Help in Paying for College for My Daughter..

She wants to start college in the Fall 2008 and is wanting to Major in Veterinarian and Culinary. I live paycheck by paycheck. Is there any help out there for her? I really don't want to get student loans...I'm still paying for mine and it's no fun. Any suggestions?

First, congrats on getting her to college. Next, I found a book in the library that listed over a 1000 differnet scholarships. The other thing, is there is a lot of free money out there. Go to a local Jr. college and ask questions...they are the best at helping you find free money.

Did you claim her on our taxes for 2007? If so, don't do it again! She can qualify for grants (the Pell Grant specifically) if no one can claim her on taxes. If you have no savings for her, it seems that loans might be her only option if you want to continue claiming her. Maybe let her take out loans for the first year, stop claiming her, and allow her to apply for grants for the next few years.

When does your daughter turn 18? One solution or part of the solution might be for your daughter to start her own home based/direct sales business. She can work when she wants as much as she wants in between class and study time. I am a Pampered Chef consultant and can give her info about Pampered Chef and direct sales in general. Then, she should talk to other direct sales vendors and compare. Call me ###-###-####. Have a fantastic day, C. Landis

Hi L.--and good for you and your daughter! You didn't say where you live but my best advice is to encourage you and your daughter to visit one of the community colleges for information and a place to start; examples are the Collin, Dallas or Tarrant County Community College Districts. Look for the admissions and/or financial aid departments. They can provide guidance and answers to your questions. If your daughter is hoping to attend a four-year university right away, you need to contact and visit that school as soon as possible (see the same departments) because admissions and financial aid decisions are being made right now for the fall. The community colleges offer more flexibility, are less expensive and provide coursework that can transfer into the four-year school programs. It's a great, supportive and reasonably priced place to start. Good luck and may God guide and bless you all.

Yep - the loans are no fun. My mom went to college the same time I did so she took out loans for herself and I had to get my own, which I am still paying on. However, it is completely worth it. She can get a job and work a little during college which will help cut them back. Once she gets in and keeps her grades up there are scholarships for successive years whcih can help her too. No one wants to get loans, but it is a fact of life for most of us.

there are lots of grants available......check with her HS and with the financial aide office of the college she is interested in....congratulations to her (and you)

I was a single mom with my youngest in college. Contact the financial aid office of the college she wants to go & apply for grants(don't have to pay those back). You may qualify for financial aid also,if your salary & income is not too high. My ex was not helping her financially, so my daughter got quite a good financial aid package even with my good salary. Also, go online under scholarships(don't have to pay those back either)& apply for every one you think she qualifies & some you don't think she qualifies. She may have to jump through some hoops, like write essays(you can help her write them, just can't write the whole thing or do community service etc. Try asking your church, temple, etc if they give scholarships. Also, if she is in any clubs at school or band, drill team, Girl Scouts, youth group at church etc. They sometimes will give a deserving student at least something. Some businesses you trade with will sometimes give scholorships when you explain your situation. There maybe something with groups that deal with ADAH. Also, have your daughter ask her high school senior year counselor for applications for EVERY scholarship possible. Ask your Human Resources at your work and ex-husbands work (if he wants to help)if they provide scholarships for employees children, sometime they will donate $250, $500 or maybe $1,000 just because you are a good employee. My daughter went through on all grants and scholarships while she lived at home & dorms. When she decided she wanted her own apartment she had to get loans which SHE is paying back now. Ha!Ha! She wishes she had stayed in the dorms now! It is alot of work each year but it is worth it. Your daughter will get sick of asking & doing but your will have to keep her motivated. There are even tax credits for money paid for her tuition even if she pays it, & you can claim her until she is 22 years old, even if she works part-time. It is great. Best to you & your daughter.

Try going to fastweb.com. It has TONS of scholarships listed. Has she been involved in high school? Often high schools will offer scholarships to students for various reasons. Also, she may be eligible for government money. You can find out what she's eligible for by filling out the FAFSA, although I'm not sure if they'll pay for a non-traditional school such as culnary art. It's worth a try. Good luck, avoiding loans is SO worth it!

1 / 3