Help... How to Unswaddle....

I am looking for some advice on how to get my Daughter to sleep unswaddled. She is 6 months now and even thought my pediatrician says that as long as she is unswaddled by 9 months everything is fine, I feel it is time. My issue is that she falls asleep with a pacifier and as soon as I take her swaddling blanket off or put her in the crib without it, she goes right for her paci and pulls it out... I am not against a minute or two of crying it out but my two year old Son sleeps in the room right next to her and I don't want to disturb his sleep with her crying. Anyone been there????

Wow... I couldn't believe all of the responses that I got. Thank you so much to everyone that responded with their input. I have been just swaddling my Daughters arms and tried to do just one arm and I have also tried doing just a regular swaddling blanket and many other things. She is a squirmer and kicker and she keeps herself awake with all of the movement. I think the biggest piece of advice that I need to remember is to just relax and not stress it. I am going to keep her swaddled until she shows me, like my Son did, that she is ready to be unswaddled. I unswaddled my Son much earlier but she just may need it longer. She falls asleep perfectly on her own with the swaddle and is able to put herself back to sleep most of the time if she wakes up... I think my Doc is just old school and it may just be a personal reason that she thinks I should unswaddle.
I just need to relax like I told myself I was going to do and keep doing what is working!
Thanks again to all!!!

I swaddled my son until about 10 months. I gradually stopped. First I swaddled with one arm out, then stopped swaddling for naps, and eventually stopped for night. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Good Luck!

Maybe she doesn't need to be wrapped tightly but I don't see why she can't keep her blankee as her favorite one. I kept my daughters clean and folded under her pillow as she got older. She didn't suck her thumb or drag it everywhere because she liked it clean. If she ever had a bad dream we would calm her and she would grab the blanket and fall right back to sleep. One day she started folding it and putting it under her pillow herself. She's 34 years old, more than well adjusted, teacher and now appreciates the age of the blanket and condition it is still in. She keeps it folded and under the pillow where she feels satisfaction with the condition she's kept it in and has all the memories of her dad tucking her in at night even though he's deceased 10 years. No different than my keeping his oldest and most comfortable flannel shirt.

The best thing you can do for your whole family is to let her learn how to fall asleep on her own. If you get her to sleep before laying her down she is always going to want that. I did this with my oldest son and my mother in law said to me with my second baby that I should let him fall asleep on his own. I had 2 more children after that and it was wonderful that they knew how to fall asleep on their own.

I also agree with the lady that said to swaddle her with one arm out for a while and then do the other arm and soon you will see she will be fine without the blanket.

Hi. I was in the same situation with my daughter. You need to stop swaddling now. We waited to long and it just makes for a bad situation. When we stopped swaddling, we rolled up blankets next to her so that she still had the feeling that something was next to her and she wasn't alone in that big crib. She had a problem for a while with her new freedom of movement, but you just have to wait it out. It will be best for all of you in the long run. Good luck!

I guess my question is. Why do you want to stop something that makes the baby comfortable?

What about using a sleep sack instead? That will give her the feeling of warmth and security she needs without keeping her restrained. Here is the sleep sack website:
https://www.halosleep.com/products/results/?product_categ...

I would just leave her be in her swaddle. In another few months, she will be allowed a blanket or light quilt and so you can then substitute one for the other. None of the rest of us like to sleep without some covering - why should she?

Hi T.,
Just a couple of ideas (our son just stopped using his swaddle this week!- he's 8 months old). First, the only bad thing I have heard about extended swaddling is that you don't want to swaddle their legs because it can affect their hip growth. So, we just did the arms/torso and not his legs after he outgrew the leg pocket of his Miracle Blanket. The reason we had to stop this week is we are trying to help my son sleep more at night, and he was kicking and loosening the swaddle, which would get wrapped around his neck. Yeah- bad situation. SO, we had to do it cold turkey.

You can try swaddling with a blanket to transition. It's not as tight and easier to get out of, so your little one can work out of it and get used to the sensation of being "free". You can also try and tuck them in "mummy style"- where you tuck a blanket in all around them after putting them down. I would like to try the Halo Sleep Sacks myself.

As for the paci, we quit that at 6 months. My son was only really using it in the car and at night. It was more of a pain when he would lose it at night, and we knew it was not going to get any easier to kick, so we just did it. I didn't notice a real difference once it was gone. 6 months seemed like the perfect age to do it.

1 / 3