Help! My 12 Year Old's Knees Have Been Hurting

for a few weeks now. I am really concerned. I was thinking it might be growing pains. He is going through puberty BIG time. Hair everywhere, his voice has gotten lower, and is taller than me!!! Has anyone else had any experience with growing pains? He hasn't falled on his knees or done any damage to them. He says they really hurt when he runs but at night after resting all night they are ok in the morning. If anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks!

I too have a 12 year old (girl) who is experiencing knee pain. We were told by the doc to take glocosemine (sp?). They sell it OTC in capsules or if you can't do that, and this sounds weird, have him eat jello every day. Jello contains glocosamine. Who'd a thunk it?!? Good luck.

I believe I was about that age when I started having problems with my knees. My parents finally took me to the doctor & it wasn't growing pains...I had fluid on my knees. The doctor wanted to extract it, but I was NOT interested in the procedure...sounded WAY too painful! We found out it was something I could live without so we ended up medicating with Tylenol for a while (couple months, I think) & my knees ended up feeling better over time. I would medicate him with Tylenol for a week or two & see how it goes...if they are still hurting after that, I would take him to the doctor to see what he has to say. Hope all goes well!

Hi T.,

I could have written your e-mail two weeks ago. My son was in pain for a month and I waited until his well visit last week to take him to the pediatrician. To save you a trip, here is what our doc diagnosed:

Osgood Schlatter Disease:

Osgood-Schlatter (say: "oz-good shlot-ter") disease is one of the most common causes of knee pain in young athletes. It causes swelling, pain and tenderness just below the knee, over the shin bone (also called the tibia). It occurs mostly in boys who are having a growth spurt during their pre-teen or teenage years. One or both knees may be affected.

Return to top

What causes Osgood-Schlatter disease?
It is believed that Osgood-Schlatter disease results from the pull of the large powerful muscles in the front of the thigh (called the quadriceps). The quadriceps join with the patellar tendons, which run through the knee and into the tibia, to connect the muscles to the knee. When the quadriceps contract, the patellar tendons can start to pull away from the shin bone, causing pain.

This problem becomes more noticeable during activities that require running, jumping or going up or down stairs. It's most common in young athletes who play football, soccer or basketball or are involved in gymnastics and ballet.

Osgood-Schlatter disease usually goes away with time. When your child stops growing, the pain and swelling should go away because the patellar tendons become much stronger. Only rarely does Osgood-Schlatter disease persist beyond the growing stage.

Your doctor may want to examine your child and get a knee x-ray to make sure the pain isn't caused by something else.

Return to top

How is Osgood-Schlatter disease treated?
Your doctor may tell your child to cut down on time spent playing sports until the pain has been gone for 2 to 4 months. Your child may need to avoid any activity that requires deep knee bending. Your child may also need to run at a slower speed or for a shorter amount of time and jump less often.
Return to top

How should my child's pain be treated?
If pain develops, ice should be applied to some areas. Using ice can help prevent swelling and pain. The knee should be wrapped with an elastic bandage and elevated.

A memory aid that may help remind you of these four basic treatment steps is the word "RICE":

R = Rest the knee from the painful activity.

I = Ice the affected area for 20 minutes, 3 times a day.

C = Compress the painful area with an elastic bandage.

E = Elevate the leg.

If these treatment steps don't work, your doctor may suggest that your child wear braces that will reduce tension on the patellar tendons and quadriceps. Pain relievers such as aspirin or ibuprofen (some brand names: Advil, Motrin) may reduce the pain and swelling. Your child may need to use crutches for a while to allow complete healing. As a last resort, your child's doctor may suggest surgery.

Return to top

How long will it take for my child's knee to get better?
It may take several weeks or months for the pain to completely stop. When the pain is completely gone, your child may slowly return to his or her previous level of activity.

Return to top

Is there anything that can be done to prevent the disease from happening again?
Your doctor may prescribe some exercises such as straight-leg raises, leg curls and quadriceps contractions for your child to do at home or with a physical therapist to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstrings. This should help prevent further problems. While your child is recovering, ice should be applied to the area after exercise to prevent pain and swelling.

In most people, Osgood-Schlatter disease goes away on its own with a little rest and time. If your child ignores or plays through the pain, the disease may get worse and may be more difficult to treat.

Big growth spurts can definitely affect the knees especially in pre-teens. He could be developing Osgood Schlatter's disease (where the quadriceps tendon-thigh muscle- attaches to the shin bone) if his pain is at the top/front of his shin. Or he could be having some patellofemoral issues if his pain is underneath the knee cap. I would take him to the doctor and get a referral for physical therapy. The PT can teach him some stretches and specific strengthening exercises to avoid any long-term issues. He would probably only need 3-4 visits to get a home exercise program going, but then he would need to do it as prescribed at home or during athletic periods at school if he is unable to participate. Good luck. hd

Yes---I have experience with growing pains! Get some of the chewable calcium ---let him chew a couple a day---you will not believe how that will help with the pains! The reason they hurt at night is the inactivity----the bones grow fast but the soft tissue(muscles, tendons) don't grow as fast--during the day when he is active it is fine--but at night the muscles and tendons start to constrict--thus the pain---calcium really helps this and muscle cramps!

Hello T.,

you can try a few things. first, make sure he's getting enough calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc. After calcium, the next most abundant mineral in our body is magnesium. Also, make sure he's getting enough vitamin D. And that he's drinking enough water. NO SODA no drinks with high fructose corn syrup either.

By the way, does he have any food allergies? wheat sensitivity? gluten intolerance?
he can put some lavender oil on his knees at night to help with the pain.

has he been to a chiropractor? if his spine is out of alignment, the body starts over compensating.

what about his shoes? are his shoes worn out uneven?
is he using flip flops? or crocks? or shoes with very little support?

well, that's all I can think of...for now. Good luck! ~C.~

You have had some good advice so far. I too remember my knees hurting at that age and told my parents I had juevenille arthritis, they just laughed at me. It was painful and I wish they had taken me seriously. I did out grow it in a few months. As a mom, my own 11 year old complained of knee pains. I took him to a ortho and he said it was growing pains. He said make sure to get enough calcium during this growth period. He said white milk or flavored milks were ok but that chocolate milk somehow won't let the calcium be absorbed. Get at least 8 oz a day. We were conscience of his milk intake and he did get better.
Good Luck- my son also just got hair under his arms...he is now upset to be growing up and wants to be a kid longer, I wish he could be too...

Hello T.,
I have a 12 year old son also and he went through that right after he turned 12. He would almost be in tears it hurt so much...I took him to his pedi and they told me it was just growing pains. They just recommended for him to make sure he was getting enough liquids throughout the day. He still struggles with it but it has definitely improved over the last few months!! I hope he feels better soon. Sometimes you feel so helpless when there is nothing you can do for them...
God Bless

1 / 3