Help My 4 Year Old Is Asking Questions?

My 4 year old daughter is asking me were babbies come from, how do they get in your tummy and how do you get them out of your tummy? Do I tell her? Do I get a book? What do I do?

Really they don't need much for an answer. Answer to the level of their ability. For her you might try that when 2 people love each other very much they have so much love that it makes a baby. And it needs to grow in a special place in mommy's tummy and the doctor helps them come out when it's time for baby to be born. But if she's anything like my kid she'll want to know more. We have a body book for kids that touches gently on reproduction and he was satisfied with learning that moms have a uterus where the baby grows lol!

Get the book "Amazing You" by Dr Gail Salz. It explains about babies, where they come from (uterus) and where they go (out the vagina) in straightforward language. There is no sex talk, no mention of mommies and daddies together, and she doesn't need that info yet. She *does* need to know that you will give her a solid answer now so when she's a preteen she won't have to turn to her friends to get the scoop.

I worked at a preschool once and the owner advised someone to just say at that age something like from a tunnel between the mommy's legs. Who knows how much information little people want so I thought that was kind of cool. Of course that might not be what you want to hear and others might think it's kind of nuts, but lots of times little people don't need all of the birds and bees stuff yet. They just want to know a little bit.

I have a child (now 15) who was always very inquisitive.

My theory was to always be very open and honest wiith her and establish a good communication system with her so that when she got older, she would know that we always have her back and we will always be honest with her.

I only answered the questions asked and in the terms that she could understand.

At this point, we do have a very good line of communication and can talk to each other about anything.

Good luck!!

I told my children (4 and 7) that when a Mommy and daddy love each other very much they have a special hug and a baby is made.
My 7 year old recently asked me if the doctor cut him out or if I pee'd him out (his words not mine) so I told him I pee'd him out. I did tell him before that I had pushed him out from an area between my legs that only girls have and he seemd fine with that.
I think a book is a good idea if you can find one really simple but kids don't usually need too much information to satisfy their curiosity, just make it really simple. I always try to only answer the exact question without going into too much detail, my kids then sometimes come back later (sometimes months later) with follow up questions and I answer them as briefly as possible.
Good luck, it can be hard to find the right words sometimes :)

It is such a tricky subject. You have to give them the answers they are looking for without giving too much information, but also being careful not to lie. Letting your kids believe that babies come out of belly buttons, or that hugs make babies are not part of the truth. They are just flat out fairy tales.
The best way to figure out exactly what your daughter wants to know is by asking her to tell you how she thinks it works. For example, my 3 year old son asked how babies come out. When I asked him what he thought, he said he thought they ripped the belly open. His idea for how they get in there is that we eat them. I was able to just tell him that the mommy pushes the baby out, and that God puts the baby in. That was enough information for him, and I didn't have to get into the ins and outs of vaginas.
What I told my daughter was that when God decides it is the right time for a mommy and daddy, he will put a baby in the mommy's tummy. The baby is kept in a special bag of water that protects it while it grows big and strong. When the baby is big enough, it makes the mommy's tummy squeeze until it pushes the baby out. She didn't ask for any more specifics than that except how her uncle was able to have a baby when he didn't have a wife. I just explained to her that God lets us all make our own choices, even if they are wrong ones... that her uncle and his girlfriend chose to do things out of order, and God let them make that choice.

We tell our kids that mom and dads make babies because God wants them to. Not details at all...that has always been good enough. And since both of our boys were c-sections, they think Daddy is a doctor and took them out of my belly. Works well enough :).

My son also asks questions like that. Here is how I answered (since he is still so little). Whether it was the right or wrong way, I don't know, but he has accepted all of this as fact.

I told him, "God puts a baby in a mommy's belly when the mommy and daddy love each other and God thinks it is time." This makes complete sense to him and he will ask me now, "When will God put our baby in your belly?" I figure it works for now!

As for the baby coming out, I had to have a c-section with him, so I told him that "When you were born, the doctor made a small cut in mommy's belly to get you out of me." Again, if you had a vaginal birth, I don't know what to tell you, but he was perfectly fine with that answer.

I hope this helps and good luck...he completely got me the first time he asked! :)

1 / 3