Help Me, I Don't Even Know Where to Start!!

My BFF who LOVES exercise has talked me (who HATES exercise) into doing a 5k with her in 2 months. I can't understand why anyone would pay money to be tortured by running 3 miles but that is because I hate cardio!!! I am a physically"fit" person I guess and I do strength training exercises quite often but when it comes to cardio I basically do none or sporadically do 20 mins on the elliptical etc. I just hate it and have never stuck with doing it regularly. So we are starting from square one here and I need help and have no time to lose. I have no idea how to prepare and train for this...I am already kind of dreading it but want to force myself to do this just to prove that I can I guess! Plus everyone I know who does marathons and such seem to keep doing them for some reason so I am hoping some magical force will take over me and I will understand why someone would WANT to do this. LOL. Has anyone else gone from "non-runner" to "runner" and can share their experience? Thanks!!

My marathon friend and I (non runner) just had this conversation and she suggested googling "couch to 5K". I found this link:
http://trainer.active.com/couch-to-5k?cmp=33-274 sorry this looks like an ad for a program you can sign up for.
Perhaps this one:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Two months is plenty of time! You know - you don't have to run the whole thing either. There are always plenty of people walking part or all of 5K and 10K races. I haven't used Couch to 5K, but I know lots of people who have loved it! Three miles will go by like nothing!

i'm definitely a "non-runner" but Couch to 5K is a great place for you to start. You might find it "slow" because you're already fit, but at least it's starting point! Have fun! :)

We had a couple of friends that became avid runners...I never got it either. But I guess if there is ever a Zombie invasion, people like me and you are going to get eaten, while they will probably survive it. :)

Couch to 5K is absolutely the way to go. It's a 9-week program. Start today.

I did some team sports when I was younger, but at the recreational level, nothing in high school and nothing that required running. I hate running, and I've never been an athlete. I've been overweight since I was 15 and have held on to more weight with each pregnancy. I wear plus size clothing.

That said, I did my first 5K in 2008, took a couple of years off for pregnancy and recovery from some foot injuries, and last year did 3 5Ks, a 10K and a triathlon. Honestly? I still can't run 3 miles. But I can jog a mile or two, walk for a couple of minutes, run some more, walk some more, etc. until I'm done. I am definitely a "back of pack" racer but racing, in and of itself, is actually fun. I love the atmosphere, I love talking to others (especially other beginners), I love seeing people who are twice my age or older pass by me not breaking a sweat. In the triathlon, a 72-year-old woman passed me on the run and was cheering me on - I want to be her someday! I like going home and adding another race number to my collection. I love doing events with friends, but don't mind going solo if I have no one to buddy up with. And the training forces me to get off my butt and hit the road (or the pool or the bike).

I am 50 lbs overweight and built for baking, not running, and even I can manage to enjoy this - you can too! So, what's good about running? It's free and it's efficient. You don't have to buy anything other than good running shoes, you can just walk out your front door, get going, and 30-45 minutes later, you're done. The impact is great for building bone density and it's a great calorie burner and stress reliever. And definitely get off the equipment and get outside!

Couch to 5K. It's an app you can get on your phone or ipod touch. Best thing I've done in years was download that app and start running in September -- after 6 years off. Maybe you'll actually enjoy it. If not, then why do it? Just tell her you're not a runner. Running is hard on your joints -- especially on pavement outside. It isn't for everybody.

You do need to train outside and not on a treadmill. Running on a treadmill isn't like running outside, and you won't be ready if don't train outside.

Perhaps this one:

It's one of those things you either love to do or hate. Personally I hate running but love to walk. If you don't mind walking maybe you could do a walk/run combo to train or just walk the whole way on race day. Just throw on your mp3 player and rock out at your own pace.

I did it a while back. I did all sorts of exercise before, but never running and thought I would hate it..and I did for a while. I did a half marathon but I have backed off the long distances and don't do more than a 5k or 10K. Start easy...walking mostly with a little running. The couch to 5k program will give a good idea on how to start.

Running still is not my favorite form of exercise, but when I do I enjoy it now instead of dreading it.

Couch to 5K:

I did!! I HATED running, I used to cheat in junior high PE class and say I ran the designated amount, when really, I didn't. I always felt it looked boring and not being able to watch a TV while doing it felt as if the task would go on FOREVER. Then, after my second baby, I was living in a state that is very active, tons of cyclists, tons of runners etc... I thought, maybe there is something more to this running thing. So I started out with a designated point before I could stop to walk and before I knew it, the competition within myself kicked in and now I seek out running spots in my city. I've also realized, how much of a therapy session it is for me to run and leave all worries behind. I beat myself up when I don't do well on runs and I hate that feeling so the next time, my competitive brain kicks in and tells me I HAVE to do better this time around. I now have a goal to run a marathon at DisneyWorld in the next couple of years. It's weird for me to think back to my old days of hating to run, to now really enjoying it.

1 / 3