Help Relieving My Newborns Gas Pains

I have a newborn. He is being formula fed and doing quite well. However, naturally he gets gassy from time to time and he seems so uncomfortable. He doesn't have to burp, it's more like lower gas pain. Mylicon drops are useless. Does anyone out there have any good tips that worked for them to help relieve the discomfort? I am already using Dr. browns bottles too btw.

When my daughter was haivng this problem, I switched to a formula that was a "gentle" version of the regular formula. It was Enfamil brand and I believe it was called something like "Gentlease". It has the milk proteins already partially broken down. The doctor had suggested it because she seemed to have trouble breaking down the milk proteins in the formula which made her gassy. The good news is that my daughter grew out of this stage and now drinks regular milk like a champ :)

Hello,

Mylicon did not work for my Daughters gas pains either, however the little tummys gas drops did :-)

Pay no attention to the formula and babies don't mix well!! People like that drive me crazy. This is something I saw my mom do years ago with my niece, lay him on his back, grab his little feet and start to move them back and forth (knees bent) in a bicycle motion. It helps relieve the gas. My pediatrition did it once too when I first had my daughter. Best of luck to you.

You probably have heard this, but gently move his knees toward his chest. One at a time or both together. I also heard something about rubbing his tummy I think Counter clockwise - not sure why the direction matters, but it is worth a try. We used similac with iron & then switched to the "parents choice" equivalent from Walmart. They are both manufactured at the same place, but priced differently. Parents choice is signifacantly cheaper. It tastes the same and has the same nutritional value - (this from my dr.)

We used gripe water for gas issues with our last newborn. It is a more natural remedy and we really liked it. You can google it to read about it. Here is one link that you can follow.

http://www.colichelp.com/shop/gripewater.html

Hi N.,

Sorry this is late, and it is going to sound really odd, but I read in a book. I also lived by it with my twins when they were little and works really well! Lay them on their back and carefully take their legs and push them into their belly. The first time that I did it I was all worried about hurting them, but then when you hear them starting farting and feeling so much better it gets easier because you know you are not hurting them. You can also try and rock them on their back while their knees are pushed into their bellys. It works well! Also cheaper then the gas drops.

carry him around... jiggle him a bit.. pat him.

bicycle his legs..

he cant really move his body yet.. so you have to do allthe work for him.

In a couple of months he will be able to move around and get that gas bubble out..

Gripe water is amazing!!! We used it with my older daughter when she was an infant. Mylicon drops only relieve gas pains in the stomach and some into the upper intestinal areas where as gripe water works to relieve gas througout the entire digestive system. I'm not totally sure where you can find it around here in MI. We bought it at a baby botique type place in Wisconsin. It was about $12 a bottle (larger bottle than Mylicon drops) and well worth every penny spent!! I also think you can find it online...I would just google gripe water...I'm telling you, you won't reget it, the other responses are good to help, but this will take the pain away for baby! Good luck!

We had success with bike peddling their legs to get some release. We'd gently stretch one leg down while pushing the other one gently up into the abdomen. Then switch legs, then pull both down, and finally push both towards the abdomen. That quite often was when the "toot" would signal success. There were times when it caused a little distress and then you knew that it was gas and had to go very slowly. It became a really enjoyable bonding time and I think its good for their legs, too. We often did it just because they liked it.

Massage his belly around in aclockwise circle. Presson his belly with the side of your hand from right under the rib cage to the bottom just before his private area. Using your thumbs starting at the belly button make a top of a heart shape pressing and curving up to the bottom of the rib cage. Than take your fingers and walk from left to right on his belly. Take his legs put them together and have him do like jUMPING like push his knees to him and than bring his legs flat do that about five or so times. You can also ride a bike with his legs. All these things will help push the gas out. I am a massage therapist. Some of the stuff maybe a little painful only because he has gas in his belly and you are moving it to push it out. One other thing you could do to is. when you make the bottle instead of putting a scoop of formula to 2 ozs of water put it to either 3 ox or 21/2 ozs. Water the formula down. If you want some more help you can contact me back and I will give you my number. I am a mother of 4 with one on the way and had one with really bad gas. You can also rub the belly and pat his back while hes on your knees or rub his back. I think rubbing in a clockwise or up and down motion helps better than patting.

1 / 3