Help! I've Dug Myself into a Hole!!!

Several months ago, some very nice Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door to "share" with me. Of course, the ladies were so nice, I listened to them then and the many times they have come back. Well, I'm tired of them coming to talk to me--I am not interested in becoming a J.W., as I am a Christian. The problem I have created is that they think I am interested in learning more about what they're "selling" (I am not; however, I have probably given them reason to believe I am), and I don't know how to ask them to stop coming. I'd like to tell them something bible-based that refutes what they are trying to convince me of. I don't know my bible as well as many of you do, so I'm hoping you could give me some guidance as to what I could say. Of course, I could just ask them to stop coming, but I just can't bring myself to do it. In the future, I won't let the niceness of the doorbell-ringers get the best of me. Please help!!!

****Note: I have NOTHING against people with beliefs different than my own, I just don't want them interrupting my day at my home.

Tell them that you would like them to listen to you, & then you try to convert them.

You could also just tell them that you just enjoy celebrating holidays & birthdays too much to convert.

Go to Half Price Books and get the first book in the Left Behind Series (the series books are less than $6 each there). The next time they come to the door, tell them you have something you would like to give them and hand it over. That will be the last you see of them :)

Well, first of all, I commend you for giving them time. However, if you are not comfortable with them coming by, just let them know. There's no need to be rude, even if they are pushy. You are a Christian, so treat them as Christ would.

Secondly, I am a Mormon, and just to clarify, we are Christians. We believe in the same Christ and God as the rest of the Christian world. I only mention this, because there are misunderstandings about our church, and I am sure there are plenty about the J.W's.

Now, being a Christian, I believe that we should show others the same respect that we want from them. Think, if you had a sister or brother that you didn't agree with, you would still love and respect them. We are all still brothers and sisters and God's children; so, treat them as such. Also, keep in mind that when people want to be baptized into the J.W. church, they are required to knock on doors before they are baptized. I don't remember why, though.

Maybe just be grateful that it's helped you solidify your own beliefs and move on. Take care, and I hope all goes well.

I also agree it's best to just not answer the door when you see it is them. I do that all the time. If someone knocks on my door that I do not know, or that I don't want to talk to, I just don't answer it. I don't care if they hear my kids or see me pass in front of the window. There's no law that says I have to answer my door if I'm home so I just don't do it. I see it more as a safety issue at my house. And it may not be the polite thing to do, but I could care less what a complete stranger thinks about why I won't answer the door. Nowadays, people shouldn't be surprised. I mean, you hear about people getting shot just opening their front door to a stranger. We've lived in our current house for 4 1/2 years and I RARELY get "visitors" during the day now when I used to get several each week. I think most "solicitors" know to just walk on by. Even all my delivery people know to just ring and run 'cause I'm not going to answer the door.

I will say that when I have gotten cornered by people like these, I politely say with a smile on my face "I'm not interested. Thank you." They always try to get me by saying "Well, will you pray with us?" and I reply "No, thank you." also smiling. If they continue, I say "I'm a Christian and I do not care to learn anything more about your religion. Please respect my wishes and do not come to my house again. Have a nice day.", smile, and I close the door. I have never had anyone try again.

I believe that God expects you to be kind, but not a pushover.

They love it when you get to debating them, because that gives them hope and allows them to continue the "conversation." They are trained to keep at it & meet your objections. The best way is to be up-front and say that you are no longer interested in discussing the matter with them. You can say it politely but firmly--it's not being rude, you're not slamming the door in their face.

Dear J.,

I'm affraid you'd have to make yourself unavailable. I was in a similar situation and one of the ladies lived in my neighborhood! don't lie. just don't open the door. or have a stading appointment with a friend, so whenever they show up it's time for you to go to your friend's house. and you would be telling the truth. =) I also think everyone in entitled to believe what their heart desire however, sometimes if you listen and engage in conversation it's assumed that you want to believe the same as they do. (am I making sense?) Good luck! ~C.~

Before you do anything, pray about it. Pray for God to give you wise words to say and that His love would shine through those words. Pray for God to give you the discernment to know what to do.

Honestly, I know some strong Christian friends who invited Mormons into their home every week as a way to minister to them. (the Mormons knocked on their door first.) And our friends had the belief that if they were taking time to talk to them... that was one less family they are spending time with sharing misguided beliefs. But week after week, my friends, who are strong, well-versed believers, gave them evidence straight from the Bible and valid points, the Mormons had something to come back with. Or if they had no answer or challenge, they would just continue to point to the Book of Mormon, which is not a book we believe as the true divine Word of God. So everything in that book is invalid for us. They even brought some guy in (high up in the Mormon church leadership) to start coming by with them because they could not challenge my friends and felt like they were losing the battle.

So long story short, they are trained to talk it to death.... they are trained to have the last word... they are trained not to back down from what the other person challenges.
My friends had to kindly tell them that they were not interested in their religion and that they had a church home and they are Christians and will always be Christians. And they had to be blunt and ask them to stop coming by. They could also see by this point that they were not getting anywhere with my friends... so that higher ranked Mormon guy said they shouldn't waste their time at their home anymore. But this was after MANY meetings. Maybe 2 months?
Pray for God to give you the strength and the confidence to stand up for your beliefs and to have the courage to defend your faith and to be firm about how you know God wants you to spend your time.

The longer you do this, the more dangerous it is for your spiritual life. Satan is battling for your attention ... to take your focus and mind off of God and your Christian walk. Do not think that these visits are harmless.
I'm praying for you. God can give you the courage and wisdom to do this!! Just trust Him!!

I agree, don't lie. Because that would not be Christian.

Either ignore them or open the door and say "Hi ladies, I'm going to have to ask you not to come visit me anymore. I've had a change of heart about our talks, and I don't want to discuss my spirituality with you anymore." and SHUT THE DOOR. Don't let the ask you why or what or how come... just say "good day" and close it up and walk away.

Oh boy, I don't know what to tell you except I am sorry. It seems that ANYTHING said to them except a FIRM NO THANK YOU and close the door makes them think they have you.

I know I am frowned upon because I am very blunt, say no and close the door. I have learned simply not to answer the door.

I don't use any verses from the Bible, I just say I am not interested. They are somewhat pushy and when that happens, I get firmer, stand my ground, and close the door. I end up looking like a bad person but that is all I know to do.

I was approached not too long ago by 2 young men on bikes at my grocery store. One had the gall to get off the bike to "help" me get groceries in my car. I bluntly said, you are a stranger to me, do not approach me. He then wanted to pray with me and asked why I bought so much water. I asked him to leave me alone or I would riase my voice in the parking lot and things would not be pretty. They left.

I feel for you. I learned a long time ago that bluntness works, even though it is not "nice".

Hang in there.

1 / 3