Help! Pregnate Broke Mom Needs Cheap Recipes

me and my husband just got out on our own agin sence the hurricane and we're still figuring out our budget i realy need some cheap but good recipes so we arnt stuck eating fish sticks and roaman noodles every night lol thanks :)

I stumbled on a few recipes yesterday that are all under $1 per serving!

http://thehappyhousewife.com/saving-money-with-beans-and-...

Try different ways to make the ramen noodles:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=ramen+noodles

My daughter is 12 and learning to cook. We have tried making a ramen noodle salad. We boil the noodles (do not use the seasoning), then add zesty italian dressing, cucumbers and tomatoes. or
.use miracle whip and add ham & shredded cheese
.add brocoli & cheese
.creamed spinach and so on....

Another is mac&cheese w/weiners or smoked sausage or spam
Red beans & rice w/smoked sausage

You should check out www.livingonadime.com

Lots of recipes,money management tips, organization etc.

When we first got married we had a $30 a week grocery bill and feasted between 2 people (that was 20 years ago) What we did is used some of the same basic ingredients to make different meals. Making things from scratch is generally cheaper than buying the already processed meal so we saved that way. And shopping once a week means we are less tempted to buy extras each time we go to the store.

Think of all the meals you can make from:

2 pounds of hambuger (divided and freeze until use) $6
One head of lettuce became salads for a week. $1
One block of cheese (8oz) $2
1-2 fresh tomatoes $2
onions $.70
1 bell pepper $.40
garlic $.33 (this lasts more than a week)
1 jalepeno $.25
tortillas $1.99
pinto beans (from scratch) or a can of refried $1
kidney beans $.49
spaghetti noodles $1
one large can whole tomatoes $1.29
one small tomato sauce $.20
one can tomato paste $.40
packet of taco seasonings $.50
tortilla chips (extra) $2
salsa (extra)$2
tabasco (extra)?
black pepper ?
Italian salad dressing(extra) $2
Italian seasonings (skip this until you have money for herbs and seasonings...these can be added gradually as you have need cinnamon, Chili powder is another then cumin, bay leaf etc.)
a bag of apples $3
a bag of oranges $3
bananas $1
1 lemon $.25
a green veggie $1.50 (or canned green beans $.50)
peanut butter $2.50
jelly $1.50
whole wheat bread $2
eggs $1.80
oatmeal $2
brown sugar $2 (lasts a long time)
milk ($3)
butter ($1.99)

Some of these items will last more than a week others you may need more of: bread or milk... I think I have around $55 worth of groceries listed above that should last about 6 days for a family that's your size. (Breakfasts, lunches, dinners)

We would make soft tacos one day and taco salad the next.

Soft tacos:
brown in frying pan:
1 lb. hamburger (set asside 1/3 for the next day and refrigerate or you can freeze this part before cooking and do this a different day)
I usually use about a half of a packet of taco seasoning (less salt that way)to season
lettuce
tomato
grated cheese (1/4 block...just a sprinkle)
salsa

We'd throw the tortillas on top of the meat to warm them before serving and let folks put their own together.

Taco salad:
Warm (cook) up the taco meat turn off the heat and add can of kidney beans (drained)
In a bowl assemble:
chopped lettuce, tomato, diced onion, grated cheese (another 1/4 of an 8oz block)
add meat and
crunched up tortilla chips
If you want a salad dressing on this you can take some Italian Dressing and mix with a few drops of tabasco to taste
Another add in that's good for new baby on the way is avocado...yum!

Pintos/and Burritos
Next day, make a good pot of pintos and use the jalepeno, onion, garlic...however you like. Serve with tortillas (or jiffy cornbread has a mix for around $.30)

Use leftovers to make burritos (If you're sick of Mexican food by now you can wait on the burritos for a day and make spaghetti after the beans.) For the burritos mash (or open a can of refried) sprinkle with the rest of the cheese grated add salsa and offer the same veggies as were on the tacos.

Spaghetti

Saute onions, bell pepper, garlic with the hamburger and drain grease.
Add can of tomatoes, torn into pieces, tom. sauce, paste (with a little water to get to the consistency you want) any seasonings you like but if you just use pepper that's good.

Prepare pasta noodles using directions. Drain and put amount on plate you want. Add sauce.

Serve with a green veggie or green bean, and salad (lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese? It. dressing or salt and pepper with lemon juice

Pizza:
Leftover sauce can be used to make homemade pizzas if you add frozen bread dough (you thaw it before using) and an 8 oz. block of mozzarella to your list (another $4 for the two items.) You pat out the dough on buttered cookie sheet. Put some sauce on and cover with grated or sliced cheese stick in the oven at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Breakfast cereal is expensive...cheaper are meals like Oatmeal with a little butter, brown sugar and a splash of milk.
Eggs and toast (with jelly and or peanut butter)
Breakfast tacos (tortilla, egg, cheese, salsa)
Peanut Butter & Bananas on toast. Drink milk.

Lunches are leftovers or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with an apple or an orange, tortilla chip and salsa.

A yummy dessert is to take a few apples and slice them up. put them in a buttered oven dish. Take oatmeal, butter and brown sugar (if you have cinnamon shake some in) make a crumbly mixture, and put it on top of the apples. Bake at 350 for as long as it takes to soften the apples and crisp up the topping. YUM!

We'd alternate weeks and have hamburgers, chili, red beans and rice, roast a whole chicken (the cheaper kind) and make chicken pasta or chicken soup the next day for a menu plan other on another week. Things like this. My husband's rule is to always have some kind of veggie with a meal...saves dr. bills down the road.

I don't know what your budget is but you can cut extras and still have a tasty meal. Hope this helps some.

I have a great one that my friend sent me and we love it. She calls it Tortilla soup.
1 can chicken (I use the pkg of chicken that looks like tuna), 1 can chicken & rice soup, 1 can chicken broth, 1 can ranch style beans, 1 can rotel tomatoes. Mix it all together and heat it. Pour it over Tostitos bite size chips. Top with cheese, sour cream, avacodos, etc (whatever you like). Simple and tastes great. I personally do not add the broth because I like it a little thicker.

1 lb ground beef
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cups macaroni
1 cup grated cheddar

Brown the ground beef and season with salt and pepper (and a little Paprika if you like). Boil and drain the macaroni and transfer into a casserole dish. when meat is done browning pour in one undrained can of stewed tomatoes and simmer briefly while stirring constantly(you just want to get it warm and well mixed). Pour it over the macaroni noodles and mix together so that the meat and noodles are evenly distributed. Preheat oven to 350. Spread cheese over the top of the mixture and put in oven for 10 minutes.

Our whole family loves this casserole and our 18 month old gobbles it up.

Beans and rice or beans and cornbread
Spaghetti - don't need meat if you buy whole grain pasta
Chalupas
potato soup or any kind of soup

Check out Angel Food Ministries in your area for cheaper, bulk food. They can help you out on a budget. In fact, if you can afford it up front - you could feed a family of 4 with the basics for $140/month. You just have to plan ahead in order to preorder it and if you buy 4 weeks worth you need a freezer. So, sometimes I just buy one week to start off and add more when I can so that my dinners vary and I have enough stocked up in the freezer. I haven't done this in a while as I can't use my freezer right now, but it does help out a lot. It's not organic or anything - but you will get some meat and eggs and even a dessert.

There is this great recipe I stumbled on that's ultra easy and cheap to make. Everyone that's tried it has just loved it! Even my babysitter's house with all the kids she watched loved it. It's Tator Tot Casserole.
Here is what you need and how to make it:

One of the regular size bags of Tator Tots
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom
1 pound of hamburger meat
2-4 cups of shredded mild cheddar cheese (depending on how much cheese you would like on it)

Brown the hamburger meat in a pan and drain. Put in a large casserole dish and mix with Cream of Mushroom and make it into a sort of layer on the bottom of the dish once it's all mixed in. Then add the Tator Tot's in a layer and sprinkle the cheese on top. Cook in the oven according to whatever the normal directions for that bag of Tator Tots. They all different so make sure you check the Tator Tot bag for the correct heat and time. It's so easy and takes no time at all.

I have totally been where you are. Oh another thing you can always do is make the regular beef noodle Hamburger Helper and add in corn to it. Makes it stretch a bit. Just be sure to drain the corn before you do it. My husband didn't once and it was runny. LOL. Also you can take the boxes of Pasta Roni, I like the Angel Hair Pasta with Herbs, and add a can of chicken to it. I usually use two boxes of the Pasta and a can or two of chicken from the store.

D. H.

My family LOVES Homemade Gourmet. Most of the meals are about $1-$2 per serving. Not only do you then get to determine what your family eats, the meals are so easy! The concept behind the company is cooking should be as easy as Dump, Stir, Heat and Eat! Got to love that!! For some great easy recipes go to www.easytopreparemeals.com and click on the easy recipe tab at the top. I am a consultant for the company, so if you see something that you like or have any questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help you!

K. Sharp

1 / 3