Help! My 1 Year Old Son Moans at Night

My one year old son moans constantly throughout the night. He gets really loud when he is hungry at 4:30 a.m. My husband and I usually give him a bottle at 4:30/5:00 a.m. Is this ok? Should we just let him moan until we wake up at 6:30 a.m.?

Thanks Everyone,

Last night I let him moan for an hour from 4:30a.m. to 5:30 a.m. I couldn't take it anymore and gave him a bottle at 5:30a.m. I'll take your advice and stick it out until 6:30 a.m. This website is great!

I would let him moan through the night and not disturb his sleep by giving him a bottle. He doesn't need the bottle at 4.30am and you would all do better with the sleep. He will get used to not getting it in a few days.

Mera,

I would let him moan. My daughter is 6 mo and has that problem too. I say it is a problem because she sleeps in a room with her 2 sisters (they are triplets) and she wakes them up.

If she were alone (at nap time she is)...I would let it go...and have. Until she starts screaming or crying.

As for your son, he can make it through the night w/o food at this point. You just have to turn the monitor down and ignore it...unless you like getting up to feed him.

Best of luck!
Mom to 1 3yo boy and 6mo girl triplets

Feed your baby! Think about it. You are stuck in your bed and hungry. What would you want the people you trust and love to do for you...feed you so you were comfortable and could go back to sleep. It doesn't last long. It will not become a habit because the need doesn't last forever and he will sleep better if his tummy is full. He will also grow and develope with food. This may happen again around 16 or 18 months or during growth spurts. This time is short and you will get sleep again. Your baby only needs you for a short time before they are independent and you want the trust and love that comes with nighttime parenting...this is my opinion...I know there are lots out there.

I wouldn't let him fuss for more than 10-15 minutes. One of you could be warming the bottle while the other one is changing him. Keep him as still as you can and speak softly with no brite lights. Give him the bottle and he may fall right back to sleep for another hour or so...primo time for you and hubby.

by responding to the moans with food you are reinforcing that behavior. Leave him and don't feed him, he doesn't need it. Think of his moans as sleep talking, turn off your baby monitor and start sleeping better!!

Is he crying or just laying there asleep but moaning? If he's crying i would feed him, but at 1 year he should be sleeping all night. Try feeding him right before bed, milk and a snack, then see if he sleeps later. But if he is really hungry and crying at that time, i would feed him more in the day and later at night. I couldnt let my son cry if he is really hungry, but like i said, if he eats enough all day he shouldnt need to eat that early in the morning. If he is just moaning in his sleep, let him sleep until he wakes up. My son is 14 months and sleeps from 7-8pm until 10-11am, but i usually give him a snack before bed time.

My son (14 months) is a moaner, as well. He recently went through a phase of waking early in the morning (5am) and moaning or intermittently crying out. We left him in his crib until 6:30am. I don't know that he was fully awake -- I think his molars were coming in and bothering him. In any case, we didn't want him to become accustomed to waking really early, so we endured an hour or so of moaning.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

bottles hungry moans one year molars