HELP! My 2 Year Old Can't Stop Coughing at Night!

He's got a terrible head cold and the drip causes constant coughing all night. We're all exhausted! The poor guy literally coughs about every 4-5 seconds; his throat must be raw.

I've tried benadryl to dry him up, and it worked alittle, he had 10-15 minute intervals wihtout coughing. But after a few hours, it went back to constant.

Any tips???

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!! Last night was much better; we put in a humidifer, vicks on the feet and chest, elevated the mattress and took a bath in a steamy room before bed. He hardly coughed at all!

Tonight so far is not so good, but still better. It's a very obvious post-nasal cough, so I know as the sinus thing gets better, so will the cough.

Thanks again to all!

Try propping his crib mattress up on one end a bit with a big book or a rolled up towel. (the end where his head is) The elevation should help with the nasal drainage. Hope it helps! Poor little guy!

My son was like that at 2. My doctor said it was asthma and perscribed Albuterol. The spray works better than the liquid, but it works, and it works almost immediatly. I've had pretty good luck with Motrin cold too. I feel for you. It's so scary when they're that little and they can't stop coughing.

H.

Our babysitter from Mexico taught me to make a tea that really helped my one-year-old's nighttime cough. I don't know why it works, but it does. Boil together water, a chamomile tea bag, a cinnamon stick, a couple crushed cloves of garlic, and honey. Strain and cool until he can drink it. Give it to him before bed and in the night if he wakes up coughing.
My pediatrician also recommended propping up the head of the mattress by putting a pillow or two under it so he's sleeping at a slant and fluids can drain. My guy just ended up in a pile at the bottom of the bed, but maybe it will work for you!
I have another friend who swears by putting Vick's on the soles of their feet. Sounds weird to me, but she says it works.

Stay away from cold medicines if at all possible. Not sure if you've been getting all the negative press on those products for children. Try something homeopathic...there are some great homeopathic cough syrups at Wholefoods or your local coop. These remedies work great for couphs!! Much better then Benadryl and you can stop worrying about all the adverse effects...good luck!

H.

www.youngsliving.com
my member # 946444

order Respiratory Control Essential Oil RC

It is amazing, all natural. My daughter had asthma, this worked, among other things, cured it!

Vicks vapor rub, humidifier, and prop him up to sleep

I have 2 boys - both have suffered from this. In fact, my four year old is going thru this right now. It is very frustrating and kind of scary, I know. First of all, coughing by itself is a good thing. Second, the best thing is to sit with him in the bathroom while you put the hot shower on. Let it steam up ther room really well and stay in there for 10-15 mins. That helps alot. I have prescription medication frankly (Tussi 12) that my pediatrician gave me.If he is 2, then you can probably get some - I would definitely call your pediatrician b/c you want to give your child some relief in order to sleep. The cough is probably so tight and irritating. Usually as it gets better, the cough will be more productive. Sit him upright too. Another great thing is simple saline solution ("little noses", "Ocean Spray"). You can buy it anywhere - squirt it into his nose a few times a day and it really helps to flush out the cold and it helps immmensely. Try a humidifier also.

UGH! my 22 month old son and i both had that cold 3 x's! the last time i used Chestal by Bioron cough meds for my son..you can get it at Whole Foods..also Cold Calm by Bioron 1/2 dose.
stay away from Benadryl..i gave some to my son and he couldn't sleep it was so bad i called urgent care and the nurse told me there is nothing in Benadryl that really helps children.
can't remember exactly what she said but try the Chestal cough syrup if you can. Also make sure he's getting his multi vitamin in the day and DHA liquid.

1 / 3