HELP! I Have to Supplement My Milk with Some Formula- My Worst Nightmare!!!

Hey Mamas,
I have been strictly nursing my lil'man and he is now 9 1/2 months. He takes plenty of jar food and cereal in addition. My milk supply has dramatically decreased and I spoke with the doctor about it and i need to start supplementing with Formula. I have been against formula from the beginning and still am, but for his nutrition and development it seems as if I have to give in and use it for a couple months until he turns one and can have whole milk. My doctor couldn't recommend any specific brand of Formula- just listed of Enfamil and Similac and Goodstart- with no preference. Can you guys give me your opinion on what you like best for your babies, and expecially if anyone has been in the same situation of needing to supplement. I heard that formula is much more bitter than breastmilk and i'm also worried he won't like it or drink it. Thanks for your advice!

I won't get into the bf'ing/formula arguement (my son was strictly formula fed and has thrived). BUT, I have a friend who's husband actually tasted tested breast milk, Enfamil Lipil, Similac and Good Start and he felt like Good Start was closest to Breast Milk. Don't ask me why he went through this activity, but I thought the info might help. :)

I love good start,it looks better, it smells better and yes it even taste better....yes i tasted it, i taste everything i give my kids. My daughter was a premie and i hated having to supplement and I tried every formula on the market, Carnation got the best result. Less gas, less spit ups and less stinky in the diapers.

I primarily BF and give formula once in a while or when I am out and don't have any milk frozen (have twins so I don't have a lot of extra) and I use Enfamil Lipil with iron. Kids seem fine with it. Good luck!

Sorry about your situation. I wanted to breastfeed myself, but I need to take medication that passes into breastmilk and can harm a baby. It's possible to buy human milk through a milk bank. You can search on the Internet for "human milk bank" to find the locations and ways to contact them. From what I hear it is very expensive to do this ($2 to $3/oz) and of course you have to put your trust in the company. And, actually, this is the case with formula as well - you have to trust the company that supplies it.

I fed my son Similac and he is a happy and healthy 13mo. old. He now drinks whole milk. We didn't use any brand other than Similac. If it makes you feel any better, formula manufacture is overseen by the FDA. If it wasn't safe, it wouldn't be on the market. If you register at www.welcomeaddition.com you are sent $5 coupons to help pay for the formula. They also make an organic infant formula if that is of interest to you.

I'm just wondering why you feel like you need to supplement. Has your son lost weight? Have you done a weight check on your son before and after eating to check your output? It may be that you're just going through another phase of breastfeeding. Not to be rude, but most doctors, including pediatricians are not well-informed about the actual mechanics of breastfeeding. It's not something they learn about in medical school. Anyway, I would recommend seeing a lactation consultant if you really don't want to supplement. There are ways to check how good your supply really is and to increase supply if there's a problem.

That said, one formula is pretty much the same as the others, although both of my children tolerated Nestle (Carnation?) Good Start better than anything else. Cow's milk is really nutritionally inferior to any formula and of course breastmilk.

I am a breast mom myself, who was told I needed to supplement, not what I wanted to hear. So I went to my Mother-in-Law who nursed all 8 of her children until they were three and asked what I needed to do. She was a LLL leader in Indiana for 20-some years as well. She said put my baby to the breast before and after every meal, both sides. Also nurse any time my daughter even thought about it. I did and my milk supply increased! Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process. there has to be a demand in order for enough to be supplied. Thanks to her help I am still nursing my healthy, never had formula, 14 month old daughter.

I hope this can help.

Even if you do have to suppliment some, still breastfeed as much as you can. I promise she will get a lot out of the time that she gets to nurse.

Let me just add go with your heart. No one knows your baby like you do. And ONLY you know what is right for her

D.,
Don't worry! I began supplementing at 7 months with Enfamil with lipil without a problem. My son had no problem going back and forth between the breast and the bottle of formula. In fact, I really didn't notice him preferring one to the other. As far as the flavor, I would not describe the formula as bitter, only less sweet than breast milk.
Good luck!!

I can direct you to a website about a 3 year old little boy who lost his battle with cancer this summer and then maybe we can talk about your worst nightmare.

Yes it is better to breastfeed, I breast fed my daughter for a year, but in the grand scheme of things formula for less than 3 months is not a big deal.

Hi D.!

I'm sorry you have to go through this! I had to start supplementing some formula when my baby was about 4 months old because I couldn't pump enough at work to feed him all day at daycare.

The formulas are pretty much all the same, it really depends on what your baby prefers, and what's easiest for you. My baby hated Enfamil, he would scream at the first drop of it. He seemed to be okay with both Similac and Good Start, but Good Start made his poop smell horrible and the Similac had some better packaging options like the 8 oz cans or pre-measured packs of powder for traveling and the resealable bottles of ready to use formula instead of those big cans. So I supplement with Similac.

But it started off a little rocky. He refused to take formula from me at first, I had to have someone else feed it to him. The first few times he got formula he spit up the entire feeding also. We had to use different bottles (Ventaire by Playtex) for feeding him formula and have to make sure to burp him after every 2 oz at least so he doesn't throw up. But sometimes he still does.

Most of all, try not to stress too much about it because your baby will sense it and will be apprehensive about the formula. Just relax and realize that you are doing your best for your baby and it will all work out.

D.:

at 9/5 months you DO NOT NEED TO USE FORMULA>.. first off what makes you so sure you milk supply is low? he may be eating enough foods that this is not necessary..

call me..

P., RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc
800 LACTATE

I too had to supplement the boys when I went back to work Full-Time and you know they took anything!! Seriously it was funny I pretty much used all those coupons and free stuff I got in the hospital they really didn't care... then when I had to buy it I wsa able to use the off brands...maybe you will be just as lucky. You can still nurse too and if you seriously want to bump up the supply you can pump and nurse and pump adn nurse... its a lot of work but it will boost the supply if you need to. Good Luck and don't worry you did a great job!!!!!!!!1

1 / 3