Help! Singulair Prescribed for My 3 1/2 Year Old.

We took my 3 1/2 yr old son to the doctor yesterday and asked what to give him for his allergies. He has been off and on allergy medicine since he was 6 months old. Currently we were told to put him on Clariten OTC which is no longer working. So we asked the doctor and she prescribed Singulair which I have heard good and bad things about it. Has anyone given it to their kids and what kind of results did you get? Thanks moms you always help!!

Thanks to all of you moms who responded you have reassured me enough to go ahead and give the medicine to him and see how he does. I love this sight everyone is so helpful!! Thanks again!

Both of my B/G twins who are 4 take it and have been for about a year now. We have had no problems, my son also takes OTC Zyrtec and that seems to help him as well. Good Luck!!

K. - single mom to 4 year old B/G twins.

My daughter took Singular 4 mg from age 4-6 1/2. We did not observe any behavioral or depression issues. She was on it for asthma control. According to the allergy testing she is not allergic to anything, however, she certainly has many sensitivities. I just took her off Singular a few weeks ago because one of the side effects can be eczema, and she also battles with that. I wanted to see if removing the Singulair had any impact on eczema. So far haven't noticed a difference. The other thing is that many websites report weight gain as a "unofficial" side effect. My daughter is definitely husky, unlike her thin as a twig older sister, but whether this is attributable to the Singular or something else entirely is unknown. My advice would be to try it and see if it helps.

My son has been on it since 4, he's 8 now. He hasn't had any problems with it at all. He doesn't have allergies, just asthma. It has worked so far. Good luck.

My daughter was put on it at 3 years old, but she did not tolerate it very well and I had to take her off of it. I have not tried it since as we seem to do okay with claritin for the most part.

The Dr. did say at the time that some kids have trouble tolerating it, but the only way to find out if it works is to try it.

T.,
Most of these posts are from the families that have not had any of the side effects that can come from taking Singulair. When my pediatrician prescribed Singulair for my son I freaked out while reading the warning sheet enclosed and went online to see if anyone had experienced any of the dozens of terrifying side effects...I found many, many horror stories and decided not to give my son this drug. We stuck with Zyrtec, Veramyst (low dose nasal spray) and the OTC antihystimine eye drops Zaditor. He wasn't totally symptom free but he got through the spring without being completely miserable. Please read the warnings on Singulair...Good Luck!

Hi T.,
Our son has been on Singulair since he was 15 months old, he is two and a half now. We have never had any problems since he started it. When the warnings came out earlier this year his allergist and pulmonologist each discussed it with me and neither were overly concerned about the new findings. I personally feel like Singulair has been nothing but helpful in treating our son's severe asthma and wouldn't even consider taking him off of it. However, Like Nicole mentioned maybe your son won't need to be on it very long. Keep up with his regular follow ups so they can monitor him closely. Good luck!

My son was also prescribed Singulair. We decided to go a more natural route and we took him to a chiropractor. I would suggest the same because it is all natural and my son has been extremely healthy since we started having chiropractic adjustments. I would recommend trying that before I would start Singulair. I saw a report that linked Singulair to depression in children. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are near Naperville/Aurora then you should try Dr Bill Buchar at Buchar Family Chiropractic. He works with a lot of children and he is excellent. Good Luck!

We have been having our 2 1/2 year old son on Singulair. It was ok, but I hated having him on adult meds.

We are now taking our son to a doctor that does the NAET technique - tests the kids for about 80 different allergies and it is technique that actually ELIMINATES the allergy. It is awesome. You can find out who is near you by going to www.naet.com

We go to Dr. David Tam in Lombard. He works with kids all the time to eliminate allergies - even kids with ADD ADHD Autism, Asthma and unexplained things that are often allergy related.

We went to a regular allergist prior and all he did was put our son on 6 different meds to suppress the very few allergies he tested him for. He has allergies and asthma.

I am so glad I heard about NAET!!

My 3 year old daughter has been on Singulair for over a year and has not had any problems. It has helped control her allergies/asthsma. Our pediatrician and pulmonologist recomened Singulair. I am happy with the results so far. Hope this helps.

My son and also my neighbor's kids have been prescribed singular for allergies. It seems to help quite a bit & haven't noticed any unusal "side effects". Good luck.

Hi T.~

Have you looked at the household cleaning products that you use??...There was link to our family allergies do to the products in our house.

If you would like more info, please visit or call:

www.FindTotalWellness.org
###-###-####

J. T.

1 / 3