Help Me Make My Oatmeal Taste Better!

Here's the thing, I like oatmeal. I do. It's healthy, it's easy to make (1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, dash of salt, 1 min 30 in the micro- done) and fills me up until lunch. But I desperately need some suggestions to make it taste better... and to just mix it up a little. My usual oatmeal routine is a little milk and brown sugar. BORRING! Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks ladies!

NOTE: I don't like those flavored pre-packaged in a pouch things. They gross me out with their chunks of mystery fruit.

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I'm a total moron in the kitchen (except for baking, my specialty!) and my husband pretty much does the major cooking- I'm in charge of breakfast and lunch :) These ideas are all great, I'm excited to try them... the cheese one has peaked my interest!

Update #2- I decided to make oatmeal this morning and pulled up my question to find some good suggestions- there are 40+ responses! I tried adding cheese this morning- I made my oatmeal with organic skim milk and added some sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese (what I had on hand) and it's really good! I'm pleasantly surprised! It's definately not your traditional oatmeal, but still really good. I want to try the pumpkin, chocolate, and all of the fruit and nut combos next. Thanks again everyone!

There is practically nothing better for you to eat than blueberries and they just happen to taste delish in oatmeal. You don't even need sugar they sweeten it up so nicely. Just through a handful of frozen ones in after you cook it and they will soften in a minute or 2. Bonus if you top it with blood sugar-lowering cinnamon.

Oh that is so each.
I use steel cut oat make a batch every week .

Add cinnamon/honey
Banana /walnuts/almonds ( my fav)
blue berry or other berries with honey

Yummy yummy

Cut up some fresh apple. Raisins if you like too. Cinnamon, nutmeg... A bit of maple syrup.

Cut up banana or strawberries. Blueberries.

Just about any kind of fruit you might like is pretty tasty in oatmeal. At least I think so.

A bit of cocoa powder with a dash of sugar and extremely fine ground coffee (for a bit of added kick).

Add any combination of the following the liven up your oatmeal routine:

Butter
Applesauce
Banana
Cinnamin
Nutmeg
Clove
Vanilla or Almond Extract
Coconut shavings
Dried Cranberries
Raisins
Grapes
Black Cherries

Try raisins or your own cut-up fruit! We get frozen fruit and we put it in the microwave along with the microwave oatmeal. My daughter likes frozen peaches (heated up in the microwave) and then we put a little bit of whipped cream on top. Peaches and cream oatmeal!

We also like cinnamon sugar applesauce mixed in. Sure beats the mystery cinnamon sugar apple oatmeal!

Add some honey, a little peanut butter, slivers of almonds, raisins or other dry fruits, banana, strawberries, blueberries. Applesauce, yogurt.

how about in lieu of some water, using unprocessed cider? just for a tiny bit for taste.. also, I like to add a little granola to it.. it gives it a crunch.... if you don't like the cider idea, can you add your own raisins and diced apples.. even apricots are good in it.. :)

like you, I too don't like prepackaged oatmeal.. Also, do you like yogurt? how about a small spoonful of it AFTER you take it out of the microwave? I think brown cow and or stoneyfields.. those brands are pretty tasty..

I remember answering a questions almost identical to this one a couple of months ago. I use the quick oats, but I do mine on the stove because I use milk instead of water. There seems to be something about starting with cold milk in the microwave that doesn't lend itself to thick oatmeal even if you've definitely measured correctly. Anyhoo! I put a few Tbsp. of shredded coconut in with the milk while it heats & then a few Tbsp. of chopped walnuts or pecans when I add the oats. When it's finished I usually toss in a packet of Splenda & another splash of milk if it even needs it. Yumm-o! I've been known to give the kids frozen pizza & make oatmeal for myself on nights when the hubby is working late &/or there are a lot of after school activities so too busy to really cook.

I like coffee creamer in mine, they make lots of good flavors--sugar free/fat free too :)

Oh that is so each.

Add cinnamon/honey
Banana /walnuts/almonds ( my fav)
blue berry or other berries with honey

Yummy yummy

1 / 3