Help Think Doctor Misdiagnosed Me!!!

the last time I went to the doctors which was two weeks ago I told them I think I have a sinus infection (I get them all the time so I know) The spaces under my eyes are sore and I am still stuffed with my nose after two weeks, and I am getting constant headaches. When I saw the doc she just looked at me and said I didn't have one. She didn't even take look or even examine me. It's been making me upset because I have to go to an army hospital because my husband is in the army. None of the doctors have been making my first pregnancy enjoyable or something to look forward to. I go to an appointment they weigh me, take my temp then I see the doctor literally for less then 10 minutes. All the doc asks is are you ok, how are you feeling and things like that. They measure my belly and listen to the heartbeat. I haven't had an ultrasound since I was four months. You'd think they would check every now and then to make sure everything is fine. But it seems when I have problem they brush it off and tell me it's nothing. Anyone else have this problem? And what should I do about it?

I probably should have told you moms this but if I change doctors its a pain because I have to get all my medical records from the army hospital. The next hospital that is the closest is about 20-45 minutes away where as the army hospital is right around the corner of my house. So I am gonna have to stay where I am since I am almost done with this pregnancy.

I was on a government medical card when I was pregnant, and the clinic where I went to I actually only saw the doctor twice and both times we only exchanged a few sentences. One of those times was because I had morning sickness so bad I could barely eat, and I was 6 months pregnant. The doctor walked in, said to me "you know, you really should try to eat..." and then left.. lol, I was too shocked to even say anything to him. So not only have I heard of it being almost normal.. it can even be worse... but that doesn't mean you have to deal with it...

Take charge of your own health! If you believe you have a sinus infection, tx it! If yo don't know how, learn. There are many natural remedies for maintaining and restoring balance in your body. If I had a sinus infection, I would use a netty pot, maybe adding a little grapfruit seed extract or collodial silver to the warm salt water. I'd be taking garlic, echineacia, & noni juice. I tell you this not as a dx or tx, but rather just as an example of what yo can do for yourself that is safer than prescription drugs a doc would give you. happy lerning, may a whole new world be opened to you!

Have you thought about going to a midwife? I'm not sure about Bragg, but they do offer midwifery care at Ft Benning. You will receive longer visits and much more personalized care. I had my first in a hospital with private insurance, and was very disappointed with my OB. OB/GYNs are trained surgeons, and taught to treat medical problems. On the other hand, midwives generally specialize in normal pregnancies and natural childbirths. I'm on tricare prime now, and currently planning my third homebirth. I know there are some wonderful homebirth midwives in NC. I wish you all the best!

Actually, your experience doesn't sound all that weird even from a non-army doctor perspective. Stories like yours abound of doctors who treat patients like they're on an assembly line.

However, I wouldn't be upset over not having any other ultrasounds. They should only be used when medically necessary or appropriate; and as long as there is no indication that anything is wrong with your baby, you need to let him gestate in peace. While the ultrasound is supposedly outside the range of human hearing, it actually agitates the amniotic fluid and can disturb the baby -- one doctor did a simulation and found that the noise was like a subway train coming into the station!

Even though you've said that you "can't" go elsewhere, I would encourage you to do so. One of my friends had a similar experience when she was pregnant (husband was in the army, so went to an army hospital) -- her first pregnancy she was treated like you are, but stuck with it because it was "free." Her second, she chose to go elsewhere, even though she had to pay some or even all of the cost because it wasn't the army hospital. She said it was absolutely worth it and she'd do it again.

There are two things you can do about it -- change providers or file a complaint against your current ones (or both). I would strongly recommend that you change providers, preferably to a midwife who will take the time to sit down and talk to *you* and examine *you* and get to know *you*.

demand a better check up or report it to someone over their head, you pay a very high price for the use of their hospital. your husband and his service. if not for familys like yours they wouldn't have a job there. if they don't like what they are doing it isn't your fault. you and your baby have rights too. with out the armed services there wouldn't have to be any V.A. type places to employee them. good luck and god bless. try going to wal-mart and ask the pharmasist to show you where their sinus rinse kits are. do that daily and if you snot is yellow to green. it is an infection. R. mom of 7. and a army mom.

I don't know what to tell you, but I do have a natural way that could possibly take care of the sinuses. This is written for a child (good luck with that), but I have used it myself and it could work.

Nasal Irrgation

1. Take 1 pint of tepid water and add 1 level teaspoon of salt.
2. Blow the nose gently to remove as much mucus as possible. In case of a child who is unable to blow his nose, use a small rubber ear syringe (not plastic) and suck out the mucus.
3. Put the child on his back with the head hanging way over the bed so that he appears to be standing on his head.
4. Then put 3-5 medicine droppers full of salt solution in each nostril and use a 2 oz. medicine dropper bottle. Let him sit up and blow his nose. In the case of small child suck it out with the ear syringe. This should be repeated several times until the nostrils are clear.
5. Gargle with warm salt water if a post nasal discharge, sore throat or hoarseness is present.

p.s. this could get messy when that salt water runs out. Be ready with plenty of kleenex if you decide to try it.

HI A.,

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling well. Rest, plenty of fluids, vitamin C, vitamin D, Grapefruit Seed Extract(GSE), remove all added sugars and processed foods from your diet. This is all helpful to aid the body in healing itself. Chiropractic adjustments can help to eliminate any interference and further aid your body to heal on it's own. As I told you before, this is safe for pregnancy and can help baby get into optimal positioning for birth. Nasal irrigation with the neti pot can be helpful too and provide some relief. By allowing your body to work through this infection on it's own, you are building antibodies and making your body stronger.

As for your prenatal visits, this sounds very typical of maternity care in the US. It's not just common within Army hospitals but civilian hospitals as well.

Remember YOU are a consumer seeking a service....If you're not satisfied with that service then look elsewhere. YOU are in charge of your maternity care. Don't just settle for the Army hospital because of convenience. You'll have a more satisfying birth experience if you choose a provider that takes time for YOU! You have options, regardless of how far along you are. It's your birth and if you're not happy now, what makes you think your provider will listen to or take time for you when your baby is born? Are you okay with that?

You have choices:

* Seek services off post.

* Read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth".

* Watch the documentaries, "Business of Being Born" by Ricki Lake and Abbey Epstein or "Pregnant In America"

* Educate yourself about everything pregnancy and birth related so you can make informed decisions.

* Remember YOU are in charge....not your provider.

* If you're seeking more for your prenatal care, explore the midwifery model vs the medical model of care. This site has a detailed comparision of the two. http://www.morningstarbirth.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&...

* Hire a doula. If you're not familiar with doulas, they are trained/certified birth assistants. They educate and support women during pregnancy, birth, and post-partum. Most doulas work independently so their services tend to vary. If you'd like more information on doulas, feel free to email me.

Hope you find some relief soon.

I only got 1 ultrasound each with all 3 of my kids...so that doesn't sound strange to me. The Dr.appointments also seem about right...did they have you pee in a cup every time? That was the only thing different at all of my appointments...other than that all that you say about the pregnancy care sounds normal. I do not know what to say about the sinus infection, sorry!

Just wanted to tell you not to stress about receiving adequate care for your pregnancy, sounds like everything is going fine to me. What do you want them to do for you at each appointment that you wish they did, but don't? Talk with your doc and let him know your feelings...

Updated

Are you on Tricare Prime? THere are doctor's in town that take Tri P. I'm in Jacksonville, we're too far away for you, and I don't use Camp Lejeune. Too many headaches. Ask Tricare on base for the list of prime providers in your area. We use a family practioner.
Then call one of the docs and see of they are taking new patients. After you fill the paperwork out at the Tri office, usually in the hospital or hubby can bring it home. THey will change your PCM.
I have used the military docs for my last baby and while some are very good there are some that are only in NC because they have to be. Plus I was so sick of getting a new one every second and then having the one guy I liked PCS in the middle of my pregnancy.
TriCare only pays for one Ultrasound unless you are high risk.
Good luck dealing with the Tricare Gods.

1 / 3