HELP PLEASE! Twin Toddlers Taking Poopy Diapers Off...

Hello mamas!
I really need some advice here. My 23 month old twin boys are obsessed with taking their diapers off at nap and even play in their poop...YUCK! Besides the obvious, the major problem with this is that they only do it at daycare. They go to a private in-home daycare where she only watches my boys and one other baby. I am worried because she uses a "3 strikes and you're out" policy and I know she has to be at her wits end. This has been going on for a couple of months now. She has duct taped their diapers, we have put leggings under their onsies, layered clothes, etc. They still manage to get in their diaper. Our ped. just said to be consistent with strict discipline and to be patient. The only punishment for this age is time-outs and even though they seem to HATE being in time out they still do it. She gave them a bath today, for instance, after it happened and when we got home this evening their little hands still smelled like poop. This has to stop...please feel free to leave any advice you have. Thanks a ton!
p.s. As a response to the responses I have recieved so far I just want to add that we are starting potty training this weekend. This has been our plan for a while. They have shown signs of being ready for a little while but we were waiting to got through our Disney World trip to start working on it. And as far as the time outs...that method of discipline was reccomended by our pediatrician whom I respect and like very much.

I just want to thank everyone who has responded so far. We have been working on potty training this weekend and it has become very clear to me that they really are not ready. They have NO CLUE when they are peeing. Being born a month early, their maturity is somewhat behind their age and I, as their mother, can tell that they are not at the point yet to tell me when they need to go. It is clear that they don't know "the feeling." I'm not gonna rush things...I know them best and I am certain they aren't ready. Like I said, they don't only take their diapers off when they are poopy...they do it no matter what so it has nothing to do with not wanting to sit in dirty or wet. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. My only advice for further responses would be for some of you to watch your tone. A lot of my responses came across as trying to make me feel like I am doing something wrong with my children. Remember, everyone parents different, everyone has their own circumstances, and every child learns at their own rate. No 2 families are alike.

I'de start looking for new day care. Why isn't this woman changing the diapers when they poop? Why is the poop there long enough for them to play in it? Maybe they're trying to remove the poop themselves. She can't be to clean if the twins hands still smelled after a bath...think about it mom.

I have I nice roll of clear packing tape that has worked wonders for my little one. I just put a small piece over the tabs on the diaper. Also, onesies with a little of the tape over the buttons. A couple of weeks and mine stopped trying to take it off. Hope this helps.

They are ready to potty train. I found that this is the time to put both of them in the tub and give them wipes and make them clean themselves up. Then make them sit on the potty every so often.

Do they go about the same time every day? Make them sit on the potty during this time.

Put them in training pants...like teri cloth pants...not pull-ups (those are just glorified diapers) and have them sit on a potty chair. Put the chair in whatever room they are in. If they look like they are straining make them sit. If they make a mess, put them in the tub and make them clean themselves before she baths them. I give mine a grocery bag and some wipes and help them clean up. I explain it is disgusting and babies poop on themselves. WE make a big deal about being a big.

If they manage to poop in the potty, give them a chocolate chip.

I would even suggest that she start out the first day or two letting them run around naked. Does she have a big bath or kitchen with linoleum floors? Get some coloring books, games and such, lots of juice in cups, a potty chair, a plenty of paper towels.

Every time they start to go, sit them on the potty real fast. If they manage to get some in the potty, make a huge deal out of it and then give them a chocolate chip. This usually takes one day. One or two accidents down the leg and they figure it out. That's when you move on to teri cloth pants or big boy underwear.

Talk it over with your sitter and see what she says. If she agrees...then go out and buy all the supplies she will need.

potty chair
chocolate chips
training pants like the teri cloth kind
carpet cleaner for the carpet
paper towels for the linoleum
coloring books/crayons
books to read
games of some kind
And some extra money in her check :)

Bring it all over like a big present and have the children open it and make a huge deal out of it. It may take a day or two being naked to figure out what pee pee and poo means and when it happens, but then the traning pants for a week and they should get it.

She will have to maybe set a timer and remind them every half hour or less (depending on them) to not go in their pants.

It is time consuming, but it works every time. I've trained four thus far and had no problems.

My 25 month old does the same thing. Even while on the commode she reaches back there and likes to touch. We've had to do baths 3 times in one day - 2 is our average. I agree, this is the most disgusting behavior I have ever experienced with any of my children. You said you tried leggings. What about the tights with no feet? I have noticed that when she has tights on I am able to catch her before she makes it to the diaper/ poop. It has been two days since I started consistently putting tights on her, HTH!

Try putting them in the onesie inside out and backwards (it's harder to get to the snaps that way). Also, pin their diapers to their clothing with an old fashioned diaper pin (Wal-Mart and Meijer carry them). I also put my girls (and the other diaper escapees I nanny for) in a zip up, footed, one piece outfit and put a diaper pin at the top right under the zipper so they can unzip it. At night, you can do the same with footed sleepers and/or put the sleeper on backwards!

mom to 8 year old ggg triplets
nanny to 2 sets of triplets (2 in Aug and 2 in Dec!)

I totally feel for your sitter (and you)!!! My daughter has been doing this for a while now. (27 mo.) She would take her diaper off, fling her poop around the room and smear it on her crib- DISGUSTING I was very stressed out from all the changing of sheets and trying to get the smell off her hands. We tried everything. My girl can pretty much get out of any clothing situation and would stick her hands in her diaper even if it was duct taped on. I read that they might think it is a "reward" to get a nice warm bath afterwards (since my daughter LOVES her bath) and to give her a cold shower and after 2 times it should stop. It did seem to help but I felt like I was torturing my girl. She sometimes is interested in sitting on the potty but refuses to go in it. I think she is afraid not to "go" in a diaper, so I don't want to push her to potty train if she is not ready. So what we found works best for us is POSITIVE reinforcement. We bought her some stickers that she really likes and if she is a "good girl" she gets a SPECIAL STICKER! So, now she knows that if she does not play with her diaper she will get good attention and a special treat. None of the punishments worked. Wouldn't we all rather be praised for our good doings anyway? Good Luck!!!!

It sounds like your twins are very tactile learners. Make sure you and your caregivers are providing them with enough activities that offer a variety of textures...Play dough, shaving cream, finger paints, even mud (yes I know messy, but better that poop!) If they have enough stimualion with the gooy things they seem to like feeling they will not feel the need to play with the poop. Good luck!

My son is 26 months (almost) and the minute he ripped off his diaper, no more diapers. Granted this only started a few days ago, but we're almost done. He's telling me for the most part or just going on his own. That is sometimes he makes it to the potty, but others he hits the floor, however at least he's making it to the bathroom. I thougt 2 was too young for a boy, but he started asking me to use a potty once in a while at 23 months, and the minute he started showing me he likes to "finger paint" I decided that I'd had enough of the stinky diapers. Maybe work on it over a 3 day weekend, or take a friday or monday off if you can. I've heard 3 days naked with a potty seat in the play room works wonders. Just set a timer for 25 minutes and make him sit every time it goes off. Everyone I know swears by it, so we're giving it a shot, and 1.5 days left so we'll see. So far im impressed.

One of my sons was taking his diaper off a lot when he was about that age. He wasn't playing in his poop but just liked being naked. So when I went in the room after nap he would be naked...except for his shirt he couldn't seem to get off. I started putting him in overalls all the time...until he forgot about taking his clothes off. He couldn't get out of the overalls. So if your boys can't work the snaps on overalls you could try that. Good luck!!!

1 / 3