Help: My Son Has Red Cheeks

For the past three weeks my 8 month old son's cheeks have been really red. And then just recently on side started to bruise. At first I thought it could be food alergies, but we have not fed him anything new. We started feeding him solids at 4 months introducing only one new item at a time, and he did not rash then. We have just recently started to serve him bread. I took that away thinking it might be the cause for the rashes but it did not go away. I am now thinking he might be getting in his molars, becuase he keeps stuffing his hand to the back of his mouth. Right now he only has his two bottem front teeth and one top front tooth. Is is possible for him to be getting his molars at this point in time.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I really appreciate it. I talked to a friend of mine who is a nurse and she also said the red cheeks were probably just from the cold.I live in Logan and it is so cold here. So I decided not to take him in to the docoter. After watching my kid play for a little while, I noticed that he hits himself with the toys sometimes, usually in the spot were he got the bruise. So I am assuming that is where the bruise came from. It has gone away and he has not got one since. I will ask the docoter about it on his next routine checkup. Thanks again for all your wonderful responses.

My son has had red cheeks since he was born and they have never gone away. He is now 10 months and has his two bottom teeth and two top teeth. I truely don't think he could be getting his molars so soon. Some kids don't get those till they are 18months or so. But you never know....He is most likely teething. I would give him those teething rings (that are cold) and something to suck on, maybe a cold wet washcloth. My son always liked that. If he isn't acting different besides whinny, as kids who are teething normally do, I wouldn't worry. Like I said my son is fine and his rosey red cheeks have never gone away.

My son got red cheeks, around this age too, at first I just thought it was food aleriges to a new food that was recently introduced, but it gradually got worse. I took him in and found out he had severe eczema. It was so bad that it was often pussie looking. We tried several prescriptions, but the Dr said that he would just one day out grow it and he did. He has beautiful skin now.

I would go to the doctors right away, that doesn't sound normal. The bruising is most concerning. Go asap.

My daughter turned 2 in October and for as long as I can remember she's always had red cheeks, getting even redder when she's tired or it's cold outside. My doctor has never seemed too concerned about it, so I don't worry too much. Usually once she sleeps the redness is mostly gone until she gets tired again. Probably not much help, but that's my experience with the redness.

where do you live? his skin may be sensitive to cold...
Aloe Vera is absolutely safe thing, and if applied as a lotion, always helps to heal any irritations of the skin.

Could it be dry skin?? I know with the weather the way it is, that could be a possibility too. As for molars- I don't really recall the time frame- but it seems a little early.

Pink to even red cheeks are very normal with teething. Ask your Dr. but that is one of the tell tale signs that new teeth are coming in.

My son had very red cheeks while he was teething. His cheeks never bruised but they did get VERY red. He also gets red cheeks whenever he gets a fever. Hopefully that it is not food alergies but I would have him checked or at least talk to your doctor about it.

Hi G., it could be Eczema. My son gets it and it starts with red cheeks (really red, like clown makeup). He also had it on his knee and it turned purple like a bruise and had us really concerned. We took him to urgent care.

If it is Eczema (aka, chronic dry skin), there are a lot of natural ways to either eliminate it or reduce symptoms. The green mercantile has some really mild blue bar soap that we use and the Whole Foods has some eczema lotion.

My first thought is dry skin due to cold weather, but if it doesn't go away after a while I would suspect Fifth's Disease. This is only a virus. Call your Dr.

1 / 3