Help with 2 Year Old Boy Putting Hand down Front of Pants Constantly

My two year old likes to put his hand down his pants whenever he can. At night it gets really bad because he ends up peeing out of his diaper EVERY night. He does it during the day too and will stop when we ask him too, but he goes right back to it a few minutes later... Anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Should I buy onesies for a two year old?? Is this something to be worried about??

Can you find some button up shorts or pants to put on over the diaper that are hard to reach inside of? My son was older, so maybe it won't work for a 2 year old. But he started doing this in daycare and I put some pants on him that button up and are hard to reach inside of and it broke him of the habit. Took about a week.

My other thought is on boards I have seen some moms say this is due to parasites or yeast and they have recommended supplements for it.

This can be a difficult issue. He's just found some fun toys, that don't get lost, feel good, and go everywhere with him.
Besides Onesies and overalls, try:
1) Putting his diaper on backward.
2) Keeping his hands occupied, for instance, ask him to help you carry things from room to room all day.
3) Don't reprimand him for putting his hands in his diaper, but praise him when he doesn't. "You haven't put your hands in your diaper all morning long. I am SO proud of you!"

I would recommend dressing him differently until you start potty training him. Also, these types of socially unacceptable behaviors tend to go away once they start preschool. They have peer pressure even at that young age. School also helps potty training.

Mine is doing this too, it drives me crazy! The worst for me is while he is eating (or avoiding eating, I should say.) It's just nasty. :)

I would definitely put onesies on him, at least at night. That will take care of that part of it, but otherwise, I think we just have to wait it out...

I agree with the comments about putting him in one-piece pjs until he stops. During the day, I would tell him to stop as you are doing. If he keeps it up, remove him to his room every time, don't put him in time out. Time out is punishment. Tell him he can do this but only in the privacy of his room, not in public. You don't want to equate this very natural behavior with punishment. You do want to teach him what is socially acceptable. He will want to be with you more than he wants to do this behavior. Good luck.

Hi H.,

This is normal! He does it because it feels good. He's only 2 and isn't old enough to understand acceptable social behavior. That being said, the peeing accidents would drive me nuts! At night he may be doing this in his sleep. I would definitely try onesie pajamas. He does stop when you ask, so he's starting to understand that he can't do this all the time, but if he's asleep..... My only other suggestion is that he could have jock itch. He's small enough that you can check for it. Otherwise, I think you just have to wait it out. We've all seen grown men do this, so good luck with the social skills! Have a great day! L.

Curiosity is good and healthy, but I know can be embarassing. If he stops when you tell him, just explain to him that this is something that is private, and should not be done in public or with other people around. Not doing it so often, may help it to fade. I feel your frustration..LOL. Good luck and God Bless.

this is totally normal just ignore it and by the time hes an old man he will stop lol

1 / 3