Help! My Daughter Is in Pain

My daughter is 26 months old. 5 days ago she came out of her bedroom limping. she was not crying she was playing and laughing so we put her back to bed. about 3 hours later she woke up SCREAMING and crying. she would not move her right leg she could not walk for 30 mins she just cried nothing helped. i took her straight to the e.r. they did xrays of her hip knee and leg nothing broke no abnormalities nothing. we went home and went to bed the next day she was limping but no more pain. the next day the limp went away. the next day she was taking her nap and woke up screaming in pain again so back to the er we went. they had no answers and requested an MRI. her family dr said she was jsut constipated and refused to give her sedation meds to have the MRI done. Does any have any idea what could cause the terriable pain to come and go. has anyone ever heard of constapation so bad your child limps for 2 days? i am open to any and all ideas

What about leg cramps. They will wake you at night like that. Just a thought. Try giving her more bananas, see if it works. If it is constipation, that might help also. I wouldn't think constipation would cause leg pain. Stomach and back pain ,yes, but leg pain????

I would try a chiropractor, most of them see children. My daughters hip rolled out of place, it was so minor that some one reading an x-ray would not have seen in, or would have thought it was to minor to report, this is what the chiropractor told us. she went once a month from 3-8 months cause she couldn't use the bathroom, so the chiropractor adjustments helped her use the bathroom regular. Its worth a try, i would take her and let the chiropractor look at her, and maybe its something small, but if its in the leg it can cause a lot of pain. I hope you find out what is going on. good luck

A simple xray will show whether she is truly constipated or not. You can see the impacted bowels. I don't know, but maybe they could even tell with a sonogram. I understand that people, especially children, should not be exposed to MRI's and xrays unnecessarily, but this seems ridiculous that the doctor wont prescribe sedation. I would insist on an xray or ultrasound to prove the constipation, and if they agree and it is that, you will know what to do from there. If the doctor refuses or the results don't show constipation, get another doctor. You don't have to stay with the same pediatrician.

Did the doctor prescribe anything for the constipation? If you are constipated to the point of pain (and yes, it can get pretty bad), something needs to be done medically. Fiber and prunes won't cut it. There is a liquid laxative you can drink, makes you feel awful and crampy, but it takes care of it. I don't know what they give to children, but that is what they do for adults. If the doctor hasn't done anything for her at all, I would not hesitate to find a new doctor.

My oldest son was walking great. At age 18 months he just stopped walking. My pediatrician sent me to Dr. Mark Christofersen at Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance. He found a rare kind of infection between the joints in his foot. He did surgery on my son and he was in the hospital for 7 days. Dr. Chris told me that if I had not been so persistent about something being wrong with my son that the infection could have crippled my son. Dr. Chris is a great pediatric orthopedist.

http://www.toa.com/physician/detail.cfm/doc_id/A79C6732-1...

I was reading some posts-growing pains could be the culprit, but I am especially aware that dehydration-which goes hand in hand with constipation, also goes hand in hand with muscle cramps. I get these alot, I am 9 mos. pregnant ans live off of coffee and hate hate hate water. Try more water, if she hates it,too, try orange juice, which is high in potassium(like bananas) and especially good at combatting leg cramps-which usually happen at night, too

H., I have to admit that I really would find another doctor. You can't get a good MRI without being very still, which is next to impossible for a child. Years ago my niece had a pediatrician who refused to have her sedated for a catheter in her urethra, and that was such a nightmare. My S-I-L found a different doctor to help treat the underlying condition, and that doctor was appalled that the first ped would subject a young child to that. You don't have to put up with that, you know. An MRI machine is scary to adults, much less children, with the loud knocking noises and even the fear of being closed in for an "undetermined" amount of time.

Before accepting the diagnosis of constipation, read up on the kind of foods she should be eating so that you treat constipation naturally, and pay attention to her stools.

What Tara Lynne is sending you on the link is scary, but you need to be informed if that could possibly be what's wrong. Best to get a second opinion.

Best of luck to you and your DD.

I've never come across this myself, but being a stay at home mom and watching the TLC channel all day, they show people with weird side effects for all sorts of more serious problems! I would defiantly seek another doctor and get the MRI.

Did they rule out a dislocated hip or knee. Like others have said constipation can be found by an x-ray. Also growing pains are very real. When my daughter was about 2 and a half she wouldnt step down on her feet. She started crawling again, wouldnt walk at all. I took her to her dr and they did x-rays and found nothing wrong and we decided it was growing pains. This lasted about 2 weeks then not to long later I had to buy her a new shoe size. I really hope you figure this out and its nothing serious.

My daughter also had a bacterial infection in her leg and was in pain as well. They did a simple drainage surgery. It was a tough time since she was only 5 months old.

I sent you posting to a friend that her son had some similar symptons. I felt she might be able to give you insight on how to handle this.

Dot Dunn January 14 at 10:41pm
Ok,I am not going to try to scare you and I pray that this is different than our pain.....Dec 6,2007 our 4 year old had pain in his leg and hip area.We went to our doctor and he sent us to Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital.Found NOTHING.Everything was ok.Did not run any tests....other than blood.
We played with off and on pain until January 18,2008.Somedays Andy would be fine,some days he could not walk.On this day,Andy got a fever at school.We went back to doctor and was sent to Vandy Childrens Er again.We explained that we were not leaving until we knew what was going on.
The next day we were told that Andy had cancer...a rare cancer...Neuroblastoma,Stage IV high risk but many more tests would need to be run to make sure.By the end of the week,Andy had about 2 weeks to live unless we got chemo started immediatly.
Now,this is a VERY RARE case.But my advice would be to maybe get a CT scan.They do not take long.That would show constipation.We had that problem in the middle of chemo.
It just is not worth not getting checked out.Again,our case is very RARE>
Please do not let this scare you but it is worth getting checked out.
Praying,
Dot
www.caringbridge.org/visit/andydunn

1 / 3