Help! How Do I Get Hair Dye off of My Hardwood Floor?!

While coloring my hair last night I dripped "Natural Black" hair dye on my hardwood floors and didn't realize until this morning! Needless to say, my husband is not happy with me. He tried Goof Off and it didn't do a thing. What is safe AND will work? And of course the one big spot is right in the entry way to the kitchen. Lesson learned. Ugh!

a mixture of baking soda and peroxide, wont strip the wood floors

I would call a local hair shop and ask. The one I go to has hardwood floors and I have never seen a stain - but someone must spill once in awhile, right?

I would probably tell you that you need to sand and stain that area. That is a hard stain to get out,especially if it is permanent dye. Good luck

http://www.ehow.com/how_###-###-####_remove-hair-dye-hard...
I can't validate this for you, but it may be worth a shot. I also found the peroxide/baking soda answer online. I would give that a shot first, seems less abrasive.

Magic Eraser might work, but it also might strip the finish off that part of the floor some. I just used it to remove printer ink off of my wood floor (it leaked when I opened it to insert into the printer). It was dark blue, and my wood floors do not have a hard polyurethane finish on them. It got the ink off, but left an area that looks a little lighter than the rest of the floor. I haven't tried fixing it, but it really isn't that noticeable.

1 / 3