HELP!, My Hair Is Falling Out!

I had my daughter almost six months ago, and I know from my previous pregnancy that after I had my son, some of my hair started to fall out, but that stopped after about 4 months, and there wasn't that much that fell out. Now, however, after my daughter was born, my hair is still falling out, and it's not just a little. Everytime I shower enough hair comes out to completely clog the drain and usually even more comes out while I'm brushing. So is this normal or should I talk to my doctor about it? Or maybe it's the shampoo that I'm using? Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Mine fell out for almost 18 months afterwards! It was everywhere!!!!! The sinks were always clogged and my oldest would say, " There's a mommy hair again!". luckily I had a lot of hair, so I didn't mind losing some...I just wish it would have fallen out all at the same time where I could have neatly disposed of it (haha).

I too have a 6 month old daughter. My hair started to fall out one month ago by the handful. I have to empty the shower drain after every shower. I was told by other mothers that this is normal and continue up to a year after giving birth. The only thing that I do is brush my hair before the I shower so I don't clog up the drain too much.

It's good to know that it's not just me. I also have a six month old and I thought there was something wrong with me. My hair is also falling out and I have many other issues as well. I have been going to the Dr. to find out what the problem could be and they have yet to find anything.

Hi E.!! I'm new here, but thought I would respond to your post. My youngest are 4 and 1/2 year old twins and my hair is STILL falling out like yours. You'd think I would be bald by now, but it is still thick. Do you wear your hair in a pony tail a lot?? I do... I was told that you lose around 100 hairs a day normally and I think that since it is pulled back most of the time, the normal fall out occurs in the shower or while I'm brushing my hair. I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH,

E.,
I just wanted to drop a note to tell you my own story on this. Maybe it can help you. I started losing my hair about 4 years ago. It wasn't because I had just had a baby, but it was around the time that my son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. I thought at first that it was just stress because we were going through some really, really tough times. But when it KEPT falling out, I finally went to the dermatologist (I have rosacia also, so I see him for that). They took a couple of strands of my hair to look at the roots and I was told I had alopecia areata. There are 3 types of alopecia (areata, totalis and one more I can't remember). They don't know what causes it, they speculate that in my case it was indeed stress. But people who lose less than 50 percent of their hair are classified alopecia areata, more than 50 percent is the one I can't remember, and people who lose all body hair over their entire body (including eye lashes, eye brows, EVERYTHING) are classified as alopecia totalis. Now the 1st two will grow their hair back after a time but people with totalis usually won't. It sounds like you maybe would fit into one of the 1st categories if you have alopecia, since your hair grew back once. I lost alot of hair and wore a wig for about a year. It actually ended up fun because people would compliment me all the time about my hair and the color of it, etc. You can change anytime you felt like something new! Anyway, after that year, my hair grew back. I went for like 2 years and then I started to notice that it was falling out again. It didn't happen quite as bad this time, I didn't resort to a wig, I just have a very creative hairdresser :) What the doctor told me is that it can just happen out of the blue with no reason and it will grow back and can happen again at any time. You can google alopecia and there are TONS of support websites out there. I was amazed at how many there are. Also there are things that the doctors will try to help stimulate hair growth. I tried the cortizone shots (yes shots in my scalp) but I don't think they did any good. Basically, what happens is the body's immune system attacks the hair folicles and kills them. No hair can grow where the folicle is damage. Then once the body rights itself the folicles recover and hair can grow back. It's all very complicated to me...anyway, if you need anything at all, don't hesitate to shot me an email or something! Just know that even if it's something like this, it's not the end of the world. It sure felt like it to me, I was so upset, and I'm a bit of a vain person. I like to look nice & I felt like I didn't but my husband was very supportive and would constantly tell me I was beautiful no matter what! So with a good support network, you can make it through!

I had a problem with my hair getting very thin and it was brittle and lifeless. I went to GNC and bought a bottle of ULTRA NOURISH HAIR - and my hair has thickened up dramatically! My hair has also gotten stronger and it is shiny and healthy. My nails have also gotten stronger and longer.

This is something that you may want to try. They are about $14 per bottle.

It is normal to start losing hair between three and six months after childbirth(usually closest to three). It can continue for three to six months. You will then see short hairs coming in,especially at temple area. Just eat a healthy diet and stay on your prenatal vitamins.

I know from experience that some hair loss is normal. When you're pregnant, the new hormones in your body discourage your hair from falling out. After you give birth, and the hormones start to decrease, it seems like you're experiencing a huge hair loss, while it's really only the old hair that would normally fall out, coming out all at once. However, in your case, since the hair loss is prolonged, I would recommend asking your doctor about it. You may have a hormonal imbalance. Hope that helps! C.

I understand how you feel. I did not lose too much hair after my son was born. However, my daughter is 4 years old and I am still losing hair. I have asked my dr. about it and she is not too concerned. I have also recently had a lot of hair growth (accoreding to my hair dresser) -- maybe the hair is finally replacing itself. Sorry I don't have any good advice but you are not alone.

It sounds normal, but you could always have your doctor check your tyroid. Thyroid problems are common after pregnancy and can cause hair loss. My guess though is that it is normal.

I think it's normal, and can vary from one post pregnancy to the next (even for the same Mom)! ;) But, it can't hurt to mention it to your doctor and tell him/her if you're having any other symptoms that might be a concern. I think the hair loss after having a baby is related to hormones, and I noticed my hormones were way crazier when I was pregnant with my girl than with my boy! ;)

1 / 3