Help Getting Caulk Residue off Tub After Removing Shower Doors

We had glass shower doors on our bathtub, but after my daughter was ready to get out of the toddler/baby washtub and into the real tub, I wanted a shower curtain instead so we took off the shower door and frame. I was able to scrape most of the caulking off left behind, but there is still a slight rough strip left behind on the edge of the tub and sides of the shower. Any suggestions on getting the last bit off?

Also, besides just using some caulk again to fill the few screw holes left behind, any suggestions for hiding the "scars" left behind? It's a cream colored shower, so matching the caulk color to the tub is tricky.

When we did it, a flat razor blade and a putty knife worked the best. It took a little bit of elbow grease, but that worked the best.

Im not sure about filling in the scrape marks.

A few years ago I would have told you to use lighter fluid to remove the residue, but now there are several products that will work better and faster. "Oops", "Goof Off", and "Goo Gone" should all do the trick.

The holes are trickier. Latex Painter's caulk might work. There is paint available in what look like finger nail polish bottles for touch up on bathroom stall doors or even automotive touch up paint would work. As long as you use the paint-able caulk, it should stick and cover.

If you really can't deal with the 'patched' look, I might be tempted to head to Menards, Home Depot or Lowe's to look for a flat rubber/plastic strip to go over the lines where the track was or even a row or two of 1" glass tiles in a contrasting color. Sometimes it is better to draw attention to it and make it look like a decorating brainstorm than to try to cover it up.

Contractors' secret is isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will "easily" dissolve the compound. Douse a cloth or paper towel, and just rub the area until it begins to soften. Do not use a razor! You'll just end up scratching up your glass, chrome and porceline fixtures.

As for the scars, depending on what your shower enclosure is made of, there are products (colored to match surface color) at most hardware stores designed to patch either fiberglass or porceline/tile...just ask a sales person in the bath department.

I would also try Goo Gone or there is another one we have called Krud Kutter. I think I found these at Home Depot. Ventilate the area well and keep the kids away, that kinda thing. I'm sure both will require scraping still.

Also, I thought you could get wall putty made in different colors like paint (can have a custom mixing). I would talk to the employees of a home improvement store to see what you could use in a bathroom. Not trying to be age-ist, but it seems the older ones know more than the young ones.

Hi J.
Have you tried some Goo Gone it works well.

Razor blades are the best way to scrape off the caulk. I'm not sure on the screw holes. Good luck!

You might want to consider reglazing the entire tub.

1 / 3