Help My Daughter's Mosquito Bites Are Scaring!!

Since last year everytime my 2yr old gets a bite from a mosquito it scars! First it looks normal like everyones bites do, then it slowly will harden and crust up. Eventually it will burst and cause a scar! I don't know what to do, I have had to buy mederma to try and minimize her scars, but she is only a baby and shouldn't have scars like this. If she is outside for 5 minutes she will come back in with no less then 3! So you can imagine how bad it was when she went out with her brothers on the porch for no more then 15 minutes! I have tried the off, but you always find one somewhere on her body. I use cream for poison ivy to keep her from scratching but she still does. I also use hydrocort 1% for the itching! Now over the summer as she was in the pool gettin tanned by the sun, her scars were standing out more and more. I really can't wait for the fall/winter time so she can where pants! I have talked to an assistant at her dr's office and she said to give her some benadryl when she gets a bite. Can you imagine how much benadryl that would end up being! I have tried to at night put a bandaid on then before they burst but she just won't allow them to stay on, and to make matters worse she will just sit and pick at any scabs she might have! I am affraid my daughter's going to have unnecessary scars that I might be about to help get rid of now! If anyone has any advice I would definitly appreciate it.

Hi M. my granddaughter is the same way. When she gets bitten by a mosquito her does the same thing. I took her to the doctore and he told me she allegric to them. He told me
when she get bitten put ice on to minmize the swollen, then give her liquid benydrl, I also put on some antibotic cream. But most in important I bought children safe bug repellant for
when she going to be outside. When she was 2 it was worse, she 7 now and the bites don't get as large.

I don't have an answer for this because my daughter is exactly the same way and she is now nine. Like you, I cannot in good faith give her Benedryl every day during the summer. We have just tried to be dilligent with the off and unfortunatly keep her in in the evenings. Her baby scars have faded, the others well, we keep our fingers crossed. Honestly right now, my poor little girl looks like she had the measles or Chicken Pox on her legs. If anyone DOES have an answer - Please help!

My daughter - 25 months - also has this happen. Exactly as you describe. I am waiting for the tan to fade to see if the scarring is less noticeable, otherwise I will try the Mederma for Kids.

If you discover a fresh bite, try this: Rub it with the inside of a banana peel. Souns strange, I know, but I tried it on myself and there was no itch.

Okay, and I just googled and it is for real, I am not making it up. I also found this website for a natural product containing bananas for this purpose, which I may buy.

http://www.nutopicals.com/bananas.htm

although i dont think benedryl is awful to use (but some kids get hyper from it), i doubt it would actually do too much to help. scars do fade at this young age- once the summer is over and the tans fade the skin will rejuvinate and be fine. i spray off all over my kids clothes but otherwise there isnt too much to do. some kids and adults just get bitten. try to avoid the mosquito areas. the after bite for kids works on some kids. i hear toothpaste helps too. my son has bad exzema and even in summer i keep him in the footed pajama bottoms and long sleeves to prevent itching.

Michelle,

I find that pure aloe ver has very good healing properties for skin ailments, as does cocoa butter. I had eczema something horrible when I was younger and picked, scratched and dug uncontrollably. Luckily the scars faded.

I am a mom of four not a doctor. I think first aid sprays with numbing stuff and anti ITCH GEL can help prevent these little ones from itching.... re-itching. I think the little bit of surface infection from itching and itching causes the scaring (or worst scaring). Yes it is a lot of benadryl to take by mouth but wouldn't it be worth not having those awful scares that you see every day that are our fault if we don't give the medicine that helps these little darlings. I use both forms of the medicine though, the itch medicine (gel) we can put on the skin that is in the clear liquid almost gel like form, that they sell at I think most every drug store or walmart or target; The ingredient diphenhydramine hydrochloride is like putting on liquid benadryl that gets absorbed by the skin. you can put a drop on every hour or every 15 minutes if you want. you can also alternate hydrocortizone every hour or every 15 minutes. This way I can get lots of benadryl right where its is needed. alternating first aid sprays with numbing stuff help prevent the itching too especially if the little darlings already started itching before you realized they had a bite. but the biggest winner is lots of applications of liquid itch relief gel. it helps with the itching feeling and is going in the skin and helping with the reactions going on in the skin. so its helping short term and long term. key multiple applications. but alternate with the other things as well if you care about preventing scaring. once my child itches the top surface skin away I don't just think of it as only a bite its a wound now too, so then I alternate neosporin too. About old scars keep them out of the sun and moisturize often. mederma has sun screen in it . Small band aids or clothes block the sun too. when my kids see me putting stuff on them and they are getting better they believe me and find the will power to stop itching because they BELIEVE ME that the itch will go away faster when they consistently see me helping them. and yes applying something every hour or every 15 minutes can take a lot of time for a few days but applying stuff to scars for three years takes time too, so take your pick

Hi Michelle,
Go to the site below and check out what they have. I got the dermatechrx for poison ivy and it was gon in two days. I wish you luck!

http://shop.qbased.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&...

Michelle,

I used to have the same problem. I was told by a dermatologist that my bites were photo-sensative. In other words sun made them scar. There is no going back except time.

I would deffinately take her to a dermatologist and have them checked if that is at all possible. At the very least I would recommend that you try to keep her out of the sun as much as possible. No amount of sun screen make any difference for me.

Basically, I was super alergic to the bites and the sun made them 10 times worse. I had to stop letting the sun hit my legs. When I did that they (the scars) cleared up within a couple of years. (I didn't have this problem anywhere but my legs)

Good luck. I know personally it is not a pretty picture. Feel free to email me directly if you would like.

1 / 3