Help, My 15 Month Old Has a Cold

Hi moms, my 15 month old son has a terrible cold and won't eat anything except for his milk. He's very congested and doesn't want to play. Do you have any suggestions on how to make him feel better and what I should be feeding him?
Thanks in advance. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Everyone else so far... kudos! Great advice. I didn't see anyone mention yet about giving him baths. Not too warm or cold... but it will help clear out his nose. Also, they make a Vicks vaporub for babies that can help with his congestion. You can rub in on his chest AND his FEET. (This can also help with coughing)..
Juice and popsicles are his best friends right now.

He'll eat when he wants, if he says no to food, don't push it. He wont starve. Trust his body. But cut out the milk. Warm tea or gatorade

When my boys were little, I gave them Triaminic to relieve congestion. My three-year-old once described it with a frown: "It looks like pee-pee and it tastes yucky!" There is also a medicinal grape lollipop in the shape of a teddy bear that tastes better. Sorry, I can't remember the name.

P.,
My baby is just getting over a cold too. Her doctor told us to rub Tea Tree Oil and Grape Seed oil on her chest, arms and back. He also suggested we use Eucalyptus oil. We put some in a warm steam vaporizer and it has worked very well. (Only $19.99 at Babies R Us) She sleeps through the night with it on. We also put some Garlic/Mullein oil drops in her ears twice a day. She still has a little cough, but feels much better. And no side effects!

Also, since milk makes mucus thicker, you may want to try Rice Milk. Our baby has been drinking it and likes it. A whole wheat bread, such as Ezekiel bread may also help flush out some of the germs and toxins in his little body. If you have a juicer, try some fresh orange juice too. Hope he feels better soon!

Hi P.,

The ladies have it correct, milk causes more mucus and prolongs the cold and congestion. Sugar does damage as well. The best thing to do is find a substitute for his milk and work on building his immune system. My kids don't get sick anymore and I would love to share with you how I accomplished that feat :) It's really simple and inexpensive and I wish someone had told me when they were as young as yours!

God bless!

When my children got sick - I gave them Father John (because of the taste); I also gave them Sprite or Gatorade to help with fluids as well as an over the counter medicine for colds. At night we would rub a small amount of Vicks vapor rub, down their chest, down their back - put them in all over warm pj's and let them sweat it out.

It worked for us, we kept colds down to a minimum. After they got a little older we used Father John and Castor oil, when the weather changed. It sounds bad, but the Father John had the taste that they liked. Even now when the weather changes that's what we still use. You will have to ask the Pharmacist for the Father John - the last I checked it was behind the counter with the pharmacist.

Congratulations on your new addition to the family.

Give him several baths, but let the bathroom get nice and steamy with the shower before you put him in the tub, then fill it up and let him play. It will help him get rid of all those booggies and break up the drainage. It is normal for him not to eat. Just make sure he is getting lot of fluids. If he will drink water this will help with the drainage as well. If you don't have a cool mist humidifier, get one. Keep him by it as much as possible. If it covers him in water, thats fine. This will help with the drainage as well. If he has a fever you can give him tylenol. Other than that, the cold will probably last from 5 to 10 days and it always gets a little worst before it gets better. Keep an eye on his breathing to make sure it doesn't settle in his chest. You'll know by his breathing and if he has a cough that isn't productive. If he starts pulling or digging in his ears, he may have an ear infection. Just watch for the tell tell signs. If you have any concerns call your ped. And keep this is mind...his cold is probably bothering you more than it is him. Oh you can also spay saline in his nose then wait a few min and suction it out with a bulb...if he'll let you. Hope he feels better soon, mom!!
God Bless,
R.

It looks like you already have gotten some good advice. When I first read your post it caught my attention that you said he did not want to play. Have you taken him to the Dr. just to make sure it has not settled in his ears? It probably is just a cold but it might not hurt to have him checked out. When my son does not want to play, he is usually really sick!

I always try to use natural remedies whenever possible. Both of my babies have colds right now (an 11 month old and a 2 1/2 year old) and yesterday I took a bath with my toddler using Kniepp Eucalyptus bath. It's really quite potent and clears things up, plus it was a good bonding time and she really enjoyed it. I also put some honey and lemon juice on a teaspoon and give it to them for their throats. It's been proven to work as well as cough syrup, which is no longer recommended for babies. Anything you can do to distract him is good, and don't worry too much if he isn't eating right now. Babies are often not hungry when they're sick and as long as it doesn't last too long it's okay. I hope he feels better soon!

number one the first thing is that when kids are anybody is congested milk is the worst thing to give them. milk holds the congestion in. it forms a slim in the back of their thoat and holds in the congestion. so stop giving him the milk. offer orange juice, apple juice, cool aides, gatorades, flat 7-up or water down 7-up or even sierra mist.
and give him a little dimatapp (they use to perscribe it for our kids when they were little and you had to get in only through perscription. like maybe 1/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp dimatapp.yes the bottle says not for kids under a certain age but it is ok--like i said they use to perscribe it fot the kids. my youngest is now 18 oldest is 24.

1 / 3