursing moms is Ortho-Miconor (generic available under various names- Nora-BE, Errin, Camila, Jolivette, Nor-QD). It is a progestin-only pill so there is no estrogen in them. You can ask about the Depo-provera shot & the Mirena IUD. Both of those are progestin-only.