Help! My Breasts Are So Engorged and Very Painful

My daughter is 10 days old and my breasts are way over engorged. They feel, esp the right breast, like they've been punched and kicked. They won't calm down in size no matter how much she eats or how much I pump off for relief. She isn't a huge eater right now so I have to resort to the pump but I know this tells my breasts she is eating more than she is but I don't know what to do. Ibuprofen and ice packing aren't helping and now I feel like I have the flu. My body aches all over but I don't have a temperature - I'm actually sub normal. With my first child, I did get a breast infection and had to go on antibiotics. Back then, my breasts were very painful and I had a high fever. I feel the same way now as I did then so I fear it's happening again except no fever. Any advice would be extremely helpful right now if you've experienced the same thing. I really need relief. Thanks moms.

I went through the same thing... hot showers helped 'a little', but I used a heating pad first, then shower and drank a wonder herbal tea called "Mother's Milk" that helped a ton! You can get it at the grocery store.

It took a few days / weeks for my boobs to even out with my baby's needs. They were definitely ridiculously huge and painful for a while, but that did go away. I did not pump, I just let things even out with time. I did apply warm washcloths several times a day in the beginning, which helped to ease the achiness. I did not ache all over, though - just the boobs.

When I was engorged I used cold cabbage leaves in my bra and also taking a warm shower and trying to manually massage and express the milk.

The nurses in the NICU had me put my breat in a basin of warm water for maybve 10-15 minutes and then pump.

When I first stopped nursing my first son I got extremely engorged, the more you pump the more you will produce, Ice is very good, no heat. You may want to talk to the lactation nurses at your hospital, they can be very helpful and will see you anytime, you don't want to take the chance of becoming impacted, I understand that it is extremely painful. Good Luck!

Be careful with the cabbage leaves because they can dry your milk up completely within a day or two. It sounds like you may be developing mastitus, which if left untreated will turn into an infection.

To treat mastitus, mix warm salt water in a bowl large enough that you can dip your breast into it. Soak your breast for about 5 minutes, then do the other one. Do this several times a day to help break up any blockage. If you think back to HS science class, this works by osmosis; the salty water outside the breast forces the liquids inside the breast through the ducts and clears them. Do compresses and warm showers too. Seek the advice of La Leche League...they told me about the salt water treatment and your doctor if you begin feeling worse.

I'm on my third round of antibiotics right now for breast infections. The doc says if it doesn't work this time, I will have to have them surgically drained. Breast infections are serious, and antibiotics are the best bet. Dont wait though cuz it just gets harder to cure.

My doc suggested moist heat and ibuprofen. When I went to the doc yesterday, she gave me stronger antibiotics, and vicodin. I'm still in pain AND I'm not producing much milk. My supply has gradually decreased as the infection wore on these five weeks.

Call the doc. If you have kaiser they will give you antibiotics over the phone.

Youre not simply engorged if you cant pump youself to releif. Engorged is when you have too much milk. You pump it off, and your okay. If you are simply producing too much milk, you still get releif when you feed or pump, then just fill up fast. You have a breast infection.

I had the same problem after I gave birth in May. The literature the hospital provided said to dip your breasts in warm water. It releases milk without stimulating them so they won't produce more. I filled up the bathroom sink and tried it a couple times and did feel some relief. It was pretty awkward at first but I was desperate for any relief. Warm showers or pumping just stimulates your breasts into producing more.

i just had my second and went through very bad engorgement, so much that at night i was in tears b/c my son could not latch on well and it was taking over an hour to nurse him each time. i was so upset and panicked, i couldnt even pump for relief., they were so tight nothing was working. well, my midwife came over for one of her visits and i was at wits end and she said, you know i bet you will be feeling better soon. engorgement is really normal for most women and it generally lasts 3 days, so just stick with it and you will feel better. it was so nice not to hear too much advice about what to change, just to let it pass, you know? with my first kid i was pumping each time and working so hard it was a lot to handle. this time, just let time run its course and it took just as long both ways. the night after she left, my boobs leaked all night long and the next morning were still big but not so tight, next day totally normal. so whatever you do, DONT STRESS! what i did do to help my son get milk was to massage the breasts with lansinoh very deeply. pull from the outside all the way to the aereola. the baby book by dr sears has nice diagrams and extra tips i wished i had read regarding proper massage techniques. good luck!

IT may behelpful to apply warm heat just beforeyou feed her for 5 -10 min it helps with the letdown reflex . only pump after feeding to make your breasts soft. try not to pump in between . also after you have nursed wear a tight fitting bra just until the next feeding. taking extra calculum with vitamin d and silicon. also this sounds funny but putting red cabbage leaves on yur breast can help the engoragement. good luck S..

1 / 3