Help with a Gassy Baby

I have a 5 week old son who seems to have colic and bad gas. I think he is drinking too fast and gulping air but the Dr. Brown's bottles are not much of a help. The poor kid gets more Mylicon than anything sometimes! I do breast and bottle feed, can anyone help?

Oh the memories of watching my little girl cry out in pain from a gassy stomach. Mylicon, gripe water and massages did nothing for my child. The only formula that worked was Nutramigen Lipil by Enfamil (very expensive but worth it) and the Playtex Bottles with Drop Ins. They were live savers. My daughter is now 2 and can eat anything and is the happiest little girl! It does get better and you will get through the colic!

Try a couple of drops of peppermint oil in warm water, old remedy but worked on all 5 of mine including the breast fed baby. Good luck

Have you tried rice water? When my oldest was gassy a Thai lady gave her rice water? Also what kinds of cravings did you have when you were pregnant? I was all watermellon. So when my daughter was first home from the hospital, I gave her a sip of watermelon and she quit crying. But all this is back in the stone ages. (1978)
Have you tried the bottles that are airless? My daughter (middle) says they work good for no air in them.
I am just thinking so I dont know is this is good advice or not. Thanks for reading this. L. N

how ironic! I was just writing to the request right before yours and told her when she gets to colic to write me! and here you are in need of that very advice! I have the absolute cure for colic! it worked on my son the very first time, and he had it bad for a while before my grandmother gave me the secret. you will be sleeping by tonight i promise! here it is... go to the store and buy some fennel seeds (in the spice isle) they are natural and licorice flavored and safe for your baby. put 1 teaspoon into a little water and boil on stove making a tea from the seeds. let cool. strain the seeds. pour the tea into a baby bottle with just a bit of sugar to sweeten so the baby will drink it up (about 4 ounces). no gas just sleep! AHHH! now wasn't that easy! the very first bottle was the very first night that anyone got any sleep in my house! sweet dreams!

What formula are you using? With my first, we breast and bottle fed and had no problems. With my second (now 4 1/2 mo old) we had horrible gas problems. No matter what I ate, he had gas and was really fussy. My doctor suggested we change formulas. We changed to Nestle Good Start with Natural Cultures (no I don't work for them). They have the 'comfort protiens' which make it easier to digest and this one has the 'Natural Cultres' or probiotics. The 'good bacteria' that helps the tummy and it is similar to what you pass on in your breast milk.

It took a few days, but now, with the new formula we are having NO problems.

We used the Air Vente series of bottles with our little girl. Also, we had to burp her alot more than usual. The Air Vente Flow bottle let all the gas out. you can shake the milk to smitherine's and still all the bubbles will evaporate. Give 'em a try!

I just went through the very same thing with my baby. She is now 2 1/2 months and has finally outgrown it. She is still pretty gassy but isn't crying all of the time. I maybe give her mylicon once a day if that now. so, here is what I did. I burped her evey 1/2 oz to 1 oz. I also went to Cost plus nutrition and bought Kid-e-col, Dr. Christopher's brand. They had to order it for me but they got it in whith in 3 days. It was $14 or $15 dollars I think but it was worth every penny. I noticed a difference with in 2 days. It is a liquid form of catnip and fennel. My husbands grandmother swore by it and so did my sis-n-law. So, I tried it and it seems to have worked. That and I think she has outgrown it some too. I read in a book "Healthy Sleep habits, Happy child" that fussiness in babies tends to peak at around 6 weeks of age (from the babies due date) and begins to taper off after that until the baby is 12 weeks. That was deffinately true for my kids. Just hang in there it will get easier. I've been through this 4 times now and it does get better.

Your baby sounds identical to mine. I suggest going to see a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. It may be reflux. My son used to have a lot of Mylicon as well. He had burning in his osophagus and wanted to drink constantly to ease the burining. He had to go on ranitidine but really needed an antacid as well. My poor baby really suffered. Also I suggest trying hte Playtex Ventair. They are great and so much easier to clean as well.
Does he also arch his back? If so that is a dead giveaway that he has pain.
I also recommend the Nutramagen. It needs warm water to mix it up and then shake a lot. Let it sit for a while so that the bubbles go out of the mix as that really adds to gas.
Best of luck.

W.

daughter had the same problem, lasted for along time ended up giving her different formula's and went from there to soy bean milk. At last relief for both of us when she was a little older made to switch back to watered down formula. Please check with your Dr. he may have some help for you yet.

I haven't had a chance to read all your responses, so IDK if this has been suggested. I have 3 boys, & this worked well w/all of them. Karo syrup!!! Put a teaspoon in the bottle & it helps w/gas AND constipation. Also, lay the baby on its back, slowly lift both legs up towards nose of baby. If the baby has gas, you will instantly hear the gas being released. If he's anything like my boys, he'll think it's hilarious & you will be sooo releaved. Hope it works for you.......worked wonders for my boys!!!

1 / 3