12 answers

HELP! Son Spilled Water on the Leapster

Hi Mamas,

My son just spilled water on his Leapster Explorer. It was fine for a second, then the screen went all crazy and after I turned it off it won't turn back on.

Anyone have a great trick to get it working again?

My little guy is very sad to have broken his toy (he asked me to make sure I told you that).

(Obviously I dried it off. I also took the battery compartment off and made sure there's no water in there.)

TIA
T.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you all! I knew you'd have the answer. I don't have any dry rice (weird I know) but I'm about to call the neighbors and ask.

Thanks a million.

Featured Answers

Leave the battery out of it and put the leapster and the battery on a towel in front of a sunny window for a few days. I think it will be ok because it is only water and should dry out. I used this method when I dropped my cell phone in the toilet, lol, and it worked after 3 days of drying out. Good Luck!

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers

Leave the battery out of it and put the leapster and the battery on a towel in front of a sunny window for a few days. I think it will be ok because it is only water and should dry out. I used this method when I dropped my cell phone in the toilet, lol, and it worked after 3 days of drying out. Good Luck!

1 mom found this helpful

My friend's daughter washed her Ipod. Was not working at all. She put it in a bowl with white rice and covered with lid. Let it sit over night and by true magic the ipod turned on the next day. The rice around the ipod absorbed the water. Worth a try! Good Luck!

1 mom found this helpful

Definitely try putting in a container with rice. It may take more than a day though to completely dry it out--it could take up to a week. Hope you can get it fixed for your little guy.

Use a hair dryer while tipping it at an angle. Then put it inside a ziplock with a box of baking soda(not loose). This should dry it totally out in a day or so.
Works with cell phones too.

Unplug it and take the battery out immediately. Dry it out as much as possible, use the hair dryer and let it sit. Do not try to use it for a couple of days. It can dry out if you act quickly enough.

lol....I was going to say dry rice it works with cell phones :)

Even though you can't see any water in there, it probably got in there anyway. Put it in a container of rice with a lid for a day or two and then put the batteries back in it and see if that works. Rice is really good for absorbing moisture.

My son once spilled milk on his Leapster. Not a lot, but a tad.
It broke.
I even opened it up... to try and fix it and dry it up... nope.
The liquid also got between the screen layers... you can't get in there to fix it. In my son's case.. the liquid had gotten underneath the screen... top layer and under-layer...
Once the 'screen' and the under-layer is wet, the touch-screen will not work. And/or just not be responsive.
I bought him another one, same color same everything, from E-bay.
For a good price.

all the best,
Susan

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.