Help! How Do I Get Hair Dye off of My Hardwood Floor?!

Updated on June 24, 2010
D.T. asks from Lansdowne, PA

While coloring my hair last night I dripped "Natural Black" hair dye on my hardwood floors and didn't realize until this morning! Needless to say, my husband is not happy with me. He tried Goof Off and it didn't do a thing. What is safe AND will work? And of course the one big spot is right in the entry way to the kitchen. Lesson learned. Ugh!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Phoenix on

a mixture of baking soda and peroxide, wont strip the wood floors

answers from Minneapolis on

I would call a local hair shop and ask. The one I go to has hardwood floors and I have never seen a stain - but someone must spill once in awhile, right?

answers from Philadelphia on

I would probably tell you that you need to sand and stain that area. That is a hard stain to get out,especially if it is permanent dye. Good luck

answers from York on

Magic Eraser might work, but it also might strip the finish off that part of the floor some. I just used it to remove printer ink off of my wood floor (it leaked when I opened it to insert into the printer). It was dark blue, and my wood floors do not have a hard polyurethane finish on them. It got the ink off, but left an area that looks a little lighter than the rest of the floor. I haven't tried fixing it, but it really isn't that noticeable.

Next question: Thank You to Everyone for Your Great Suggestions!