Help Weaning Breastfed Baby - He Won't Take Formula Bottle from Me

Due to my work schedule, I am trying to slowly wean my 6 month old son off of the breast. Starting by only pumping once/day at work, instead of 3 times. I will also breastfeed when he wakes in the morning, and in the evening when I'm home. So now my milk supply is changing based on the changing demand. The rough part is trying to get my son to take a bottle of formula from me on the weekends. He will act hungry, then will refuse the formula and force the bottle nipple out of his mouth. No one else has a problem feeding him a bottle, just his mama because he expects me to breastfeed! How did you all convince your baby to take a bottle from you? Thanks in advance!

Do you want to completely end breastfeeding or just reduce it?

Because at 6 months, with the introduction of solids, you should be able to skate by with fewer pumpings. I still breastfeed and only pump once a day.

My daughter started to refuse to take a bottle of EBM unless she was really hungry. It is best to switch over to a sippy cup. Bottles are bad for their bite and for their ears.

Let the baby nurse for goodness sake. You are his mommy and he needs that from you. You should be as close with him as much as you can the first few years of life and if it means breastfeeding all weekend long than do it. He needs to feel you and to suck on you and to be and feel as close to you as he can. It won't be forever. Like someone else said, he will taper off once he is eating solids. Enjoy this time while you have it. Soon he won't want to sit in your lap for long at all. Don't force this on him by pushing the bottle when you have the natural thing right there. It's so convenient.

I have 2 kids, ds 6 and dd 22 months and breastfeed both. My son would take an occasional bottle of breast milk from daddy or grandmom but my dd would never take a bottle from anyone. I think your son knows what is best for him, breastmilk, he can smell it when you are holding him and wants that instead of the bottle. Probably misses the warmth of nursing too. Why not go ahead and breastfeed him whenever you are with him and trying to feed him? Just a thought, it may be easier on everyone. Good luck!

Hi S.! When I weaned all three of mine I had the same problem each time. What worked well with each one was if I held the bottle very very close to my breast, without a top on. That way, the baby got the closeness, smell and warmth. I would also try to shower beforehand and express any milk so hopefully the smell wouldn't interact with the bottle feeding. I also made sure to feed in the same chair and keep everything as consistent as possible. Good luck! (PS...I also diluted the formula with breast milk.)

I breastfed all 3 of my babies-the middle one never did take a bottle at daycare. To compensate, he was up in the night to eat until 1 yr old (not the greatest solution!) Your body is remarkable & you may even be able to nurse during the day on the weekends & then cut back again during the week (just be prepared for the leaking, etc :) If you truly want to just nurse in the morning & at bedtime, you may have to just give the baby cereal/solids if you are alone. Otherwise, let your step-daughter or hubby give him the bottle. Also, he may drink the formula from a sippy cup if you offer it to him in his high chair (cradle holding him when he's used to getting it straight from the tap doesn't usually cut it--they smell mama!) Enjoy this time with your baby-as you can see from your step-daughter, they grow up so quickly! Best of luck.

gOOD FOR YOU FOR BREASTFEEDING. I too breastfeed my child. He never would take a bottle from anyone . So I send you a prayer and best of luck!

Ok, this may seem harsh, but just don't feed him unless he takes the bottle. He'll get hunger enough and take it. Hunger will convince him. You can't convince a 6 month old to take a bottle over the nipple. Believe me, it's harder on you than it is on him. I breastfed three children, two until 18 mos and one until 6 mos (she had allergies and I had to stop). The first bottles were difficult but they got the message.

I had to wean my daughter off of my breast early because I got pregnant again & lost my milk supply. I don't know if you are personally trying to give him a bottle of breastmilk, instead of formula, since they taste different. It'd be easier if he can get used to taking a bottle of breastmilk from you instead of a bottle of formula. It will take time, since I know my daughter had the same issue. It took her a little while to get used to me feeding her through the bottle versus the breast. Good luck!

1 / 3