Help in Teaching 5 Year Numbers

I need to teach my 5 year old son numbers 1-50 by february and i need help in how to teach him. He is just not getting it. He will start counting from 1 to 12 and then jump to number 80. I have tried asking him to write the numbers 5 times each, i have tried flash cards and he is just not learning them. He gets bored or frustrated. Help.

That's a pretty intense deadline for 5.

Idea 1 - set the numbers to music. Make up a little song and sing it to him. Or there probably is an aducational CD out there with a song like that. I remember that's how I learned my times tables.

Idea 2 - drop the subject and don't mention it for a few weeks. If he isn't struggling with any other concepts, it sounds like he is digging in his heels on this and won't be pushed right now.

That's a pretty intense deadline for 5.

Brenda,
Try to make learning numbers fun. I personally feel for most 5 years olds that writing numbers five times each is drill work. (Especially if you are making him write many numbers during the same session. ) You could have a number strip or number line up in the kitchen and every time he is excused from the table he needs to point to a number and say what it is. He could further tell you what number comes before it as well as what number comes after it. (The numbers are a daily visual that he will see when ever in the kitchen.) You could play hide and seek with numbers and when he puts them in order he could earn a small reward. You could practice the 1-10,11-20, 21-30, etc... so it's not overwhelming. Incorporate numbers in your daily talk.

I love Lakeshore learning in Palatine for educational products. There are other good learning/teacher stores that I have used too. (I am a former grade school teacher who is now at home with my 5 year old twins.) Librarians are also very resourceful. Ask his teacher, too, because she knows his learning style and can offer you some advice on how to help him learn his numbers. I feel the hands on approach to learning is best. So make sure to include activities that have him actually manipulate objects to understand math concepts.

Good luck! J.

Perhaps your son is a visual learner? Kids learn in all different kinds of ways so I would consider a more hands-on approach - having him see what the numbers look like visually (e.g. using construction paper . . . . a blue one inch paper square = 1, a red 1x10" strip of 10 squares = 10, 2 strips of 10 squares and 3 squares = 23). that may not help with rote memory for counting by this deadline, but it may help (along with the other suggestions) of having him understand visually what numbers are all about in the long term. I also echo someone's sentiment to ask the teacher for suggestions (unless they recommend rote memory drilling)...good luck! sep

Have you tried any videos? I know Leapfrog has an awesome alphabet video that helped my daughter learn all of the letters and sounds. I am sure they have one for numbers.

I would also try just working with him up to 20 first and then when he gets that then move on.

I also agree with the previous post ideas. All I can say is make it a game and fun. Count how many steps to the playground, count how many pieces of a favorite food such as grapes or cereal, count blocks. I am not sure what the deadline is for but the kindergarden students at my school are only at 74 (I saw them counting today) and it is only January. Typically schools will count the number of days in the school year to teach counting up until 100 then they have a hundreds day to celebrate. Have him count the days until his birthday or a favorite holiday. The ideas are endless just don't make it drill work but fun and he won't see it as learning :) Good Luck.

I would consult your pediatrician about this. There might be help available to you, and you just don't know about it. Though the Illinois Early Intervention Program only treats children under 3 years of age, there is a program for these children when they turn 3. Also, do you qualify for Headstart? Good luck!
Amy

Hi Brenda,

The most important thing is to develop patience. Your child will learn at his or her speed. Trying singing the number for instance, 1, 2 buckle my shoes, 3, 4 lock the door,and etc....Make up anything you have to make them want to sing with you...

My 3 year old goes to 30 then jump to money figures...and I jump back down to the number I want him at.

Lauren

I do not want you to get nervous or panicked but coming from an educator and an educational therapist, you may want to have him evaluated. This does NOT mean there is something wrong however usually main tracked children by 5 know their numbers to 50. Boys are more delayed than girls so sometimes boys don't get it as quickly, but it can not hurt to have him observed by a free evaluator. I know there are early intervention services which may be free but I forget if that is through 1st grade or if it is only to 3 years old. I wish I could be of more help. If you are in the area and you are interested, I could take a look at your son's overall development and see what I think. This is what I do professionally. I work with children who are delayed or need remediation or tutoring for one reason or another. I think that cut-off is ridiculous and if he hasn't got it until now he probably will not get it by then. So, that being said, pushing him and making him aware of "failing" is not going to be good for his self-esteem. the last thing you should do for his potential progress and development is make him self-conscious of his delay. I'm sure you're doing what you can and by putting out this question it shows you are being an involved and concerned parent. If only more parents would do such a great job! Please let me know if I can be of any help. Good luck!

1 / 3