HELP!!!!! We THINK My 3 Year Old Has HIVES!

My daughter has had a terrible cough and runny nose for the last 3 days so I started giving her Triaminic Long Acting Cough this morning. Well, right after I gave her the meds, I took her to change her out of her jammies and when I took off her clothes I got a HUGE surprise! She was COVERED in raised splotches. I took her to the Dr. and they told me to stop the Triaminic and give her Benadryl. They said it could have been an allergic reaction to the meds (but I don't think so since she's had the same meds. before) or it could be that she's got a viral infection. Sometimes the carrier of a viral infection can get hives. I didn't know that. Anyway, now it is bedtime and we just had a bath, but she's gotten more spots throughout the day. There are tiny little ones and then some that look like mosquito bites. I really don't think it's hives.....does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Do hives start out large and raised and then get really tiny? I've never dealt with hives before.

Ok, thank you all for your advice! My daughter DID have hives. The next morning she woke up with them EVEN WORSE! I had my husband take her BACK to the Dr. again. As it turned out, I was talking to one of her teachers in her preschool and 2 other children had a virus the week before that ended with a low fever and hives. Well, there ya have it! She had a cold and wasn't feeling very well then got a low fever and hives! They're gone now, FINALLY! Thanks again!

Sounds like a classic case of hives. Keep giving her the benadryl. Does she have any food or skin allergies? has she eaten anything new or have you changed the laundry detergent? If they do not go way with the Benadryl take her back to the doctor. Wth my daughter's first outbreak we went to the ER and they gave her a steriod shot to combat it and a few days of the steriod to use at home. She has only had to use Benadryl since them. She is allergic to peanuts, srawberries and shellfish. The doctor may send you to a pediatric allergist to get to the bottom of the problem.

My son broke into hives a little after his 3rd birthday and i gave him Zyrtec syrup for a few days and I came to the conclusion he had pineapples and that is usually a huge food that causes allergic reactions, but it wasn't that. The Dr. couldn't tell me either but the meds worked wonders and they didn't happen again.

Hello, J..

Like Mimi said, check your daughter's environment as well as the food she is eating. Detox your home. That means shampoos, conditioners, bath soap, laundry detergents and household cleaners. There could be something in the laundry detergent you are using that is causing a skin reaction. Bath soap, toothpaste, cleaners used for cleaning your house, carpet, floors, etc. It's amazing the things that can trigger skin irritations both from the inside and outside environment.

I use Shaklee's Get Clean cleaning products in my home and nothing else. They are safe for children, the environment, are much less expensive than other green cleaners on the market and they actually work. You may have seen them on Oprah or Rachael Ray. If you want more information on them, please contact me.

My daughter had visited a friend when she was younger for a sleepover. They slept on the sleeping bags on the carpet in her friend's room. When she woke up the next morning, any part of her skin that had touched the carpet was covered with red bumps very similar to what you are describing.

In talking with the mom, she had used a carpet freshener on the carpet.

It also helps to keep a log of activities and food she eats throughout the day so you can see what may be triggering the reaction. That helped when I was a child breaking out in "giant" hives. We found that peanuts, tomato sauce and definitely stress were all contributing factors. I've outgrown the allergies and manage the stress.

Your daughter will be fine. Take care. God Bless.

My oldest got hives a few years ago. We still to this day have no idea how or why. SHe broke out (from the neck down), they went away, and then a few hours later broke out again and looked worse. THey went away and I think the next day they came back but not as bad, then they just stopped. It was startling to say the least, but we didn't do anything. The doctor wasn't concerned. Keep an eye out for breathing difficulties, itching, those are bad signs of an allergic reaction. But that usually would occur shortly after ingesting or coming in contact with the trigger. Just watch your daughter, it may work its way out on its own.

Hi, if your daughter seems itchy, you can also try Calamine lotion. If you're giving her Benadryl, don't give her Caladryl, give her Calamine lotion, instead. If it's hives, they will get worse when she gets hot or right after a bath. My 3 year old son had hives and we kept him on Benadryl every 4 hours and Calamine lotion whenever he needed it. Good luck, but it will take about a week for the hives to go away.

Allergic reactions can happen anytime. It can show up after the 3rd or 4th time she's taken something that you think she's not allergic to. It can even show up days after she's stopped taking it. The thing is that when that first allergic reaction shows up, you need to find out what the allergy is to and discontinue use. Don't ever use it again. Each time the allergic reaction gets worse. Some reactions are life threatening and people carry the epi-pen for cases of emergencey.
I've got 4 children. I've been through several "spotted" days. Red spots always start in the groin/belly area, then spread to the extremities and face. It can take up to a week for them to diminish. Most of the time they don't itch as you think they would. Just because you discontinue use of the allergen doesn't mean the spots just automatically leave. They have to work their way out.
Another mom mentioned Roseola - very common for young children to get this. Although, it's usually in the spring. I don't know if that applies here because of our warm environment.
There's not really much you can do. They don't typically cause pain so don't worry about that. If they don't go away within a week, take her back in.
I really want to stress that just because she's taken something before and didn't have a reaction then, does not mean that she isn't allergic. It can show up any time. Please don't give her that medication again. And be sure to let the doctors know to have in her chart that she has had an allergic reaction to it for future reference.

My daughter has severe allergies to milk, eggs, soy and peanuts, mosquito saliva and so on. She gets hives from all of these things including some medications. I would suggest getting a RAST test, this is a blood draw and the ONLY way to determine allergies. You must be very careful because a severe allergic reaction can shut down the airway and the heart! We have to carry an epi-pen at all times.

Hives only come out due to stress. Stress can be caused by an infection or anything that weakens the immune system. They are a little bit scarier because you really never know when they are coming or how bad they will get. Watch her close but also start working on building her immune system so she can fight them off herself. If they are not Hives, the worst you've done is make her healthier.

Other than a good absorbable multivitamin, I would give her elderberry extract. You can get it at the health food store, it comes in a liquid and tastes good. You can mix it with water or tea. This is a food so its just like drinking concentrated juice but it has an immune building effect. There are other things but this should do the trick if the stimuli that started all this is gone.(Meds also weaken the immune system.)

Chiropractic care is not only for joint and bone issues but also for keeping everything working and keeping the immune system built. My home is detoxed, we have regular chiropractic care and my kids don't get sick anymore. If you'd like specifics, let me know.

Hope I helped!

my 3 1/2 year old and 1 year old both have allergies and struggle with hives. They take Zyrtec once a day and it works wonderfully. Their pediatrician told me Bendaryl only resolves allergy symptoms not hives. Apparently Zyrtec is the only over the counter pediatric allergy med that takes care of hives.

I suggest keeping a journal of when it happens if it happens more often. By doing so I found my girls get all puffy when grass is being mowed and at two specific parks in the neighborhood.

1 / 3