Help! Musty Smelling Couch

I need some help quick. My daughter slept on the couch one night and had an accident. I took the couch cusions apart, washed the covers in the washing machine and had washed the foam cusions. My problem is that my couch no longer smells like pee, but now has this terrible musty smell. I tried Febreze but now it just smells like musty Febreze. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I have to buy new foam or is there anyway to get the smell out?

I agree with Kris, an enzyme is the way to go. Don't put them in the dryer, they would probably shrink, and don't put them in the sun since it "bleaches"/lightens fabrics.

I would just put it outside on a dry, breezy day while the sun is out. The air should circulate thru the foam and hopefully get rid of the musty smell.

What it sounds like is you will have to take it all apart again and re-wash everything with nice hot water and soap as normal, then-this is the important part- you have to make sure that they are dry. totally completely dry. especially the foam, thats the part thats getting that musty smell. you think that its dry, but the core of it may still be a little damp. it may take two to three days to make sure its completely dry-putting it in the dryer if it fits with dryer sheets helps, as well as if you can leave it outside in the sun helps best too. but you have to make sure that its really really dry. hug it and squeeze it against your face, and if you can still smell the dampness of it, do not put the cover back on, just keep drying it. if theres enough dampness, that musty smell can turn into mold and you don't want that to happen!

The vinegar or lemon water spray...on the foam itself (take off the covers prior to spraying or leaving in the sun as it is possible for lemon to have a bleaching effect when combined with the sun.) Then as someone else here suggested put them in the sunlight, preferably outdoor so they get both direct sunlight and plenty of fresh air. This is probably the least expensive approach, so it will only cost you a few cents and some time to try it.

Not totaly sure what kind of foam we are dealing with, but try to take them out again sprinkle with baking soda or a powder for carpets that you can vaccum up! Let it set on foam for a hour or so then if you have a shop vac works best, but vaccum up the powder! Also sprinkle on the couch under the cusions, unless it's a pull out bed you may want to pull that out and do the same! This worked great when my daughter pee on my brand new bed! Good luck!

Don't use your sofa for a day.Take the cusions outside and let them soak up the outside air.Let them have some sun as well.

Try a bleach solution, then dry them in the sun.

My father in law owns a cleaning company and he claims the best way to get out smoke, musty odors, etc. is to set them out in the sun for a day and let that bake it out.

try washing with vinegar. this helps with cat "smell" too.
do 1/2 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle. and scrub the foam with H2O and vinegar. good luck

1 / 3