Help! My Cat Won't Stop Meowing!!!

I'm hoping someone out there can help ... I have a 7 year old male cat ("Quimby), who, until recently, has been a great cat. Starting in January or February of this year, he started meowing more than normal. (He has always been a little vocal) It has now gotten to the point where if he's not sleeping, the only thing he does is meow. Sometimes it's almost a shrieking sound. He wakes us up every hour during the night. It's terrible. (I'm not exaggerating when I say he meows all the time - he is getting hoarse, but hasn't quite lost his "voice")

We did take him to the vet, and she ran every test imaginable on him - he has a clean bill of health.

We tried Feliway - did not notice any difference.

Tried kitty Prozac - no effect.

We are now on alprazolam (Xanax) - the only thing this does is sedate him to the point where his hind legs don't really work - he is very uncoordinated, can't jump, etc. (apparently a common side effect) He still has it in him to meow. Excessively.

I should also mention I have an 18 month old son ("Alex"). Before my son was born, Quimby was my "baby". He hasn't exhibited any signs of jealousy, and is not aggressive toward my son.

We are at wits end and have no idea what else we can do. My husband wants to give Quimby away, but I don't think I can do it. I also don't think it's fair to keep him "sedated" just so we can tolerate him (which isn't even working).

I'm sorry this is so long.

Does anyone have any ideas?!?!?
We are open to just about anything.

Thanks so much.

Based on some of the posts here, I thought I should provide an update.

Contrary to some opinions, I still spend a great deal of time with Quimby, but have been making more of an effort lately. I carried him around in a Baby Bjorn last night for about an hour -- that was the quietest he's been all week. Unfortunately, carrying him around like that every day is not an option.

I spoke with our vet again yesterday, and she was stumped - she couldn't believe that he was still meowing despite the drugs. She recommended speaking to a cat behaviorist, as well as trying to find another cat to bring into our home on a temporary basis to see if a companion would help. (Our other cat died last month, so Quimby is probably feeling a bit lonely from that as well. -- However, the meowing problem started BEFORE the other cat died.)

Does anyone know of a cat rescue organization that would allow me to "foster" a cat/kitten to determine if that would make a difference? If it helps Quimby, we'd adopt another in an instant.

Thanks for the help.
----
UPDATE -- SATURDAY 7/28 -- Yesterday I had some "focused playtime" with Quimby - away from both my son and my husband - we played alone for about 15 minutes, with a catnip toy. He actually slept through the night, and only woke us up when it was time for his breakfast (around 7:15 a.m.). I also bought another "Feliway" diffuser for our bedroom. Not sure which one it was that helped, but I'm hopeful that he's starting to get better.

I noticed my 2 non vocal cats becoming very vocal after my son started to walk. I give them exclusive attention in the evenings and that seems to help. I'd think he wants attention (?)

http://www.adoptapet-il.org/volunteer.php#fosterhome

http://www.almosthomefoundation.org/fosterhomes.html

http://www.save-a-pet-il.org/participate.asp

Jen,

Here are some links to local shelters that use foster homes. My husband and I were a foster home for a German Shepherd rescue when we first were together and it was a great thing to do. The hardest part was getting rid of "Arby" when it was time.

I hope this works and gives Quimby what he needs to feel better.

Hi, my cat also does the same thing. He's about 9 and meows like crazy. He does that loud terribly annoying meow that drives you crazy. I've had him for 9 years and he has always meowed, but it got worse about 1&1/2 yrs. ago when we had to put our other cat to sleep (his buddy). We are thinking about getting another cat for him, but my husband has terrible cat allergies and would have to get used to another cat. If my husband had it his way, he would get rid of the cat, but that won't happen. I really think you should get a compainion for your cat. My old dog (passed away now) stopped barking as soon as my daughter was born, he never ever barked again. Animals adjudt differently to changes and it's hard for them to take in sometimes. In the meantime, we are also woken up by our cat, so you're not alone!

This is so sad. Poor baby sounds like he is in need of attention, since it sounds like he got more of it before the baby came along.

Is he neutered? I am assuming he is. I know kids take up a lot of your time but have you considered adopting a friend for him from the shelter? It might be a great solution, and you'd be saving the life of a homeless kitty.

Good luck! I hope you find a solution that makes you and Quimby happy!

Jen:

try talking to someone at Walsh Homeopathic in Evanston - they may have a homeopathic remedy that you can try.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc
www.lactationsupportgroup.com

Just a thought, but have you tried introducing a new "toy" to his enviornment? Maybe a new nip toy, post or box. Also, I have a male that is an indoor cat. When a new cat is in the neighborhood, he will be more vocal than usual. I leave the backdoor open so he can sit right at the screen. That seems to help. Good luck.

I feel your pain. We have a 1 year old son and even since he was born, our cat does the same thing. Every night he meows constantly from the time we go to bed till the time we wake up. We have been so fed up with it, i hate doing it but we lock him in the laundry room at night just so we can sleep. That's my only solution. He sleeps during the day. We try to give him attention but it doesn't work. So just thought you would like to know you are not alone.

I feel your pain. We have 2 cats, 10 years old, that have had chronic UTIs for the last year. They are ruining our house and it is getting to the point where we may have to have them put down. No one would want to adopt cats that refuse to use their boxes. We have tried all things, even giving them bottled water!

That said, do what is right for your family. I can't tell you how many people have given me the evil eye when they hear our problem and possible solution. I read one reader write, you wouldn't give away your child if they were having a problem, but then she gave her cats to her mom?!?!? Good luck! I know it is very hard! I have had cats my whole life and never had to make such a terrible decision, until now

1 / 3