Help Me! Spots on My Clothes After Being Washed...

I am going crazy with this problem. I use Tide to launder my clothes and Bounce dryer sheets. I continually get spots that look like either a wet spot or a grease spot on our clothing. What is causing this? I used to use liquid softener and thought that was the problem so switched to dryer sheets but it hasn't helped so far.

I used to have the same problem but I haven't used Tide in years. Now I use a combination of All Free & Clear (or the Kirkland brand), OxiClean (which they also make in a fragrance-free version), and 1 cup of vinegar (which eliminates ALL odors). I also add everything to the water to dilute and dissolve BEFORE I put my clothes in. I haven't had any laundry problems in a long, long time. Good luck!

I believe that it is the Tide. We had a top loading washer and used Tide and Bounce and had the spots. We switched to All (Free) and they seemed to go away. After buying a front loader, we couldn't find All HE, so we had to go back to Tide. I hadn't noticed any spotting until recently. I take the clothes I find and spray them with Shout, and run them through again. It does take out those spots, but I don't know how to prevent new ones. There is no other way to put soap in a front loader, and I am using liquid. I would suggest changing detergents if possible, or buy stock in Shout.

We were having a similar problem and someone mentioned chapstick does it everytime. Is anyone leaving chapstick in their pants? I think my 3 year old was. Maybe on occasion I would too.

Hi M..
We also were having spots on our clothes and determined it was the agitator style / age of our washing machine. Our top load, agitator style washer was over 17 years old and served us well! But it was time to replace it. For your sake, I hope the cause of your stains is from face wash as these other fine moms have found and not that you have to replace the washer. Good luck!

I used to use Tide and bounce as well and had the same problem. Believe it or not, Tide actually contains ground-up fiberglass as a filler. Now I use MelaPower and MelaSoft instead and haven't had the problem since. You can use PreSpot to spray on the grease stains. These products are free of harsh chemicals such as chlorine bleach, ammonia, formaldehyde and fiberglass so they are safer for your family as well. Plus, they are so concentrated, you only use 1/2 oz per load, that you will save money as well! Good luck!

It is possible that you have some kind of greasy substance stuck inside your washer or your dryer. Perhaps you could try to wipe out your washer and dryer and check out your hamper or laundry baskets also. Maybe some lotion or chapstick or something is sitting somewhere that your laundry touches and you don't realize it.
I had a problem with orange spots on my clothes and after changing all of the detergents and softeners and being frustrated for months I figured out that it was the particular face wash we were using. Anything I washed with our wash cloths would end up with sporadic orange spots.
I feel your frustration. I hope you find an answer.
Take care, B.

Oey, we had this happen, concluded that it was from the liquid softner we bought from Costco.
Our solution, threw the rest out and used a stain remover and rewashed. The best stain remover in the world is that old school bar soap looking one. I forget the name. My mom lives in California and finds them at the dollar store! Anywho, also what area do you live in? We are in Kalispell, Mt and during the colder months we are suggested to use hot water mixed with warm in the washer BECAUSE the water temp is TOO cold to wash clothes sucessfully with.

Is it possible you have hard water?

I always keep Dawn Dishwashing soap in my laundry room. Even after something has come out of the dryer, and it looks like a grease spot put Dawn dishwashing soap right on the stain and rewash, it will usually come right out.

1 / 3