HELP With 8YO Daughter's Birthday .... Need Ideas!!

My daughter will be 8YO on April 20, and I have absolutely NO ideas for a party. We were leaning toward inviting her 2nd grade class (only 11 kids) to the movie theater on April 11 to see the new Hannah Montana movie. However, that is Easter weekend and I'm wondering if there would be a good turn-out -- will families be too busy or traveling out of town?? Other than the movie idea, I have no ideas!! I'm not good with keeping kids busy with games or activities, so I'm reluctant to have a gathering at a park or at our house, which really isn't set up for having many people over. We did McDonald's last year and it was so nice. We showed up, the kids were thoroughly entertained, no worry with weather outside, wasn't awfully crowded, then we went home, and it wasn't too expensive(!!). Thanks MOMs for your ideas, I look forward to it.

Go with the movie idea! Even if only 4 kids show up (because it's easter weekend) then you'll have more money for popcorn. They'll all have a great time anyway, and that's the main point, right? If they are into dressing up and being really crazy bring a bag of feather boas and party tiaras or hats and scarves for the girls to wear to the movie.
(I only have boys so if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about...you're right!)
have fun!

My daughter's birthday is the same day! It is always so nice out in April, we plan parties in the park. Kids love it, it is easy and not expensive.

I have 4 grand-children and they love, love, love the moonwalk.. it keeps them entertained for hours. They go and out at their own pace. It's a great buy and the company I used will bring it out, set it up and pick it up when you're finished. It's under $100. This company set up one also at our annual picnic in our subdivision and is reliable. If you call;let him know M. sent you from Eden Subdivision so that you can ask about the free over-night party too.
David Arocha with Knockout Bouncer @ ###-###-####. We also play treasure hunt with various hints inside and outside the house with cut out pictures of the next hiding place if you are having any younger siblings participating. Good Luck! Have fun!

I think the movie idea is great though you'd probably have a better turn out the following weekend, plus it would be closer to your daughter's birthday. What kind of activities does your daughter like to do? There's skating parties, bowling parties, etc. We had a party for my daughter's birthday last month and she invited a few kids from her class. We had pizza for lunch @ Peter Piper's Pizza and the kids had a blast! They have games they can play so they were kept entertained, then we took them bowling afterwards. Everyone raved how much fun they had!

Happy Birthday to your daughter and have fun!

what about a bowling party or an arts and crafts type of party. Michaels does parties now. We haven't been to any of the parties, but we have been to their Saturday kids' crafts wkshop--which my daughter loves! As far as I can tell-they do everything for u! A bowling party is lots of fun too. We have been to several over the years and the kids have a blast--the parents can even bowl too. My son had a bowling party several years ago and we just reserved the lanes, ordered pizza and cake, and the kids had a good time.

http://www.4myhappyhealthyfamily.com

You sound an awful like me....

Our daughter's bday is April 16, so we too have battled the Easter weekend parties. This year we were up against the MS150 ride that her Dad is riding in so we've bumped her party to the 25th. I think at this age they don't really care - they get the attention at home ON their bday and then get to celebrate again with friends on another day.

My aunt gave me some sage advice several years ago and it was only invite the number of kids that your child is turning. We are turning 9 - we're inviting 9 girls to a dress up tea party. Sort of in keeping with the Fancy Nancy theme.

Aliens vs Monsters is out and it is playing in 3D - that's another option if you are inviting the entire class (I'm not sure if the boys would care about Hannah Montana). You can have a bowling party - that's always fun at any age. A skating party is not real expensive either - Bear Creek takes care of everything and you can continue to skate even after your party ends.

You can always opt out for a girls sleep over - rent a few movies of the bday girls choice. Cook up some hot dogs or hamburgers, popcorn later. At that age they are usually asleep by 12.

Good luck and have fun!

have fun!

I think there may be alot of parents out there who would be very grateful not to have their children underfoot on the Sat. before Easter so they could get some things done. I love the movie idea-but also check out if there are any sponsored activities at a local art center- we had a b-day party at the local art center and the kids were entertained by making " easter bonnets" by the staff and then they " paraded" them out thru the cake, etc. In addition, gymanstic centers are always fun- the kids will get to bounce all over the place, have instruction in things and they too will take care of the activities. Good luck!! M.

Great party ideas so far!!! My daughter's bday is during a major holiday as well so I feel your concern. It was difficult having to explain to my young child about the low turnout. I have to admit, I always had poor turn out when my parties were too close to the holiday. In me having learned from my previous experience, I now make notes in my calendar in advance to plan for her parties early and avoid the holiday for a better turnout. Much better parties since then!!!! It is soooo worth the extra effort to plan in advance either the w/e b4 or after the holiday w/e.

1 / 3