HELP! My 1 Yr Old Daughter Is Making Herself Throw Up

My daughter has started putting her finger or thumb down her throat & is making herself throw up. I am looking for a little advice/guidance on how to handle this. She's a thumbsucker, so I don't want to put something that tastes bad on her fingers. She has always been small & the last time we were at the doctor, she was off the charts (below). She said it's nothing to worry about, but we need to make sure that she doesn't continue to go down. So now I'm worried because of this puking thing. She did it 3 times before 10am this morning! The first time was when she was in her high chair waiting for me to feed her & the other two times were when I put her in her crib for a nap. I'm guessing it's a phase & part of "exploring" herself, but I really don't want her to be throwing up all the time (for obvious reasons). Has anyone had this problem? Do they get over it fast? What types of things did you try & what helped to prevent or lessen it? Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated.

My son did the same thing at about the same age. What really worked for me is ignoring it completely. I would just walk away. If she throws up clean it quietly and don't make a big deal of it. When she puts her fingers in her mouth look away or leave the room. If it continues when she isn't getting attention for it I would worry....but they do crazy things to get attention.

Hi -
My now 7 yr old daughter did the same thing, she would also hold her breath and pass out if she was hurt, but thats a different story!! Take her to your peds and have her throat checked, we did with our daughter and found out that she had 2 huge marbles of tonsils back there that were bothering her and she was too little to tell us!! She had a swallow study and they saw that it was really affecting her ability to swallow hence the gagging and fingers in mouth and sleep snoring! After they were removed the behavior stopped and she gained and grew a ton!! She was always below the charts as well. She is so much better, she still has a little gag issue if things are tight around her throat like turtlenecks or certain foods like bananas..Worth having your peds take a look:) Good luck

Hi A.- Not sure if this could be the reason, but you might want to check with your doctor about your daughter having GURD or reflux. We had a lot of trouble with our daughter being gaggy b/c of it. She didn't make herself throw up with her finger but would make gaggy faces (kindof like a cat trying to throw up a hair ball). With our DD she would act weird after eating b/c basically she had indigestion, but no words to tell us this. She is now on a low dose of prevacid every morning and it really seems to help. They have a soluble tab that we "melt" in a very small amount of water and she drink her "happy tummy" medicine with out a problem. Let me know if you want more advice on this. I'd be happy to talk more about it! S.

M. son did this and it totally irritated me!!! He didn't do it as frequently as your daughter does, but he would often do it until he gagged. I think we started out just laughing about it, but when he got old enough (and once when he did it in the car) I just made him sit in the puke (I know, gross, but I was driving home!) and we started taking a negative attitude about it--saying stop that when he was starting to do it. He eventually outgrew it, though we had another bout when he was 3 1/2 with him putting so much food on his mouth he'd gag and occasionally throw up.

Three times a morning seems like a lot. Have you told your doctor about the throwing up? Maybe she/he could address developmental issues that are making her do this and give advice on how to meet those needs in other ways???

Hi A.! M. 1 year old son threw up a few times this last week as well - the first was after gagging on a cheerio, and then twice more after "semi gagging" on other foods. I think he's just curious about the new thing he's learned, and decided to try it a couple more times. If I were you, I think I'd gently say No no no! when she does it, and try to divert her to something else. And then if it persists, talk to your doctor. But I would bet it'll just go away on it's own.

I would say the best thing to do is not react at all. Clean up the mess and try not to respond to your daughter at all. M. sisters son did the say thing at about the same age and she freaked out every time and then started to get upset. When her son knew he could cause such a reaction he did it a lot more and then at times to get out of time outs, leaving in the car ect. so try really hard to act like it didn't happen its gross and frustrating but I think that is what will nip it in the bud. Good Luck!

I have to wonder if part of the reason she is doing this is to get your reaction. I don't understand what you're going through totally, but was daughter sometimes gags herself and seeing the look of concern only made her do it more. It sounds like she is gagging herself for too long & making herself throw up. I got the most response from saying no & removing my daughter's hands from her mouth a few times, but if she continued to do it, I would ignore it. She rarely does it anymore. I tried to act like it didn't bother me, but she wasn't supposed to do it. My daughter is curious and can be strong-willed, so she tests a lot of limits. I get the best response ignoring something. She used to slam her head on the wall & I would say no and she would keep doing it. If I walked away she would quit. I would be concerned about it because it is hard on her little esophagus & beleive it can mess with her digestive system in the long run. Have you talked to your ped about it yet? God bless and good luck. I'll say a prayer for you now.

contact her doctor immediately.This is a problem and it's going to have long term effects on her health if it's not controlled soon. keep a diary of when she does it and any circumstances at that time and show them to your doctor.

1 / 3