HELP!! How to Get Urine Out of My Sofa!!!!

Yesterday during a nap on my microfiber sofa, my 3 year old daughter had an accident in her sleep. She has been fully potty trained for a year now, so this was totally unexpected. I have tried to clean it 3 times and it still reeks of urine when it dries. I have only had the sofa a little over a year and was kicking myself within 24 hours of buying it after I realized that the seat cushions are permanently attached to the sofa, meaning NO COVERS to remove and throw in the wash. Up until this recent urine soak, its been fairly easy to spot clean. I have tried upholstery cleaner and laundry stain treatment on this pee spot & lots of water and absorbative towels. Not sure what else would be safe to use on the fabric. In between cleanings, I have been Febrezing it to death, to no avail because as soon as its dry you smell the pee when you walk by it. Not to mention my dog is all over the scent. I am really hoping to avoid the expense of having to pay someone come to clean it. HELP!!!!!

If you could manage to get the couch into the sunlight, it would help break down and fix the smell. Sun has wonderful properties to do that. Then, the baking soda should do the rest. Let it dry.

humm...you could try a product that breaks down enzymes...something that we have used for dog pee is called Natues Miracle...I know you can get it at most pet stores and it works very well...and safe to use

Hello,
You'll probably have to get it cleaned. I've used Red Carpet and they had great prices and are great. Good luck!

This happened to me and the only thing that worked was my mother's rug vac. It has an upholstery attachment that shoots hot water with detergent into the cushion and then sucks it out. I think you can rent them at hardware stores, I have seen Rug Doctor brands in my hardware store. I ended up doing my whole sofa and after I was done it was like brand new and smelled great. You need to make sure the vac has really strong suction so the water is pulled out well.

Walmart sells a liquid odor remover called Kids and Pets. It's a kind of cherry scented liquid that you completely saturate the spot with- it has alcohol in it that removes the odor for good. It worked when my daughter peed on our chenille sofa. I just poured about 1/2 the container into my couch cushion and let it dry (it took about 2 days). But the smell was gone. I found it in the cleaning products aisle- but it might be in pets too.
I know Fin and Feather pet shop sells a similar product- so other pet shops might too.

I JUST went thru the same exact thing. My son still wears pull-ups at night. We had lost power and decided to camp out in the family room. His pull-up leaked of course, all over the sectional sofa I have..it also does not have removable cushions. I used my rug cleaning machine's upholstery(sp?) attachment, and then used good old fashion baking soda. I left the baking soda on for 2 days untill the couch had dried completely (I had to use a small childs chair to put up there to keep my dog off!) Amazing, but I cant smell the urine. I think the baking soda really did the trick. Someone told me that when she was little it was what her mother did when someone had a wetting acident in thier bed....so I gave it a shot. I guess if it doesnt work at first you can reapply and leave on for another day or two. I actually put my face right down on the cushion and I cant smell urine..Thankfully, as I cant go out and buy a new one just yet :)

Try natural enzyme cleaners. This is the one that we use when our son has had accidents on the carpet. I have used it on a mattress as well. http://www.marketamerica.com/unlimitedshopping/index.cfm?...
There have been times that I have had to reapply it for a few days before the odor is eliminated.
In the interest of full disclosure: This is my webportal. We actually sell the product. Good luck!
E.

I have cats and there is nothing like the smell of cat urine when they spray, I used resolve carpet cleaner and it worked well, spray it on and let it dry and then vacuum it off. Good luck. K.

I've had a similar occurance! We have a pretty new clothe recliner that my 4 year old had an accident in while sleeping (also very unusual for him). We tried everything. The only thing that worked was a product we purchased from PRATT in Webster. It is called Unique. It works with enzymes and natural bacterias that eliminate stains and odors. It is normally used for pet accidents, but they highly recommended it for this as well. It is organic too, so it's safe. You saturate the area until the smell is gone.
raelynn
www.kidzcomfort.com

Go to your local Petco and ask for a product called Nature's Miracle it works wonders it can completely get rid of the odor of cat urine which is a lot stronger than people's. The animals can't even smell it anymore.

Hi Jennifer
The cushion is probably soaked pretty far down and whatever you're cleaning it with probably isn't going deep enough to get it all out. You may have to really soak it with whatever you choose to clean it with so that it gets down far enough. Another option is to have the couch steam cleaned. I work at a health food store and the Bac-Out product a couple of other people have recommended is something we special order for customers who swear by it.

1 / 3