Help! My Daughter Refuses to Take Her Medicine for ADD.

Hi Ladies,
I know that alot of moms are against medication but I really need help. My daughter was diagnosed with ADD (not H) when she was in the second grade. She started taking Ritalin LA April of the 2nd grade school year. We do not give it to her on weekends or during the school or summer vacations. She did really good in the 3rd grade on the medicine. April of her 3rd grade year she decided all of a sudden that she does not want to take it anymore. So I let her stop without telling her teacher. I wanted to see if her teacher would notice. Well, it did not take long. within 2wks she called me in and noticed that there was a decline in her school work and performance. I did not say anything but anyway since we were towards the end of the school year I did not make an issue with my daughter and force her. Well now my daughter just started 4th grade and here lies the problem. She still is no longer taking the medicine. She is stressed overwhelmed and feeling sorry for herself that school is so hard. I am at my wits end. Homework assigned should take 45 minutes tops and it has been taking 2-4hrs. Blood sweat and tears by us both! I kindly suggested to her that maybe we should try the medicine again and she freaked out and said no, it is gross tasting. In the past I have opened up the capsule and put it in applesauce and I even poured it into chocolate pudding to dilute the taste but she still hates it. That is the only reason she is giving me for not wanting to take it any more. what should I do? Please help! When she is on the medication it is amazing the difference in her school performance. I would not believe it if I did not expereince the past 2 years. It really truly does help her!

Is it able to be put into a drink? Maybe something cool that she loves - Koolaid?? My daughter is on Macrodantin and we put it in her drink. Hers is a powder capsule, so we open it up and mix it in. Just ask her doctor if that is ok to do with her meds. I to stay at home with three kids, 5,3,1

It is crazy but I love it. Finances were tough though!

M. Langlois

Helping Moms help their families!
http://www.WorkingGreenMoms.com

Just an addition to earlier posts.
If she doesn't know how/can't swallow a pill, try teaching her using mini M&M's.

Hi. I'm a mom of an ADHD boy (the H is definitely included :->). We avoided medication initially and tried all kinds of things until a very kind and experienced teacher suggested we talk to our doctor. She recognized that our son had a lot of potential, but that he could have a chemical imbalance inhibiting that. Long story short - we gained a good understanding of the brain chemistry and believe that in this case medication was a good choice for us. We started him on Adderall, which helped but it was a FIGHT every day to get him to take it. Like we didn't have enough stress already? Within about a year, we learned about Daytrana, which is a patch you put on the hip. Talk about a dream come true. Like all ADD/ADHD meds, it does have some side effects but the benefits far outweigh those. He's been on it for 3-4 years now and it has really been a life saver. It helped him calm down and focus enough to be able to exceed in school and late last year he tested as a gifted child. I am very sure that if we did not have the benefit of this medication, we may have missed his gifted ability under all the struggles ADHD brings. The key side effects are loss of appetite, irritated skin and sleeplessness. So, he takes melatonin (over the counter sleep aid suggested by our doctors) during the school week and we give him hefty foods like Boost shakes in the morning, etc. For the redness on the skin, we use an oil with vitamin E at night to soothe it and clean off any residue. Daytrana is fairly new, so I find it's still not commonly spoken of. I would highly recommend looking into it as an option. Because my son has the hyper aspect as well, when he is not medicated he gets the feeling of being out of control and it frustrates him. He is able to do the things he loves, like read and draw, because we found a way to manage it. Good luck to you - and don't lose heart. I know how it feels to love your kid so much but also struggle with feeling drained and overwhelmed by their condition. I hope this helps.

If it is just the taste I would try to get her to start taking pills. My son is 7 and has been swallowing pills that size since he was 5. He has ADHD and also takes the Ritalin. The pills are rather small and smooth so they go down easily. But I would make sure that this is the only problem. Most children on Ritalin has a dr. for med management. Does she see a psychiatrist for this? Maybe SHE should talk to the dr herself whether it be her pediatrician or a psychiatrist and let the dr. know what the problems are.

You are the mom she is the child. She shouldn't be telling you want she wants if you are the one who knows what is good for her. Tell her no TV or computer at night if she doesn't take her medicine. Tell her she can have her dessert after she takes her medicine (popsicle, cookie, whatever). There must be consequenses. She is obviously suffering without it. Yes this might be a mental illness but it is affecting her whole life and she is suffering without it. You're the mom!! Take action now before so that she has a great start to the school year.

Just an addition to earlier posts.

Would you consider a more natural remedy? I have several friends whose ADD children did much better on a good nutritional supplement which is delicious tasting (vanilla or chocolate) and you mix it in milk or water. One child got off his meds completely and his grades went up 10 points across the board. Another child was never medicated (his mom is a kindergarten teacher and saw many of the problems with medicated children), but when he wanted to get his learner's permit, they were so worried about his focus. He has now graduated from college (with honors) and has done great. Let me know if you want more info or even a chance to talk to these folks.

I agree that you know what is best for your daughter, and that you should not let her argue about the meds. HOWEVER you do need to take her feelings into account. It may be that Ritalin isn't the right med for her. Tell her that she needs to take her ADD meds, but that if she wants to try a different med you will take her to visit with her doctor. My son went through 3 different meds before he found one he could live with. He now takes it without prompting. And he recognizes the benefits of taking it regularly.

YOU are the parent. You make and set the rules. Taking meds should not be a topic for discussion or deliberation. Would you let her ride in the car without a seatbelt or a bike without a helmut? You need to do what is best for your daughter whether she likes it or not. Good luck. I know that it's not easy. I hope things work out for all of you!

Could you get the meds in pill form? My daughter is 8 and hates taking any liquid med because of taste. She has been able to swallow a pill for well over a year. It works for her. It probably would depend on the size and shape of the pill. Can you talk to the pharmacist? I would sugest that her first attempt at a pill be with a smaller, coated, easy to swallow pill. Of course, there might be something more than taste that she is just not able to express to you. Hope this helps.

1 / 3