Help or Advice Needed for Mom to Be with No Insurance!

HI LADIES! I am 30 and just found out last night I am going to have a baby! Although I am excited it was a complete accident! My husband and I do not insurance and are at our wits end in worry about how we are going to pay for this pregnancy. Does anyone have any advice or know any services that covers women that do not qualify for the goverment programs?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT AND ADVICE!! It is MUCH needed and appreciated!!! I am scheduled to go to the health department to see if they can help next week, however I think I am over their income scale. :( I am hoping for the best though. You mommies are the greatest..THANK YOU!

I would think going to a goverment funded hospital like jackson Memorial would be a good idea. But now that you are pregnant you may qualify for Medicaid.

Midwives! If you are low risk a midwife is the way to go. Much cheaper than the hospital and MUCH more friendly. I had my son at Labor of Love in Lutz (there are several others in the area as well). Laborluv.com

Apply for medicaid. Any pregnant woman won't be refused. Labor of Luv is another option (birthing center). I think total cost for care and birthing is around $4k.

R.,
First, Congratulations!!
Second, there are many ways around this. You can apply for pregnancy medicaid. Go to the county that you live in health dept & apply. You can do it online too. I dont know the website, but I'm sure somebody else will post it.
Or, you can ask your OB what their cash paying rate is for a pregnancy & birth. And do the same at the hospital. If you can do a birthing center, that means no epidural, I think, they are much cheaper than a hospital. I just had a baby 5 wks ago & we thought we were going to have to pay cash for him, turns out, we didnt. But for the pregnancy, c-section & hospital stay, it was under $7,000. Which isnt that much considering some insurance companies have co-pays that high. Don't panic, where there's a will, there's a way!!!
Heather

Go to ehealthinsurance.com. They will let you compare policies and you may find one cheaper than you think. You may also be able to get a "maternity" policy. My friend was in the same boat as you - surprise pregnancy - and she got covered very cheaply.
Good Luck and Congratulations to you and your family!

Hi R. and congrats!

I haven't read the other responses but here's mine:

If you are not high risk, you can go to a midwife who will charge you less out of pocket than an o.b, plus you're likely to have a fantastic experience-- I did with both of mine. Here's some more info on midwives:
http://birthing-options.suite101.com/article.cfm/midwives...

Also, this won't help you now, but if you'd like to see maternity care available for women and a break from our current healthcare system, which is not focused on health (not even the health of pregnant women and newborns since you have to pay exhorbitant amounts of money to get any coverage for pregnancy), then make your opinions known by getting involved with Health Care for America now. Here's their site: http://www.healthcareforamericanow.org/page/s/revolution

Good luck and congrats again! :)

Most health insurance plans that you can buy privately have a waiting period for you to use maternity coverage. (sometimes up to a year!) The only exception I've found is student health insurance plans offered through colleges. It may be worth investigating signing up for an on-line college program and buying a health insurance plan (either through a student loan, etc...) USF in Tampa has several on-line programs and their health insurance plan (through Blue Cross/Blue Shields) has great maternity coverage for $1539 from 8/19/09-8/17/10. There are options to add your spouse and child, but it's a little more money... If you already have a bachelors degree, they have tons of master's degree programs and certificates... (many offered on-line)
It's a crazy idea... but you'd probably spend more directly to a doctor without insurance... You'll have to act fast on applying, etc... If you write directly to the program you're interested in, they can probably squeeze you in.

Congratulations on the baby!! I wish I had more specific information, but my friend was in the same position. She cried for months about it. But then she researched on the computer diiffernt opportunities for pregnancy without insurance. She found so many things that she was able to chose a hospital and care that didn't cost her anything!!
God Provides!!

You can go to the health dept. I just gave birth to my son and had no insurance. The health dept will do a pregnancy test and give you a proof of pregnancy. After that they will set you up an appoinment to speak to the intake person where they help you get set up for medicaid. They do all of the appointments there and are really nice.

dont know what county you are in but in Palm Beach you can go to the health dept and apply for SOBRA-it is 45 days of coverage to get you into prenatal care while your application for medicaid for pregnant women is being processed. The income eligibility is higher for pregnant women so it is easier to get. SOBRA is a federal program so it is available to everyone. I just know that the office is at the health depts in Palm Beach. If you do not qualify you still have the 45 days of care to get into prenatal care early. Also if you have a Healthy Moathers/Healthy Babies in your county you can call them to get you linked to prenatal care. They can do the SOBRA applications as well and they also work with doctors office for sliding fee scales. You best bet is Healthy Mothers/ Healthy Babies. Linking to prenatal care is what they do.
Good luch and Congratulations.

First of all, CONGRATS on your good news! Most states carry health programs just for preganant women. Go to your local health department for a pregnancy test, if it's positive, the test is free. They will be able to give you more info.

1 / 3