Help! How to Protect Artwork from Smudging?

I am hoping to find some home remedies (or other ways) to protect some artwork. My son colored with Crayola markers on a cardboard box that has a glossy finish. When I touch it, the marker comes off on my hands. Does someone know how to protect this so that the marker stays on the box.

Thanks!!

Take a photo of it and frame it. Even fixatives will have a hard time making it stick.
Artist and photographer

I'm not sure if this would work, but I offer it in case. What about putting a sheet of clear contact paper over it? You can cut it to size and simply press into place. Good luck!

In art class when I was a kid, they used clear Krylon spray.

Tape! The wide clear kind works, just be careful not to overlap the edges or you'll be able to tell that it is on there.

take a picture of it. you can try putting contact paper over it but i think you might mess it up while putting it on.

Try www.ShareMyKidsArt.com - I love this website! It's free and lets you store and organize your children's art. The thing I like it about the most is it has these little buttons so that you can email or upload to your facebook wall pieces of art; this is really nice for us because we live in California and my parents live in Hawaii and my wife's parents live in NY. If one of our children create something we want to share with the grandparents, we simple press a button.

The only thing is you need to scan or photograph the art, which seems like a hassle but it's actually fairly easy. Good luck!

spray it with hairspray.

when ever you do pastell or charcol drawings they affix it with hiar spray.

Try spraying the artwork with a matte or glossy finish, which you can find in craft stores. Just remember to test it out on a sample of the markers on something else, to see if the spray makes the marker run.

I don't know of any 'home remedy' but when I studied art in college, there was a fixative spray that would keep chalk and pastels from smudging. Perhaps check with a local craft store like MICHAELS to see if there is something that would keep precious masterpieces in tact.
It will be worth the investment of a few bucks to have that creativity around for a long time. ;-)

1 / 3